Agnostic.com

72 9

Boy Scouts?

My kid wants to join the Boy Scouts. I know they have become more inclusive, but still hold onto the idea that everyone should have faith. Both me and his dad are atheists. My kid says he believes in god (prob getting it from friends at school). Mind you he also still believes in Santa. He’s asked for a few years now, and we’ve always explained why we didn’t agree with it. He’s 10 now, and asked again. I’ve researched and there aren’t other programs/groups in my area that are comparable.

Do I concede?

I’ll support him with whatever he chooses to believe in life.

Thoughts?

DaphneDarling 7 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

72 comments (51 - 72)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always thought that religious boy scout troops were specifically those attached to religious groups or religious people. My brother was a boy scout and my dad was a troupe leader but I don't remember any religion involved outside of the mention of God in the oath. You might want to talk to some troupe leaders and see what they say.

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 15, 2018

Best time of my young life in the Scouts. Mind you that was in UK as opposed to the bible bashing US of A

The Scout Law is: “ A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.”

The Scout Oath. “On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.”

I guess it depends on how you feel about oaths and promises. Want to teach flexibility? Go ahead and sign him up. Want to instill a “my word is my honor” mentality? Explain that to him, and say no.

Now, about this Santa business... At age 10? Maybe turn this into a “You can’t believe everyone’s stories. Think logically.” gullibility lesson. His friends at school are teaching him about a magical man in the sky who can control everything in the universe. Show him how he was duped into believing in Santa, and maybe he can steal himself against the other con.

The Scout Law is: “ A Scout is Trustworthy, Loyal, Helpful, Friendly, Courteous, Kind, Obedient, Cheerful, Thrifty, Brave, Clean, and Reverent.”

The Scout Oath. “On my honor, I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country, to obey the Scout Law, to help other people at all times, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.”

I guess it depends on how you feel about oaths and promises. Want to teach flexibility? Go ahead and sign him up. Want to instill a “my word is my honor” mentality? Explain that to him, and say no.

Now, about this Santa business... At age 10? Maybe turn this into a “You can’t believe everyone’s stories. Think logically.” gullibility lesson. His friends at school are teaching him about a magical man in the sky who can control everything in the universe. Show him how he was duped into believing in Santa, and maybe he can steal himself against the other con.

If he wants to join the Boy Scouts, support him and get him signed up. He could do much worse. They do teach other worthwhile values and he seems to understand that the religion part is not a block to enjoying the experience. Teach tolerance. He will learn to accept others who may believe differently then himself. My son enjoyed scouting and I and his mother both helped out with the troop activities.

I was a boy scout and I played along with there religion stuff, but I knew I was just pretending. I do believe that it is a good organization that teaches responsibility to young boys

I personally would allow him to go and then talk to him about the things he is learning. I wouldn't try to change his mind about anything, just ask questions and prompt him to think through things. I do that with my kids and they are pretty good about coming up with reasonable answers.

I think the benefits of the program outweigh the problem. When you enroll, are you allowed to choose which troop he would be in? I would contact different troop leaders and ask them directly how much religion is involved in their leadership, and let your son decide. I think at 10 years old he should be given the choice.

You can't force religious beliefs. He may just want to be with his friends. That said, I had major problems with the Boy Scouts as a child. Their supposed moral teachings were sorely lacking. Their behavior didn't live up to my morals, even as a 10-year-old. Of course, maybe he needs to learn that for himself.

Being up north, I would suspect your odds are better at the troop leader being more moderate approaching this aspect of the org. No guarantees, but my advise is to just talk to the troop leader about it and get a feel on how much this will be a focus; may only be an occasional prayer. Given the diversity of Jews, Muslims, Catholics, Protestants, etc. in America, I myself would play safe with a moment of silence if I was leading the troop. Honestly, I'm sure he's more excited about doing the outdoor stuff with friends from school.

I think a lot will depend on the local adult leadership. Several friends and I were all semi-out as atheists while we were in Boy Scouts, and had no issues -- one atheist friend made it to Eagle. But I suspect other scout troops may have a stronger religious bent.

Give it a go I say. He can learn many valuable skills with the scouts.

Join the scouts. He can drop out if it's not something he likes..

I'd let him join the scouts. It doesn't have much to do with religion, and you can discuss things with him when they come up. It would be good for him in other ways.

I was in the cub scouts but never went on to the boy scouts. I don't remember there being a lot of religion when I was in the scouts. But then, I was in a catholic school at the time so less might have seemed like none. Things may have changed quite a lot since then, but I don't think that religion is a major component of scouting. It's more about tying knots (which can come in handy later in a not so christian way), camping, outdoor sports and stuff that a lot of young boys like to do.

I was a troop parent and I think we had one religious service in the 7 years that I was involved and that was at a jamboree. Look at the troop, talk to the leader, Who is the sponsor of the troop, mine was a VFW and we had a good time.

BillF Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

Let him be a scout, I was a scout and we did not have a lot of religion in it! You can give him your reasons why you don't believe and let him make up his mind for himself. A ten year old may say one thing in scouts and another at home. The scouting experience will be good for him and he may make some life long friends. It is his life let him live it.

this must be an american thing certainly the scouts over here are not religiously affiliated that said unless the religious aspect is so overt i feel he would probably get a lot out of it my kids loved the camping aspect and it gave them skills for when they were teenagers and wanted to go with school friends for a day or 2 without adults plus they made friends with other kids. Ild be more worried he is coming home from school saying he believes in god if your raising him in a secular/atheist household good luck

I would support it. My kids went to church with their Catholic cousins and my parents. I dated a minister for more than a decade. She mostly did hospice chaplaincy and they participated in volunteer work with her and some of her church group. They had friends who were of varying religious persuasions and they went to some youth meetings and such with those friends. I supported all of that and more. And I had honest, frank, on-going conversations about it all. It was very useful in having practical real life dialogs about existential issues, diversity, friendship, social injustice, and just about any other topic you can imagine.

All of these organizations offer positive and negative influence. And all of it is there as a way for you to dialog with your child. Be open to dialog and let them explore the world as it exists now while they are in your care everyday.

My three are adults now and well inoculated against blind faith, but open to different paths for themselves and others.

BSA Declaration of Religious Principle

[meritbadge.org]

I recommend the Scouts even though I disagree with their faith requirement. The Scouts teach kids lessons that will help them the rest of their life. The concession for faith is worth it. I hope your son will find that reason and evidence are superior to faith later on in life.

Maybe as a member of the Scouts you can get the Scouts to give up the religious requirement.

I have 2 sons that are Eagle Scouts and they are both godless heathens. It was a great experience for them and I might add they are both very successful adults.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:178099
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.