Agnostic.com

28 5

Has a certain song ever sounded faster than usual to you on the radio?

I don’t know if it is just me, but I can swear at times when I hear a song on the radio, I can swear up and down the song sounds faster than usual or the voices in the song sort of sound chipmunk like.

EmeraldJewel 7 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stop listening to commercial radio and start using apps like Pandora, Spotify and Deezer. Problem solved. I weaned myself off of commercial radio over thirty years ago. It wasn't very hard, considering it was about the equivalent of weaning oneself off of eating dried up dog shit.

If you speed up any song fast enough, you get Alvin and the Chipmunks!

Any DJ or karaoke machine can do that with a twist of a dial.

Some radio stations speed up the music so they can get more commercials in, True story.

Orbit Level 7 Nov 30, 2018

Not on the radio since I very VERY rarely ever listen to it unless forced to but say on youtube had it explained to me this phenomenon in that if not uploaded properly will sound faster and I've indeed come across this & it's VERY ANNOYING.
So clearly a technical issue.

It's trailers for other programmes that annoy the he'll outta me on the BBC

Oh I so agree! I am in Australia now and download the In Our Time podcast. A little while ago they started putting Australian ads at the front of the show. So annoying!

They speed up the songs to make more time for commercials. They've been doign it for decades.

Yes it happens

Drink less coffee.

wouldn't that be counter productive?
if you drank more - it might seem that the songs are being played at the right speed.
if you drank less, they might seem even faster...
no?

The movement of time can be a funny thing. Watch a hockey game and see how opponents' power plays drag while your team's power plays evaporates in no time. And I swear, if I wake early in the morning on Saturday, the minutes go by very slowly. But not on a work day.

godef Level 7 Sep 13, 2018

That's why they call the substance "speed!" The song will sound slower once that wears off...

Does not only happened in the radio. When I was sentimentally involved with a Pro Dance Teacher and Choreographer. I used to slow down music for her, it is amazing what difference 10 beats per minute can do. She indoctrinate me on performers speeding their music as they get old... because they can't no longer hold their notes while singing... example... go to a Rolling Stones Concert. The opposite in dancing... she did and still does choreography for first dance in weddings. Everybody thinks they can do a 10 minutes presentation. She limits those dances to 2 minutes. The longer the song the more choreography that they need to process and learn and if you are not a pro... in the greatest day of your life you are going to ruin it! Besides need not say of the adrenaline involved when all eyes are on you. Everybody think is a dancer until that point. We used to do like 3 different speeds. Often enough not telling at the beginning which was the normal speed. If they could master and keep up we will give them normal speed. Most simply can't keep up. In the radio is simply to add more commercials... all it takes is 10 bpm on every song is a couple commercials added every hour... pay the bill!!! Songs are no longer recorded with the Radio Format in mind... 2:22 songs. Radio Format Music is so 20th century! So Kudos to you for noticing how radio cut corners while adding revenue.

If you ever go on Apple Music, Spotify or whatever and look up a song there’s a bunch of remixes and versions.

There are possible differences in replay speed vinyl play speed 8 track play speed and copies of copies replay speed...the 7 second delay loop on broadcast signal gives DeeJays and talk show hosts to censor a caller or outside broadcast source .... musical performers send promotional music cuts for free to radio stations that are different from what is sold on cds or released on YouTube ....you have a good mind and memory to notice difference from live and studio production

Sometimes. I had a console stereo that the turntable played a hair faster on. Drove me nuts cuz I used it for recording.

We used to get local LA radio KROQ to play The Tubes "White Punks on Dope" at 78rpm. It was a hoot.

Stop listening to commercial radio and start using apps like Pandora, Spotify and Deezer. Problem solved. I weaned myself off of commercial radio over thirty years ago. It wasn't very hard, considering it was about the equivalent of weaning oneself off of eating dried up dog shit.

The Earth picks up speed as it slips between the gravitational pulls of the Sun and the outer planets causing the Earth radio transmissions to be compressed and forcing the signal into a receivable Doppler effect creating the faster slightly warped transmission. This effect is further increased when the signal passes through the circuitry of a satellite moving at 17,00O MPR, as if that was not bad enough if it is a time of increased sunflairs the radiation can make Johnny Cash sound like Frankie Valley. Science however is still trying to determine if part of this is the slowing of the Earths rotation as it returns to normal speed having passed into a more stable region of space, making the transmission seem sped up when it’s actually us slowing down... this still needs to be submitted for peer review but I hope it helps.

I don't know if your right but it is the most interesting explanation .

Easily done these days. You can speed up a recording without changing the pitch using digital audio tools. Or slow it down, for that matter. Or change the pitch without changing the speed. As a musician, I use the program Cakewalk by BandLab, a DAW (digital audio workstation) to do all kinds of fun stuff like that.

Faster, not really. Edited and shortened, yes.

Not for a while but yes. I always assumed it was just me.

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 15, 2018

It has been common practice for decades. They can say they play a certain number of songs an hour, but actually pack in more advertisements.

It has been common practice for decades. They can say they play a certain number of songs an hour, but actually pack in more advertisements.

Yes. This is caused by the Doppler effect. When traveling in your car the music can sound faster if you are traveling towards the radio station. Alternatively, the music can sound slower if you are traveling away from the station.

You will have to be driving very fast for this to be noticeable, like over 100 mph.

Well as for me, I don't want time speeded up! Just saying. Speeded up, is that a thing? I'm stoned, so it sounds good to me!
This is my 4th edit. LOL
No creo en Dios!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:178190
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.