Agnostic.com

3 6

LINK Paul Manafort just cut a deal with Mueller and will plead guilty – VICE News

this just happened

Paul Manafort is expected to plead guilty Friday to criminal charges brought by Special Counsel Robert Mueller related to his work for a Russia-aligned political party in the Ukraine.

The Special Counsel has scheduled a plea hearing for 11:00 am eastern on Friday after filing a new superseding criminal indictment against Manafort that reduced the charges against President Trump’s ex-campaign chairman from a total of seven counts to just two: conspiracy against the U.S., and conspiracy to obstruct justice.

The announcement follows reporting from multiple outlets on Thursday evening that Manafort was close to reaching an agreement to plead guilty with prosecutors. A spokesman for for Manafort didn’t immediately return requests for comment from VICE News.

Observers, however, have cautioned that a guilty plea isn’t the same thing as an agreement to cooperate.

Before Friday’s plea hearing was announced, legal observers said that pleading guilty might simply mean that Manafort wanted to avoid the stress and expense of a second trial, without having to divulge information to Mueller’s investigators about the inner workings of the Trump 2016 campaign in exchange for leniency.

Lukian 8 Sep 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Manafort provided valuable information to Mueller investigation. Gets plea deal as a result.

[abcnews.go.com]

On NPR, they were speculating that part of the plea deal might include his testifying against Trump.

@PalacinkyPDX Hmm. If Trum pardons him befor eNovember's election, then it looks liek he is hiding something. I hope they get sworn testimony before November.

I am of the onion that we need a constitutional amendment to prevent presidential pardons for anyone who committed crimes while serving in the executive branch of government or in a political campaign. If we want an honest government, we have to be able to hold government officials accountable.

My question - will a plead deal also include an agreement to cooperate with Mueller. I am hoping the prosecutors are not so dumb.

That's still undisclosed.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:178638
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.