Agnostic.com

6 4

QUESTION The virtual afterlife will transform humanity | Aeon Essays

What starts out as an artificial way to preserve minds after death gradually takes on an emphasis of its own. Real life, our life, shrinks in importance until it becomes a kind of larval phase. Whatever quirky experiences you might have had during your biological existence, they would be valuable only if they can be added to the longer-lived and much more sophisticated machine.

I am not talking about utopia. To me, this prospect is three parts intriguing and seven parts horrifying. I am genuinely glad I won’t be around. This will be a new phase of human existence that is just as messy and difficult as any other phase has been, one as alien to us now as the internet age would have been to a Roman citizen 2,000 years ago; as alien as Roman society would have been to a Natufian hunter-gatherer 10,000 years before that. Such is progress. We always manage to live more-or-less comfortably in a world that would have frightened and offended the previous generations.

zblaze 7 Jan 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that it is pretty early in our evolution to have much concern about being able to capture the essence of consciousness in a virtual state.

I feel like we will probably be able to defeat aging well before cracking that particular problem.

Medicine seems to be crawling along a lot slower that I hoped when I was young.

I could probably spend eternity in Skyrim. Once they patch the bugs.

How do we know this isn't already our existence?

Someone already mentioned it, but there was an episode of Black Mirror called San Junipero where this was the reality. Best episode of Black Mirror yet.

I don't know, 'Playtest' 'White Christmas' 'Hang the DJ' and 'Black Museum' were amazing.

@JeffMurray Is twilight zone for the 21st century. Nothing less.

I look forward to being able to post on Facebook forever.

I saw the "black mirror" episode considered as Best Ever by many. "San Junipero".

What a senseless endeavor.

Perhaps it won't be senseless 2000 years from now.
"This will be a new phase of human existence that is just as messy and difficult as any other phase has been, one as alien to us now as the internet age would have been to a Roman citizen 2,000 years ago; as alien as Roman society would have been to a Natufian hunter-gatherer 10,000 years before that."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:17968
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.