Agnostic.com

11 0

What evils do religions produce?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The biggest are all the wars fought in the name of a god or gods. Often both side believe in the same god, but disagree on traditions or the proper way to worship that god. It's rpetty foolish.

Next, probably is trying to make everyone fit into the same mold or box. Humans have evolved with great diversity and to try to curtail that by making everyone believe the same things and act the same way is terribly ignorant. Even if a god had created us he obviously created us to be diverse, because that is what we are.

Organized religions get hung up on dogmas which often contradict their own doctrines of holy scriptures. This develops a kind of bipolar mentality, which is bad for mental health. George Orwell dubbed this mentality as "Double Think", which is to believe two contradictory things at the saem time. Such thinking impeded progress and learning.

The divions of this worlds people if there was no religion thered be no wars over them

Claiming the Bible is the Literal Word of God and we have to Laterally go by what it says in it. for 1. I have lots of other issues, but I can't think of everything at a single time like this and script it here right now.

Against humanity. HATE, gays.people of color (any color), despise any other religions without trying to understand them. Trying to convince people Trump is religious. LMAO

They perpetuate wars in the name of imaginary beings, were responsible for AIDS in Africa, provide protections to child molesters, dodge paying taxes while taking in huge sums of money that they are under no obligation to do anything considered "Good" with. This by the way is just the Catholic Church. We could spend hours talking about the horrible things the other religions do.

All the prior post had excellent points. I would add that religion robs us of our humanity. I recently had a person tell me with joy in his heart that I would suffer in agonizing pain in Hell for eternity. He said he would be in heaven eating popcorn as he watched me suffer. My simple reply to him was I'm sorry that your religion has eaten away your sense of morality and compassion. Now he's an extreme example, but anyone who accepts Hell as a just system of punishment is as guilty of heartless disregard for what is morally just as this young man was.

So many wars and excuses for war have been based on religion. There's also how Europeans came to and stole people and land from others, and they used religion as a way to say there were ordained to do so. Slavery, was justified by Caucasians in the U.S. by saying the bible permitted it.

I feel that a very high degree of the world's ills can be directly traced back to some inane religion. Look at all the wars committed in the name of God. Look at how we have destroyed complete cultures trying to convert them to our brand of belief. I feel the question should be what GOOD do religions produce.

One of God's commandments is not to kill but I've been wondering how God could allow His "chosen ones" kill in His name.
Same is true with those fanatic reliious groups using their god as a convinient excuse to terrorize the world.
the constitution and by-laws of nations were largely based on whatever "holy book" they use.
Religions are the best managed and most profitable business entities in the world.

Many and varied.

The fundamental problem is that religion inherently divides people into those who believe as you do (who are, by definition, 'god's chosen' and 'good people'😉 and those who do not (who are, by definition, 'less good'😉. It is utterly, totally inevitable that religion is devisive and leads to contempt for people who are of a different faith.

The second problem is that religion measures morallity by stength of faith. If you are DEEPLY faithful, then you are 'good' whatever you do - because your faith over-rides everything else. As a result the religious can do anything in the name of god and still believe themselves virtuous.

Oh darlin' aptly put!! Finally a man after my own belief. Let me find a way to post my photo....

Elders don't practice what they preach, kinda unfair to put it mildly.
Religions promote divisiveness and discrimination resulting in hurt feelings and bruised ego and later on vengeance in a never ending cycle of violence

The largest Evil religion produce is WAR in the name of God or a belief system.

to kill in the name of God or Allah or whoever else you want to dedicate your atrocities against humanity . . . so, what happened to "Thou shall not kill"! . . .
certainly, they don't practice what they preach

in summary... Bigotry... even without meaning to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.