Agnostic.com

6 8

LINK EU to stop changing the clocks in 2019 | News | DW | 14.09.2018

when are we going to follow suit here as well. Clock adjustments are useless and actually cause health problems

The EU is doing away with the twice-yearly clock changes and has given member states until April to decide if they will remain on summer or winter time. But there are fears Europe is heading for time-zone chaos.

European Commissioner for Transport Violeta Bulc on Friday announced that the EU will stop the twice-yearly changing of clocks across the continent in October 2019.

The practice, which was used as a means to conserve energy during the World Wars as well as the oil crises of the 1970s, became law across the bloc in 1996.

All EU countries are required to move forward by an hour on the last Sunday of March and back by an hour on the final Sunday in October.

Bulc said EU member states would have until April 2019 to decide whether they would permanently remain on summer or winter time.

Lukian 8 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Brilliant! I hope this happens soon where I live!

It maybe coincidental, that the date is immediately after Brexit, but knowing my luck, the UK will probably continue with changing the clocks every year. 😟

I would love it if the US stopped changing clocks. I have hated it since forever.

Most of Arizona doesn't change. It always puzzles my why the rest of the country does.

@GeorgeRocheleau I know. In my former job I occasionally had to call folks in Arizona. I was not supposed to call before 8:00 am. So I'd have to figure out which time zone they were in. Oy vey! I tried to make most of my calls after 10:00 local time because by then most of the US was past 8:00, except Alaska. Didn't have to call there very often.

I have never cared much for falling back and I like springing forward even less. Not just because it was another one of Tricky Dicky Nixon's wonderful initiatives, but because it's a pain in the butt and you don't get anything out of it. It's about time it went away.

Maybe we should change the way we measure time?

It's only a matter of time, so to speak, before we abandon the entire notion of 'daylight savings time,' an experiment that has run its course. Quite frankly, I wish we'd all adopt GMT / UTC / Zulu and dispense with local time entirely. Time zones were created for commercial reasons, and time is, after all, relative!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:181226
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.