Agnostic.com

34 8

Did your parent(s) ever talk to you about 'da birds & da bees'?

What about you & your children?

atheist 8 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That was the one thing my mother actually got right. She started early, and explained things in the most clinical way possible. I've never had to have "the talk" with anyone. I don't have kids. Another bullet dodged.

@atheist 'Clinical' in that she used the correct words and stuck to the facts. As far as experimentation went, I was able to figure out most of that with lots of reading and equally curious partners.

@atheist Isn't that what one's youth is for?

Nope, got my first baby at 16 ;-p

@atheist no shit..today she is my best friend

@atheist You calling me mom? 😛

My mom tremblingly broached the subject when I was fifteen. My sisters and I just stared at her, but eventually I made some correction to what she said. She smiled sheepishly and said she could see that she'd left it a little late.
I educated myself with a book I found in my aunt's house when we were in the US when I was nine, on the biological details, but sex isn't hidden in Haiti.
I home schooled my kids until middle school age, so made sure they read library books on human reproduction, since there were illustrated books for all ages.

They started reading the books when they were too young to care about sex, so lacked the sexual curiosity, and ignorance, of their more cloistered friends.
I had "The Joy of Sex" on my book shelf, but my son didn't bother to read it until he entered puberty.

@atheist Yes, many Haitians were both Catholic and into voodoo, but in the country, it was only voodoo. Most of the Haitians hate and fear it, see it as a desperation measure to save themselves from curses, demonic attacks, etc. Their saying is "God is good, so we don't have to worry about Him..just the spirits."

@atheist No doubt. The Sumerian writings parallel Genesis Bible stories, except they were written 2000 years before the Bible, except from the perspective of an alien race that genetically engineered humans by combining their DNA with human ape men, to work in the gold mines, then called themselves "gods" and required blood sacrifice from their minions.

The origins of human beings according to ancient Sumerian texts [ancient-origins.net]?

Actually my mom was a geologist, so she was way more interested in rocks.

I think she was afraid I might start a landslide. 😉

Phhhfftttt! Well done, @Benthoven. 🙂)

My parents gave a us a book. I don't recall the name, but it had the drawing of a boy and girl holding hands while walking on a long brick road. All five of us got it. So ... no.

I tried to answer every question my daughter asked, whether it be Santa, religion, her dad's death, or sex. It just felt wrong to lie about any of it. Oh, and drug use. I refused to say I'd never even smoked a joint when she outright asked.

Kind of a cute story: once when she was 5 and going to the bathroom, she asked me, "When Miss Bev [who was pregnant] goes to the bathroom, how does she stop the baby from coming out when she pushes?" Naturally, I thought it was a brilliant inquiry. 🙂

That kid is going places!

@Akfishlady I agree! And I think it gives them a sense of confidence if they have the correct info before the crazy ideas start flying around school. I don't envy mothers of boys: they're so vulnerable, and yet it's often mortifying for them to share info on sexuality. I watched my sister raise three and was in awe.

My mom had books and talked to us about it from a very early age. I still got pregnant at 15. I was confused about ovulation. I didn’t realize that orgasm didn’t equate egg dropping. I understood the egg is released into the Fallopian tubes during ovulation, but thought it dropped to the uterus during climax. I was completely shocked that I was pregnant, as we never climaxed at the same time.

Silly@atheist

I do. Lol@atheist

My parents had a fairly intelligent and honest book for teenagers about sex, and I learned a lot from that (though it was a long time before I used most of it 🙂. They didn't mind explaining things to me if I asked.

@atheist Yes, in some ways they were. Although they were somewhat conservative in some ways, they were smart and educated. And they never tried to stop me from thinking for myself or questioning things (although they didn't always like or agree with what thoughts I came up with!)

@atheist The book was so exciting and interesting for me! Looking back, maybe that's my all-time favorite book, LOL

My father sat me down when I was about 11 and said, you know how sharks and dolphins reproduce, well it is the same with humans and if you ever get a girl pregnant I will cut your legs off.

@atheist yeah it did actually, because I knew he was serious. He was a sadistic prick.

We kids used to play together. One summer night when we were about 6th grade we called a game of Red Rover. Everything started all right and then a couple of girls started whispering and pretty soon the girls were all hovering around one of the girls and we boys were told there would be no Red Rover that night. And that's how we learned about periods.

@atheist Spin the Bottle was about as orgified as we got. First base was a big deal.

My parents left a small book to find called " your body is changing ". It told me I would be getting hair in strange places and my balls would drop. It did not tell me this would continue after middle age. lol

@atheist Hair in your ears and nose ain`t and if they drop anymore I will tucking them into my socks lol

We found out the wrong way...

@atheist. I'm not going to laugh brother... some one out here is going to remember something... and that's going to trigger something else...ugh!

My parents never talked to me. I kept on open dialog with my son from the time he was little on every topic under the sun.

I had lousy parents. My goal as a parent was to be different than mine in every way.

No, but my buddies did. 50's and 60's was an era where a pregnant teen will run away with the child's father.

@atheist Abortion was not much of an option. Women didn't had the options and freedoms of today. Different days for sure.

LOL no ... my mom never said a thing and my aunt said something really scary to me... not repeating it...

I talked to my kids openly and honestly. They still call with questions or to ask my opinion about things. Whew... Having not had it handled well as I was growing up, I was nervous with my kids. Truth, openness and honesty worked well for my 4.

I found my mother's copy of "Our Bodies, Ourselves" at 11. I was good after that.

Ahhhhhh......the simple answer is "No." A little more detail is that I was too scared and embarrassed to even tell my mom when I started menstruating. The longer answer of how dysfunctional our household and relationships were (after my parents divorced), and how that affected every conversation (or lack thereof) would be too long and bore you to tears.

No my parents never did.

My Mom told me how it works when I was about 10 or so. I asked her why people would do it if they had not been told that's what you need to do to have babies. She stammered a wee bit saying it actually feels nice to do it. I erupted: "What, such a piggery feels nice? People voluntarily do it ?!?" I think my mother was a bit taken aback by my violently prim reaction. I had a hard time imagining my parents had done it. Four times!

Oh hell no. I don't think I ever heard the word "sex" come out of my mother's mouth. I got in trouble once for saying "hell." My father wasn't really around much. He wasn't that far away, as his tire shop was only a couple of miles down the road, but between minding his store and traveling to various local race tracks nights and weekends to sell racing tires he was usually pretty busy. The cool thing about that was that I would get to go with him sometimes, but there was no talk about birds and bees -- only tires and racing. When he was home, it was all about dinner and relaxing.

Mom & Dad slept in separate bedrooms from the time I can remember. I know they had sex only because I exist and have three siblings (all female.) But sex was never, ever discussed -- at least not with me. I have no idea whether or not my mother (or father, for that matter) ever had "the talk" with my sisters, but I rather doubt it.

I learned everything through trial and error. I first had sex at age 14. She was 13. She was not a virgin, either. My parents let me go over to her place because her parents were home, but her parents were partying and let us party right along with them -- drinking beer, smoking pot, playing games. The gal and I snuck out at one point to one of the outbuildings on the property to make out. We ended up getting a little carried away and got it on.

So yeah, I had to figure it all out for myself, and I've always been a curious kind of guy who likes experimenting with stuff. I've learned a thing or two about it. 🙂 lol

As far as my children are concerned, I never really had the opportunity. Their mom and I split when they were very young, and I didn't get anything close to the amount of visitation that the court ordered. As a result, between not knowing what they had been told already and the fact that any time with them was at a premium, it seemed better to leave it to their mother. I don't know if that was the right choice or not, but it seems to have worked out.

Yes.I had to bring it up with my mom..at 8, on one of Bostons major thoroughfares at 2 in afternoon..I can still see her face as she explained erections...lol

Nope, almost become a dad at 17 as a result.

Not at all...learned by trial and error.

Noooooo....they were catholic and the most we got was "don't do it". I was interested in the medical field since I was little, so when I got curious, I got some medical books and learned what I needed to know.

I lived on a farm such a talk was totally unnecessary.

I'm sure they did and I blocked it out of my brain. My father did have a very extensive collection of Penthouse Forums in the basement from which I learned a lot. Like always pick up hitch hikers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18204
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.