Agnostic.com

34 8

Did your parent(s) ever talk to you about 'da birds & da bees'?

What about you & your children?

atheist 8 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

34 comments (26 - 34)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My mom had books and talked to us about it from a very early age. I still got pregnant at 15. I was confused about ovulation. I didn’t realize that orgasm didn’t equate egg dropping. I understood the egg is released into the Fallopian tubes during ovulation, but thought it dropped to the uterus during climax. I was completely shocked that I was pregnant, as we never climaxed at the same time.

Silly@atheist

I do. Lol@atheist

Oh hell no. I don't think I ever heard the word "sex" come out of my mother's mouth. I got in trouble once for saying "hell." My father wasn't really around much. He wasn't that far away, as his tire shop was only a couple of miles down the road, but between minding his store and traveling to various local race tracks nights and weekends to sell racing tires he was usually pretty busy. The cool thing about that was that I would get to go with him sometimes, but there was no talk about birds and bees -- only tires and racing. When he was home, it was all about dinner and relaxing.

Mom & Dad slept in separate bedrooms from the time I can remember. I know they had sex only because I exist and have three siblings (all female.) But sex was never, ever discussed -- at least not with me. I have no idea whether or not my mother (or father, for that matter) ever had "the talk" with my sisters, but I rather doubt it.

I learned everything through trial and error. I first had sex at age 14. She was 13. She was not a virgin, either. My parents let me go over to her place because her parents were home, but her parents were partying and let us party right along with them -- drinking beer, smoking pot, playing games. The gal and I snuck out at one point to one of the outbuildings on the property to make out. We ended up getting a little carried away and got it on.

So yeah, I had to figure it all out for myself, and I've always been a curious kind of guy who likes experimenting with stuff. I've learned a thing or two about it. 🙂 lol

As far as my children are concerned, I never really had the opportunity. Their mom and I split when they were very young, and I didn't get anything close to the amount of visitation that the court ordered. As a result, between not knowing what they had been told already and the fact that any time with them was at a premium, it seemed better to leave it to their mother. I don't know if that was the right choice or not, but it seems to have worked out.

My father sat me down when I was about 11 and said, you know how sharks and dolphins reproduce, well it is the same with humans and if you ever get a girl pregnant I will cut your legs off.

@atheist yeah it did actually, because I knew he was serious. He was a sadistic prick.

My Mom told me how it works when I was about 10 or so. I asked her why people would do it if they had not been told that's what you need to do to have babies. She stammered a wee bit saying it actually feels nice to do it. I erupted: "What, such a piggery feels nice? People voluntarily do it ?!?" I think my mother was a bit taken aback by my violently prim reaction. I had a hard time imagining my parents had done it. Four times!

No my parents never did.

Ahhhhhh......the simple answer is "No." A little more detail is that I was too scared and embarrassed to even tell my mom when I started menstruating. The longer answer of how dysfunctional our household and relationships were (after my parents divorced), and how that affected every conversation (or lack thereof) would be too long and bore you to tears.

My dad was a bird watcher and my was a flower gardener. Of course they talked to me about the birds and the bees. I had to learn about love, lust and loneliness on my own. My children had the internet so they actually taught me a thing or two!

Yes, they literally talked about birds and bees ... and flowers and butterflies ... I became an entomologist. No mention of sex though at all - had to find that out for myself lol

My parents never talked to me about sex at all. They did, however, freak out when I told them what I learned about it in school; and they did do EVERYTHING possible to make sure I never got to put that knowledge into practice.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18204
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.