Agnostic.com

26 12

What do you do when asked to bring dessert?

My hiking partner, Karen, and I signed up to do snacks for Book Club at the library today.

As a vegan, Karen always brings hummus and tofu dip. Few people like it. I asked Karen to also bring her dried fruits and vegetables. Karen's lacy, dried tomatoes are wonderful!

I chose to bring dessert. Last night after hiking, and early this morning I made:

1. Date Bars from Cooking Light.
  2. Lemon Bars from The Tassajara Bread Book.

Starting at age 3, my daughter, Claire, has eaten lemon slices. (shudder) Instead of birthday cake, Claire wants lemon bars.

p.s. They cleaned the platter (my late grandmother's).

An 83-year-old lady mistook Karen's garlicky hummus for a whipped topping. She put a big glob of hummus on a lemon bar.

"I didn't like the topping for the lemon squares," she said afterward.

"That was Karen's hummus," I replied. "She put lots of garlic in it." Wish I had stopped her.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

26 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Buy something.

Depens who's asking.

Go to dessert is Ghirardelli Brownies. LOL!

Fruit salad

There's always room for Jello. ?

@Donotbelieve

And I still eat at Subway, Jared be damned (although I prefer Quiznos).

@Gooniesnvrdie

I know the snozberries taste like snozberries.

I bring myself..?

Depends on the season. My major in college was bakery arts. I makes all of the sweets.

How's the foot?

@ipdg77

My deep bone bruise is healed. Thanks for asking.

Nobody has ever asked me to bring dessert, I have a whole area of existence to explore. I just need an invitation 🙂

Stop by the store and buy donuts or just stay home.

My go to dessert for an outing is turtle brownies.

@JenBeberstein

Sounds delicious!

@LiterateHiker they're one of my favorite easy to share desserts. I will sometimes make seasonally appropriate cheesecake if the group is small enough.

Years ago I used to get this fantastic fudge brownie mix at Trader Joe's. I don't think they sell it anymore. I baked some brownies with it and everyone wanted my recipe. I told them it was a family secret 😉

I have 2 Rhubarb plants and they are ready in the late spring and early fall. However, the last 2 years the deer have been eating the leaves. I found a spray based on garlic that keeps them away for almost a month. I have a good Rhubarb crumble. It freezes well for those surprise invitations.

I once had gluten free rhubarb pie, which was fantastic. If I can make it sugar free as well, I'll have everyone covered.

Honey works great but you have to use more than you would think or it will be very bitter

Rice pudding is an easy one, but not vegan

I bring a bag of sugar and some dixie cups.

Bread pudding never fails to impress.

Looks delish.
Before I realized you liked to cook, I was going to suggest buying a roll of frozen cookie dough and baking cookies for the group.

But if I'm asked to bring snacks for any group I know isn't into organic, healthy food, I just go to the store and buy white flour garbage I think they'll like..chips, brownies, cupcakes, etc.

I can see I should learn to read at your library. I like hummus, lemon bars, the garlic keeps the vampires away, seeing way to many of them lately for blood work. Not sure I would put hummus on a lemon square though, however if one ended up there I would definitely eat it.

Depending on who is asking and the time of year, my go-to is pumpkin cheesecake. Otherwise, I might just buy something.
I've never had to accommodate vegans. I'd definitely have to buy something
for that scenario.

I drop my pants.

I’m British and most people here love Pavlova....so that is what I would bring, topped with whipped cream and fresh soft fruit, whatever was in season,

I make awesome brownies, so that's my go-to. Or, if I know someone gluten free is going to be there I will make macarons which are super impressive and easier that you think.

GwenC Level 7 Sep 19, 2018

Assorted fruits and berries. Always a hit.

i always bring fruit salad, usually exotic fruit like papaya, and melons and coconut flakes and cherries. i flavor everything with mint, a dash of black pepper and honey. I don't make a lot, so I never bring any home.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:182532
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.