Agnostic.com

15 2

Fanatics

Can someone be as obsessed about atheist/agnostic beliefs as a religious fanatic? Is this just as bad?

Elatcha 4 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Anyone can abuse anything they enjoy. People just take the belief that they are right to the extreme.

You can see the proof here. You give them the power of the church and...

Richard Dawkins has been accused of this.

It certainly is possible. I would think that someone obsessing over atheism/agnosticism would be as insufferable as a newly converted fundamentalist born again evangelical coming off a broken life.

I am obsessed with wanting the freedom to express my views freely without the veil of religion anywhere nearby. I have to be obsessed in fighting the religious fire with my agnostic/atheist water, and they need plenty of water as it's a raging fire, not put out easily, embers everywhere, it can reignite anywhere at anytime. I will not stop being an ardent non believer until such time comes as WE Agnostics are a vast majority, and who knows if that will happen in my lifetime. And No it's not just as bad, it's just sad that it is what is required to smite the heathen believers.

They can of course be obsessed and some of them actually have a deep seated hatred for believers and or religious individuals

yes i think it is just as bad

When you look negatively at ,will not associate with , and have this superior attitude towards them in regards to their intellect this fits the definition of a fanatic.Unfortunately there are a few members here In that category

Yes, for both sides. The devout Xtians and for the atheists. Once an atheist comes out, they are angry and hurt. I recently just got out of that phase. Now I'm all making jokes about it. I'm no longer upset/angry at religion/god.

Maybe? It is all in the attitude! Some non-belivers out there would have to be a little 'touched'...humans come in all shapes and sizes! We could watch this "site' to see how many we can find here? Lol...

Definitely, I have read their posts,comments and reply’s on this site .

Extremes, in nearly anything, are not a good thing.

Sure.

Are you eating enough? Sleeping enough?

Are you hurting yourself or anyone else?

Do you have friends?

Do you spend all your time on one activity, to the exclusion of necessary, life-sustaining activities? Do you argue with or preach at everyone you talk to? Do you talk about only one thing exclusively?

Could be church, could be atheism, could be World of Warcraft--obsession works the same way.

Not you, Elatcha--the hypothetical "you"

Depending on how I interpret your question, the answer is yes and/or no.

If you are using a psychological lens, yes an atheist/agnostic could discriminate and/or persecute people in a manner similar to a religious person. However this would largely be on an individual scale. I would consider that to be an exceptional case. Simple fact is the average agnostic/atheist is going to shower you with academic articles not hate and/or bullets.

If you are using a historical, political and/or sociological lens, no atheists/agnostics have not discriminated, persecuted, murdered, assassinated or committed genocide on a scale anywhere near what your see in religious populations. In fact the most horrifying part of religious people is that they are as likely to attack and/or kill other religious groups - even members of other sects of their own religion - as agnostics/atheists! Agnostic/athesists may debate with one another but I think you would have a hard time finding many cases of them attacking and/or killing their own.

Thanks for your insightful perspective. I'm thinking about the subject in a new light.

Yes, I think that is possible. Such an obsessed person can be quite destructive.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.