Agnostic.com

33 17

General vent about being atheist in a very Christian community.

I feel like I constantly have to defend my atheism. I live in an area where most people go to church on Sunday, but that's the only day they practice their religion, yet they call themselves "devout." Nearly every day, situations come up where people say things to me like, "Don't you thank God for your (insert random thing here)?" No actually, I don't. Occasionally I feel pressured to simply say yes so I don't have to get into the following debate, but I also don't want to lie.

While I don't question anyone's reasonings to believe, they constantly question mine. Why? What happened? They always assume that some cataclysmic thing caused me to stop believing. Or they suggest churches to me, and invite me to their bible study group, as if that's going to make me change my mind. "Oh you just haven't found the right church family yet."

I certainly have found the right church family. None. Organized religion is the biggest crock of horse-dung I have ever seen in my life. They preach about morals and values yet don't follow them in their every day lives. Yet, when I mention I'm non-religious, I get questions like, "Without Jesus guiding you, how do you keep from killing everyone?" Seriously? Are you kidding me? Not believing doesn't make me a bad person or someone with zero moral compass. Honestly.

CraftyRivers 3 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I say that I am looking forward to go to hell. I have a plan to take over hell and make it my own. I have the redecorating plans all ready.

I go to a Unitarian Universalist church. They don't have a creed, so all, including atheists and agnostics are welcome. There is even a humanist service for those who don't do the god thing, but even their regular service is sometimes a bit woo-ey for my taste but not obnoxious. Much better than being brought up Catholic.

I told one of my friends that I was an atheist and she told me I couldn't be because I was a good person. Really, and everyone who goes to church is a good person? I don't think so! I truly understand your frustration as do most of the people on this site. I worked commission at Sears for years, and the ones who would steal your sales were the ones who said they were Christians.

I've learned by unpleasant experience to NEVER do any type of business with a person starts their pitch by talking about their faith and Christian values. Those folks will rip you off every time!

Hang in there. You can always come here when you need to vent, and talk to like-minded individuals. That's one of the best parts of this site. You will have support.

I feel your pain. I am in the hip pocket of the Bible Belt. The place where people cheer at the idea of “end times” and seek to convert the “unchurched.” The mayor opens her events with a “Christian Prayer” and they put nativities on government land. Yes, I desperately need saving - from the fundagelicals around me.

Fundagelicals! That's a perfect word.

For those people that say to you "Why? What happened" I would accept it as an invitation to ask them a few questions. Why do you believe in God? You could suggest A.com for them to get some therapy!.

No one asks me anything, I think they must sense it's a bad idea! But then I live in Sydney. There are certain suburbs highly religious concentration both Christian and Muslim, but other than that nobody cares.

Why does God get all the credit when good things happen but he does not get any of the blame when things go wrong? I actually think doing a bible study can be a positive thing under the right circumstances. If the bible study group allowed you to use critical thinking skills and not limit things to just a few bible verses it really does not support Christian doctrines. As a young man I read the King James Bible from cover to cover. I'm really glad that I did because it pointed out the inconsistencies in the bible. It's amazing how few Christians have thoroughly read their own bible and it's surprising how many atheists have read it.

If they keep pushing after a good answer, why not a bad one? I tell people that get pushy that I believe in bullshitism, then it’s like a game of mad-lib.

@SilverDollarJedi for working at a family owned Christian company, I sure do get away with a lot....

For the obnoxious people, I just tell them I'm already going to Hell, so it's ok.

Well I'm glad the voices in their heads are telling them not to kill people I guess. I live in a tiny town as well (population: 273) The 2 main churches are literally across the street from my house. (Well right next to the house across the street...). I will openly tell people I'm atheist if they bring up religion. Then just stick with the to each their own stand on it.

My reply is "If believing in a god is the only thing that keeps you from killing everyone, please don't stop believing."
This subtly puts it back on them. It says I don't need Jesus to keep from harming people without punching them in the face with it.

I have much the same experience. I finally...at 46, told my baptist family that I didn't believe. it was really scary. they haven't disowned me, but I know they don't understand. sometimes I envy then because they leave everything up to a higher power and feel whatever sense of security that gives them. then I realize that "security" is really just a way not to take responsibility for their actions. I prefer not to give control to something I know doesn't exist. my mistakes are my own, and my achievements are my own...

Some of the worst people I know are 'Christians.'

Hell according to the Christain’s the Jews, muslims and a bunch of others are going to hell. According to the muslims the Christain’s , Jews and most others are going to hell. The religious nuts just don’t seem to think anyone who is going to hell can be a moral person.

Yep! Same happens to me almost everyday. I respect their beliefs but they question mine!

Keep up the struggle. Maybe you can find some folks nearby thru this site or Meetup? At least you can get some electronic support here! 🙂

One of the things I love about living in a huge metropolitan area is that there are so many churches people just assume I must be going to a different one. And if they ask, they aren't usually surprised to hear I don't attend a church. I think it would be really stressful to be an atheist in a small american community. Glad you have THIS community!

Kudos! Hang on to nature. It helps to keep your brain wired in a good way. 🙂

I agree to all of that yes!

I was married to a woman who's whole family was devote. Needless to say, it made get togethers a chore at some points.

Imagine how I feel, on top of my non-belief of their nonsense, I'm bi-racial in an area where 90% are pale skin and label me, just, "Black"😉

Oh I hear you. I'm Native in a super racist area. We get refused service at restaurants all the time. It's ridiculous.

@CraftyRivers I welcome you to come here with open arms. What do you do to pay the bills?

@AnTwanSr I'm a teacher. Trying to teach the children to be open minded and accepting without ticking off the parents with my "liberal agenda."

@CraftyRivers Impressive and challenging. I trust, we share similar, likeness for one of my favorites "Lions for Lambs" by Robert Redford (movie)?

@CraftyRivers and perhaps "Good Will Hunting" too! I could think of a couple of teachers/instructors whom should watch them both as required training.

Have you considered trying to relocate closer to the metro?

While I absolutely love nature & the unpolluted beautiful night sky, I'd have a really hard time giving up the progressive culture & diversity near a large city.

Cost of living aside, what do you love about where you live?

Rossi Level 4 Jan 29, 2018

I did live in the metro and moved out here top help out my mom. She still needs me, so here I still am. It's actually more expensive here than it was in the cities. I do love the nature I see daily, but that's about it.

Couldn't have said it better myself... What's wrong with people? Crazy...

Unbelievable!
One technique I use for annoying religious remarks is to respond with a vague "um-hum" as though thinking of something else. Then immediately change the subject as though that's what you were thinking of. It saves a lot of arguments.
If you do this whenever the subject is brought up, you train people to stop doing it.

Damn, I thought I had it bad! The only thing I could suggest is memorize some snarky questions. Questions always work best. You can find one for anything from Google.

gearl Level 8 Jan 25, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18261
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.