Agnostic.com

56 14

Are common interests important to you?

I tend to like people who share some of my interests, but not all.
We can share some time, but that will leave me to explore life alone.
Personally, I like a man who enjoys sports, concerts, movies. Great things to do together.
I also like to visit museums alone. So I don't feel rushed through the exhibits.

Nichole765 7 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

More than common interests is common values. I'm interested in most anything if it is approached with passion and sincerity. If she doesn't value introspection, keeping fidelity to objectivity as much as possible, joy over fear, and personal responsibility, then we aren't going to get along well no matter how much she loves Ren and Stimpy.

True!

What works best for me, is interests/activities in common, that can be shared. But I also need there to be separate interests and activities, that each can savor alone. Then it's satisfying to come together afterwards and share the different experiences, along with being able to relate to the world as an individual.

After 48 years, I find I have less in common with my partner than when we first became a couple. I believe in life long learning and have embraced a broad spectrum of interests. Although some of these coincide with hers, she has lost interest in some original common ones and has not ventured much in new ones. Sometimes I am saddened by this turn of events, but I still find joy in learning new things. It is still an "until death do you part" situation for me, but I sure miss the great times we had in the beginning of our relationship.

Common, not identical, interests are critical. I want to like the person too. I am not seeking a carbon copy of myself but certainly there must be some genuine overlap. Politically and religiously however the interests/beliefs really do need to be close.

Yeah. I've ended relationships due to religious and political indifference.

@Nichole765 I could not continue them either.

Definitely some shared interests, but there absolutely has to be me time. I may be wrong, (I am about a lot of things) but personal time is essential to any kind of a successful relationship.

If there weren't common interests what would make you even want to speak with that person beyond the first time? I mean, once the physical attraction dried up there would be nothing to talk about.

GwenC Level 7 Sep 19, 2018

For reference, how long does sexual attraction take to "dry up"?

As a married couple of 27 years,my late wife would sew or make a quilt while I was nearby on the computer,I'd show her how to use my woodworking power tools,and all the needed safety requirements,when using them. She had her hobbies and interests,and I had mine. It worked out wonderful.

Some common interests are great and it's a way break the ice and create a bond but I don't want a male me. I'd like to even be able to even introduce new interests to him and vice-versa. We need to be our own though not Legion.

Yeah for sure but it doesn't have to be everything, I quite like getting to know something new and enjoying my partners enthusiasm for something 🙂

That's true. When I meet someone who has a true passion for something, And patience to teach me, I'm very intrigued.

I prefer to have a few common interests. Gives us stuff to do and talk about together. It can't be all sex...

The similar interests are, for me, the initial attraction. The differences are what bring people closer. When care enough about the other person to want to learn about the differences...you're hooked.

Btbd Level 7 Sep 20, 2018

I completely agree. It's annoyingly difficult to find a partner who is comfortable with the concept of alone-time, I've found, but it is something that I need very much to supplement and compliment the shared time.

Hordo Level 6 Sep 20, 2018

I think there needs to be some overlap in interests, just to be practical — what do you do together if you don't share anything in common? — but I also think it's important for everyone to have their own lives, other interests, different circles of friends, because those differences are what we use to add flavor to the stew of the relationship, a little infusion from outside to keep things spiced up. Otherwise, it's just two people with the same thoughts, the same experiences, the same interests, the same perspective, and that's bound to get old and get boring.

Yes! I'm very passionate about what I care about. Music, politics, hobbies...I seek partners. I've dated (and married) non like minded and felt very alone.

OwlRN Level 4 Sep 19, 2018

Recently this boy i fell hard for told me we are too much alike to ever be together (after he told me he lived me and asked me to move in with him - like same day after??) . too alike to ever be together. The thing is, i feel like we had nothing in common. Still, like i said, i fell hard. Truth be told, i still like him too much. So, he had this perception that was the complete opposite of mine. I think we liked spending time together and enjoyed finding out about each others likes/dislikes.... My favorite people are those with whom i genuinely share interests. But coupling up, in my opinion, doesnt necesarily fit into that constraint. I suppose its how much tolerance folks have for exploration??

You gotta talk about something. As the relationship develops, with luck, you get more and more common interests. Not to say you both ought to have the same ones, but it helps to have a couple that you do share, and I believe it's a good thing to have a couple that you don't share.

Yes, very. Shared interests and passions are important. Probably around 60% to 70% would be ideal.

Everyone needs their own life. I wouldn’t care to be attached at the hip.

Shared recreational activities are a bonding experience for couples. That's why I want a man who also loves hiking.

Common interests certainly helps. I find it really cool when a woman likes the same music I do. I love to go to concerts, so that would give us both something to do that we both enjoy. Watching sports and movies is also something I enjoy doing.

Liking the same music would sure make road trips nicer. It's one of the rare areas where my wife & I differ.

Absolutely. You need more than physical attraction to keep a relationship going.

Sure. Why else would I want to date men? I want a ballroom dance and hiking partner and someone who shares my love of nature and reading. Otherwise, why bother?

Unlike most cis, hetero men, most normal cis, hetero women aren't desperate for sex with whoever they can get..just want a loyal, loving companion who will have their backs and make them a priority. Someone who is interested in them as a PERSON, not a sexual conquest.

@Wangobango3 People who are comfortable with their assigned birth gender, and feel it matches how they see themselves.

There has to be enough "common" interests to be able to at least communicate. If we are only going to enjoy a sexual encounter while together, I can run with that.

Yes, I want someone who can relate to my passions. It is not necessary that all interests are similar, as we are each individuals. We gain friendships through similarities, and a partner should always be a friend first.

Some are good, to many is not ideal. Being able to share something that is new to a potential mate is part of the fun. Some things are good to do with others or alone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:182679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.