Agnostic.com

56 14

Are common interests important to you?

I tend to like people who share some of my interests, but not all.
We can share some time, but that will leave me to explore life alone.
Personally, I like a man who enjoys sports, concerts, movies. Great things to do together.
I also like to visit museums alone. So I don't feel rushed through the exhibits.

Nichole765 7 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's important to have enough in common to have great conversations. It's also important to have different hobbies to learn something new, or to have that important solo time.

Angus Level 5 Sep 21, 2018

You seem interesting, my type, and cute. How's it going?

It's Friday! Though I guess it loses its appeal when you gotta work the weekend.

Somewhat yes. As long as you have a few things in common that's a great place to start. It's also great to be introduced to new things too =)

I love people of Color, Race, International Nomenclature who love themselves like I love myself. When I travel abroad I love to meet the unknown character who blew me off the road. Hate to dampen your post but I always meet more than one every time. Seek Nature and walk in the Woods alone and let Nature call to you and make the difference you need so much.
Pick a Destination and enjoy the Journey.

Of course!

I believe everyone should have an active hobby as well as a passive one. I also think it is nice to share these with a significant other. But they should also have interests of their own!

I really don't have any basis for comparison I was only in one relationship for my entire life for 27 years and as time went by that's kind of what caused us to drift apart is.we got together when we were very young and very desperate and all we had was each other but the older we got the more I found out that we really didn't share the same interests or basic beliefs about what was really important in life

I think common interest has it's place, but a difference of interests may expand your horizons. When someone is completely different, I can't say I've tried to make that work.

Common interest, in my opinion, is essential because they do provide something that can be shared and allow a quicker connection. However, separate interests are needed as well so that there is some sense of individuality.

In a successful relationship, there must be substantial shared interests and values. But, each must also have the freedom and space to pursue interests of their own.

Common interests are important to me, but so are interests that I don't have because maybe they will open me up to new experiences and maybe I will like them.

There has to be some separation of interest in a relationship, or I find myself bored quite quickly. I want to be challenged, and not be constantly agreed with.

Well, it helps but it's not all. I have good friends that have little in commm with me.

Common interests are important. However, it's hard to find people who like ferret racing, collecting snake skins, stalking celebrities and grave digging.

I feel that if you're looking for any kind of long term relationship, yes. I always use to make the mistake of letting sexual chemistry do the talking, and then when the novelty wears off and you finally come up for air, you realize you have absolutely nothing to talk about. If you can find someone who has at least a few of the same interests, you have a place to build from.

IMO having interests in common only makes the association stronger.but also showing support for interests other than yours is also important.

I like us to be different enough to allow for the exploration of new things

Common interests are important to me but I don't give a rat's ass about sports. If you do that's OK. Sharing of ideas is important.

They are important. More than anything I would like someone to bat ideas around with.

Yes: it certainly helps in the talking / sharing time. Humans like validation on opinions.

No: it’s good to learn. If we don’t learn from other points of view or experiences, then we’ll be the same and that’s boring.

Maybe: if you can find a friend or mate that lets you have alone time, that’s gold too. I grew up an only child and love doing things alone.

An interesting observation that I really haven't payed much creed to as I, living in a tRumplican state, really have no expectations of meeting a rational woman in this part of the country. I enjoy music, movies, art, science, history, nature, technology, and a few other things but have a profound dislike of sports as I consider those activities a poor allocation of resources for a populous that should be more concerned with our environment then watching people compete for physical dominance on the game field.

Common interests are pretty important because it gives you common ground to have somethung to talk about.
But equally important is having interests that you don't share. That gives you the prospect of potentially finding new interests that your partner may be into that you may like.

I think keeping your autonomy in a relationship is the real key to keeping it healthy. Overly accommodating creates quite contempt, and animosity. I love sharing time with my girl, but I love my space and interest. I believe being 100% in yourself and wanting someone who is 100% in themselves, you have to have room for them to be able to be themselves. Trust and love.

I prefer common interests in a mate, but I like my friends to be varied and different, it adds spice to life!

Yes, but uncommom interests more so!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:182679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.