Agnostic.com

9 5

Isn’t it amazing and interesting that all the laungages evolved the way they did?

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes it is there are lot of similar words in different languages, why do you think it is?

dc65 Level 7 Jan 25, 2018

Alot of the languages borrowed words from each other.

[fluentu.com]

This site for example reveal some shocking words borrowed from the French language that I had no idea were of French origin.

@EmeraldJewel The more you learn the less you seem to know. I wonder why that is? I get that feeling a lot. I will check that website out sound interesting. You might find this website useful, I use it quite often
[en.oxforddictionaries.com]

yes, makes you wonder, and a damned good question, for which I have no answer, need a professor to answer this?

Lol as long as you don’t give me The Tower Of Babel answer is the reason.

This is something there is no data on. My son has a speech delay so I spent lots of time researching this subject,. Not talking about phonics . The way your brain maps language is virtually unexplored. They can tell you how you learn a language, by observing verbal cues. They can not tell you how the blank hard drive called your brain how it maps out the language. DNA has alleles. The best you can get is phonics that is how sounds are formed.

guess what language you need to become an airline pilot, why?

I like reading old (very old) literature, it is hard to follow at times, but it allows you to see how language has evolved. A good example is reading Chaucer in middle english, to me it has elements of French and Scottish as well as anglo-norman and anglo-saxon,. I always found anglo-saxon easier to read with a german bent rather than english.

I’ll definitely have to check that stuff out. I love to learn.

especially when you look at the oriental languages. SO COMPLEX

No, it's not at all amazing. First question to ask: What is language? Answer: Language is a series of noises arranged in such a way that all the local participants agree upon the meaning.

Second question: When verbal communication began, what were the conditions? The next answer: We were roaming the African savanna in small groups intent upon finding food to ensure our survival. These groups consisted of no more than 25 individuals.

Third question: Is it reasonable to assume that the languages of two separate groups out there on the savanna would develop similarly? Answer number 3: No. Although the equipment for making these sounds might have been similar, and the timing might have been simultaneous, the arrangement and types of sounds would necessarily be quite different.

Fourth question: Considering the previous 3 conditions and later isolation of civilizations by geographic boundaries, is it possible to conclude that different languages would develop over deep time? The answer: Yes, and the only reason there is any similarity among language groups is the result of migrating groups between one locale and another where a blending of languages would take place.

Want to hazard a guess at how many different languages there are on this planet between groups of human beings? The answer is, from the Ethnologue catalogue of world languages, which is one of the best linguistic resources, there are 6909 living languages. About 6% of them have more than a million speakers each, and collectively account for 94% of the world population. Now, those are just the living languages -- languages in use today. Think about all the other languages that have died along the way.

No, it's not amazing at all.

Yep.... but try to use your language in a translator. Words are moved around and the sentence is different.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18293
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.