Agnostic.com

21 3

Does this make sense?

A friend told me "belief overpowers fact." So I asked her: "if I believe there are mice living in my shoes and stealing my socks, then it's true?" She responded with "yes, if you have faith then it's true!"
O.o
To which I responded "but I have all of my socks and there is no evidence of mice living in my shoes."

She said "it doesn't matter as long as you have faith."

Can anyone please tell me the mental gymnastics she used to come to this conclusion? Do any of you feel the same way?

• 1 vote
  • 35 votes
VaultGirl 4 Sep 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What she is practicing is not faith so much as it is willful ignorance. Faith is belief in the absence of facts. When you believe in spite of the facts that crosses out of the realms of faith and into the realms of willful ignorance.... somtiems simply called "Denial".

"Faith is Pretending to Know Things You Don't Know"

State sponsored mental illness.

Those who are faithful are taught or indoctrinated. Their sheep brain struggles with the concept of fact-based thought processes. This was the intent when the religions were formed. The sheep are easily controlled, whereas the rams have their own set of rules and the powers that be are powerless over them.

Gohan Level 7 Sep 21, 2018

It never ceases to amaze me, the rationalizations and hoops Christians go through to avoid the most elementary logic and common sense.

In all good faith I can't even find my socks..nevermind Jesus...

I don't know where lost socks disappear to.

perception is reality. on the other hand, theoretically we have an agreed-upon basic reality and when we leave that, all bets are off.

g

p.s. not ALL drugs are bad!

Her logic suggests she is on something.

Hey, maybe if we all have sufficient faith that tRump isn't president we can make it so???

The wonder of self delusion, saves the complication required by evidence and logic. Yes, drug can be fun.

I believe your friend is an idiot ?

Faith (belief without evidence) is the foundation of religion. To not recognize faith as superior to reality would open a door that would allow an attack on the faith based foundations of their religion.

A major component of indoctrination is asserting faith based belief be internalized, if you attack the veracity of (faith) belief, you attack the person.

This is pretty standard with theists, however, they usually deploy the magic of special pleading by saying that this is only valid if the object of your faith is "valid" or "proper" in some usually ill-specified way. That way they can tell themselves that believing in their magic sky wizard is totally different than believing in invisible shoe mice.

Your friend appears to be an unusually disordered thinker, either that, or she's just trying to show that her argument is airtight by pretending to be unperturbed by your example.

At least now if she tries to proselytize you, you can tell her you already have an equally valid religion, based as it is, on faith, now that you've decided to worship the invisible shoe mice. Eventually she'll drop it, I suspect.

I'd one-up her if she says you don't have a holy book to tell you your faith is valid ... tell her even your holy book is invisible. That she clearly lacks sufficient faith to read an invisible holy book.

The brainwashed are condition to believe anything that the clergy program them to believe.

This is mind over matter to infinity. Faith is the answer to thought.

She needs to lay off the miracle pills..

Couldn't check either - faith may not constitute fact, but I'm a proponent of better living through chemistry.

Drugs or not there is no logic to her statement at all. Nothing will ever change this fact. I do believe that such things grow out of a belief that you can do anything or be anything that you want to, but even so it is faulty logic. Christians use it all the time.

It sounds a very silly proposition to me , but I wouldn't stand in the way of anyone who wanted to believe the moon was made of blue cheese or any other strangeness. I would welcome invisible mice into my socks if they wanted to bear the smell if I actually had a fondness for the friend - She sounds like she could be a bit of a laugh but then I have never met her

It's called a mental illness and/or indoctrination to the point their minds aren't functioning like it should. Some are worse than others, so call it a spectrum like autism has. We need a a way to deal with it because it goes against the public well being.

Drugs are not THAT bad (and can be good sometimes).
But that is the religious thinking where opinions are above facts.
Just tell her to look around what she sees that is not made industrially.
even your food and by consequence body (vaccines, chemurgy, food, cosmetic), are shaped by industry.
And industry is based on facts, and science, the same facts and science that turned our species from farmers that died of hunger if it rained in the wrong season to space travelers.
You can act and maybe convince people and change the administration of a place based on faith, but the results will be based on facts and natural laws...

Some drugs are good ?

@VaultGirl in very special occasions, with nice and trustworthy people around, thee can be the most connecting experience. But the fewer the better.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:183679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.