Agnostic.com

24 4

What book should replace the bible...

In a recent post, @witchymom mentioned that some hotels still allow bibles to be placed in a drawer in each room. Personally, I think we should take them out and replace them with something that suits our tastes. So - what book do you think we should use to replace bibles in hotels and motels?

MrLizard 8 Jan 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

24 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Something very few people have seen or read, The United States Constitution.

and the declaration of independence

Only one choice as far as I am concerned.
Hitch Hikers guide to the Galaxy.

A dictionary. A large, dictionary.

Why? Words not only have power in meaning, but the more words one knows, the more intelligent they are and their ability to reason grows significantly ... all because of knowing ... words.

Check out RadioLab pocast "words" Fascinating stuff. I stayed in my car an extra 20 minutes just to hear the end of the radio show.

[radiolab.org]

We could start a movement! Replace the gidians bible with works on evolution, The God Delusion, God is not Great, The God Virus, and personally I would like a few comics featuring something like "The radically stupid adventures of Ken Ham." The media would lose their MINDS!

A book on science literacy and methodology.

The farmers almanac. At least there is truth in that.

The phone book, if they still make them.

The local alternative newspaper.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 26, 2018

Fishing on Sunday... no guilt!

Stephen Hawking, the Beginning of Time

I had a good plow through A. C. Grayling's: The Good Book A Humanist Bible

Like Water For Chocolate

I don't think we should replace it. We just need to put it into perspective.

In other words, put it into perspective.

Cosmos, by Carl Sagan.

The Age of Reason by Thomas Paine

There is a website that is about leaving books for other people to find and read. The idea is that if you find one of the books you go on line and register it, read it and, hopefully, leave it for someone else to find
[google.co.uk]
My choice would be the Buddhist book known as the Dammhapada. It's one of the smaller texts from Theravada Buddhism and full of good stuff that doesn't require belief in Buddhism

Gullivers Travels by Jonathon Swift and here is your free copy in numerous user friendly formats-

[gutenberg.org]

That is a great book. I read it when I was a kid and enjoyed it for all the big people, little people, action and adventure.... read it again as an adult when I was on holiday in Malta and was blown away by how deep a commentary and critique of civilisation it was

It’s 2018. 80 percent of people can’t read books anymore or just don’t have the patience. Don’t need anything more than actually working WiFi. And maybe a computer that’s attached to the table. Because. Again it’s 2018.

I sort of know what you mean. Maybe it's my age but i use screens all the time, computers, tablets, navigation, my fone.... but if I want to read anything more than a few paragraphs I like to have it printed out. I think it might be that screens are too bright for anything other than short periods

@JimmyM I completely respect that. And honestly I’m a reader. Books over screen any day. But for what they are thrying to say here and do in general. A bible or some book in a hotel is null and void. No one even the crazy ones looks at it. Put something that the general public actually wants( main reason I say this is I worked hotel for a couple years. All we did was replace ripped up bibles used for joints. Besides that it never moved.

Why are you promoting vandalism? Here you go the war on religion in all manifestation. The dark crusade.

@MrLizard Never knew the bibles were supposed to be taken. I am sorry, I had lived a life not interested on what religions are doing.

@MrLizard an additional book is a better idea

@btroje Gotcha all.

For most people, it would have to be comic books. Do people still read? I do, but I seem to be in the minority.

@MrLizard I read five books at a time, and keep cycling through my vast Kindle library here in Thailand, plus I keep adding books because my relatives wisely give me amazon gift coupons for birthday and Christmas gifts. I can speed read, but try to slow down on books that cost money.

I have never seen a bible in hotel rooms in Canada, I always look to see whats in the drawers, its always just info on the local shopping, restaurants, phone numbers for local tourist things. no bible. I would totally steal it if I found one. put it on my coffee table at home just to prank my friends.

I don't think we should replace it. We just need to put it into perspective.

We do not need ANY book of dogma and mythology!

The book of Laughter nad Forgiving. -Milan Kundera

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.