Agnostic.com

2 0

Me and a friend were chatting last night and got onto the discussion of aliens. I jokingly said about aliens having less fingers nice the pinky is useless, so they could evolve beyond it, or other organs that are useless. She said they might look nothing like us. I'd like to find out what people hope we might find? Would anybody be disappointed if we got to a planet with life and they were still essentially cavemen?

Bonnie95 3 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The pinky is extremely useful - any alien race without it would be plagued by nasal mucus and earwax.

(There's a very good sci-fi short story, the author of which I can't remember, in which interstellar space travel is very simple and easy but humans have somehow overlooked how to do it. So, when an alien race is looking around for a planet to invade, they decide that the inhabitants of Earth must be very primitive - but when they get here, sometime in the late 20th Century, their weapons are equivalent to 15th Century Earth weapons and they're defeated almost immediately.)

Jnei Level 8 Jan 26, 2018

Actually, the pinky finger is really important, it provides about fifty percent of your hand's gripping power. It's second only to the thumb in importance. 🙂 Pretty sure that if we ever find aliens they will follow in the same vein as pretty much every other cosmic discovery ... they will be like no one expected. "The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." JBS Haldane

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18420
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.