Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Gray Areas on Gray Matter: The Ethics of Brain Death - TheHumanist.com

FTA: The third approach says that some parts of the brain are essential in making us human, but other parts are not as important. Our self-awareness, personalities, and our ability to think seem more important than lower level brain activity, such as a simple reflex. For example, if our cognition ceased to exist but we still had minimal brain activity, we would fail to recognize our own state of being. The essential self is gone, and all that’s left alive is a “human animal.” One problem with this view is the question of self-awareness. Is it consciousness, or are we conscious of our own consciousness? And how would we explain people with severe dementia who might not be self-aware?

zblaze 7 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's a hard question. I think for all practical purposes, when someone is on their death bed, body shut down and just about flatlining on brain activity, it's time to pull the plug. No one would want to live in such a state, kept alive indefinitely by machines when there is no hope to return to a normal life.

Orbit Level 7 Dec 11, 2018

I have an issue with your tern 'human animal' I understand what you are trying to convey but I believe it is misconception and misinform us about who animals are. Animals are not pure instinctual beings like we believed 50 years ago. there is overwhelming evidence that they are sentient and far more complex then originally believed.

Also I work with people who have Dementia as I am in medicine They are self aware. Self awareness is not their problem. They have problem perceiving their surroundings, or processing information about their environment.

Let's see if I still remember some of this stuff. Reflexes come from the spinal column and are a part of the somatic nervous system. Like the autonomic nervous system, it can still operate although brain function in the cerebrum has ceased. A person can be vegetative or brain dead with the autonomic and somatic still functioning. Thought, being self aware, being sentient, whatever you want to call it, comes from cerebrum. Is that a human animal? No, an animal would still have basic instincts. Vegetation and brain death doesn't have basic instincts.

Severe dementia, actually late stage dementia and alzheimer's show brain degradation. Plaque build up is so severe that at late stage cognitive function ceases and the brain dies off with only the somatic and autonomic functioning.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:184765
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.