Agnostic.com

81 11

What kind of **snob** are you?

In a world that has a few hundred different reality shows about fashion (Project Runway), cooking (Chopped, Hell’s Kitchen), art, music, etc.. I’ve noticed that the world has become quite “bougie” lately. Everyone seems to be a connoisseur of something.

I hear people say that people who like Nickleback are stupid and don’t know music, or Avatar was a cinematic turd. I personally dated a self-proclaimed “chef”, and he became visibly angry when I decided to have popcorn as a snack when I drank red wine, “because it should always be paired with old cheeses, not popcorn.. are you some sort of fucking OGRE?”

So, in an attempt to get to know you better, what sort of snob are you? Is there any area in your life that you know you have exquisite taste, and friends or family who do not share your opinions on these things can annoy you?

• 22 votes
  • 24 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 6 votes
  • 10 votes
  • 16 votes
  • 21 votes
  • 49 votes
IndySent 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

81 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I like good fresh ground coffee but ill happily drink good instant coffee. I don't put others down for what they like though so I don't think I am. I like what I like and not what I don't like and that doesn't always mean the best either.

I wouldn't go so far as to say I was a snob in any particular area.

I love food and although I detest fast food (I would rather eat my own vomit than eat a big mac!), I couldn't care less if people want to feast on popcorn or drink red wine with fish or any other weird combination. I get pissed off at French chefs refuse to cook steak well done for my father in law - he's paying and he's eating it. If you can't cook something the way somebody likes it, then you are a crap chef. Rant over.

I also prefer craft beers, but can still appreciate a cheap lager on a hot day in the garden.

My only real bit of snobbery is that I am really pedantic about grammar and spelling. However, I do refrain from commenting about others mistakes on here and other fora, as I do understand that some do have specific issues, some have missed big chunks of education and as I don't know their personal circumstances it would be inappropriate to constantly correct. Unless of course it's my mate Jon who is an English teacher or a meme or shop sign done by someone who should know better - then it's fair game!!!

What kills me on this site is my spell checker changing words that I have misspelled, I don't see to good so sometimes get the wrong word. Yes I'm waiting on my new mail order glasses...

@RobCampbell I get frustrated with autocomplete on my phone!!! It rarely completes the word I want and often changes them to make completely random sentences. Then I send them without checking......

@Uncorrugated - you hit my biggest pet peeve - smart phones, I always thought just plain ol rotary dial phones were kinda intrusive in that it rings and demands an answer NOW,. But AutoComplete 'feature' , I don't think any app on any device has caused me more frustration. Finally figured out how to turn it off.

@RobCampbell spell checkers and voice recognition devices are the spawn of satan

I'm more specifically an international film snob... Truffàut, Buñuel, Bergman, Renóir, Fellini, Antonioni, etc.....

@NerdyOkieDude I loved Pinapple Express! "It's almost a shame to smoke it. It's like killing a unicorn with, like, a bomb."

@IndySent Stoner buddy movies was a limitation of the poll. I prefer stoner buddy movies with subtitles is all . . .

I'm not a snob about anything (that I know about) I doit really have opinions about stuff like you mention I don't put down songs I odnt like I just don't listen to them I don't really care what I eat - I like peanut butter and marmite sarnies - I don't listen to 'experts" I have a first in in fine and applied arts but appreciate anyhting any one wants to have a go at - even if I laugh - I don't put it down as they are trying - I odnt drink alcohol drink instant coffee and practically eat the same food every day - that is healthy enough. I suppose I am saying that I don't really care what is suppposed to be good - its my choice no one elses.

I'm the modest snob, my perfect humility makes me humbly perfect.
It's a curse, a burden, but I bear it oh-so-well.

All of the above, and some. Whatever it is, I have better tastes than thou.
And if you actually do have superior tastes; if you're a Parisian foodie, for instance, or a gay fashion designer, then I'd probably be your fan.

I'm a product snob, I like skin care products from my health food shop and am happy to pay 3 x as much for something without petroleum in it. My cleaning products all have eco friendly/ bio or vegan on, (preferably all free). I prefer fair trade coffee and other products and try to buy clothes from places with better living conditions and a minimum of torture, (but sometimes fail at that, only checking the label when I get home!).

Music Snob. I've actually seen Nickelback twice, and like them. I'm more of a crossing genre snob. This country/pop/rap/r&b bull shit can GTFOH.

Did First Aid at a concert for Nickelback once, didn't get to see them though because of all the hyperventilating young ladies. Don't know about the music, but they must be doing something right! Lols.

@girlwithsmiles That's pretty cool! I don't understand the hyperventilating, but the music isn't terrible. There's worse out there, that's for sure!

@metalicious1986 they got so excited about the band they were nearly passing out!

Religious snob

God snob

Snob for snobbery. Please explain your distaste for something almost entirely irrelevant, based on your subjective feels. *yawn
I do not think that insistence on logic and the recognition of empirical evidence is any form of snobbery. I suppose I would call it "Mental Health".

Where is the choice for Broadway Plays snob? I truly beiieve in snobbery! Don't you? Lol!

Oh, I'm also a tube amp snob ????

I assume I'm a snob somewhere, but I'm not sure where. Music = I don't like Country. Coffee = I like what tastes best to me, so lately I've upgraded from 7-Eleven to Wawa. LOL. Film = I stay away from military or "dark" ones that can give one nightmares, and I prefer funny, thoughtful, indie, nice ones like love stories, animated shorts, and documentaries. Alcohol = I still haven't found a beer I like, but Smirnoff Ice tastes good (please don't tell my friends). 😉

I guess the one term that bugs me most when I hear it, is "I could care less". Fewer than half the people say it correctly: "I couldn't care less".

For you Grammar snobs, please watch this:

(Why Do People Say “AX” Instead of “ASK”?)

Dog snob. I try not to be but there's no denying it anymore.

ok so what kind of dogs?

@btroje It's really more about how someone acquires a dog. Did they put any thought into it?
I could badly write a dissertation on the topic that others have done better by. Yes though I'm very ruined on my breed I admire others. It's a grease fire topic LOL

@Qualia ok i get it. have done my share of rescue

@btroje unfortunately these days rescues have to be "vetted" due to the advent of "retail rescue" giving a black eye to legitimate rescue, some of which are no better than Cragslist dog flippers for profit.

@Qualia humans all around

I'm none of the above. However, your post and your choices made me laugh! 🙂

Coffee. I grew up drinking strong coffee and what people in this country consider good coffee, I refer to as "coffee flavored water."

Mental and behavioral health.

If you're emotionally immature, get the hell away from me. Not joking.

I have to admit my snobbery. When I drink wine I want it to be a left bank French Bordeaux. 51% cabernet, 48% merlot and 1% petit verdot. Preferably a 2009. The salt on my kitchen island is Himalayan pink sea salt - no iodized table salt in my house, thank you! And my coffee is always whole bean, freshly ground each time. Of course I also love a fried bologna sandwich and cheap beer, so there ya go.

I agree with you about the salt! The usual table salt is poison. I have kept a small shaker of pink salt in my desk at work for years now.

I like to think I'm not. As an anti-authoritarian, snobbery assumes a sort of authority or competence that I know I don't have. Doesn't preclude the possibility of an opinion just that I don't back it up.

I've got some popcorn, you bring the red wine and let's get to know our snobs together?

Most of what you have been describing are personal preferences. No right or wrong. Simply enjoy if it is to your taste.

@IndySent I guess I am not a snob. Just for your amusement [bbc.co.uk]

First a snob for me means pretentious, like I only drink $400 dollar a bottle single-malt whiskey. I think where we are is we know what we like from years of testing.
A summary - Live in Oregon and we have lots of great micro-brews. What is the deal with Bud Light, it isn't really beer. Love to get the local brew that is on tap and have a pint or two. Have been to some distilleries in Ireland and Scotland, and have some preferences there.

My wife and I have made changes to our eating plan, getting rid of overprocessed foods, plus the deadly whites (sugar, white potatoes, white rice, and white bread). Have garden plots, and plenty of fresh organic veggies. We have the time to do lots of cutting and slicing. Do like our local razor clams in season, and our local dungeness crab. Both of which we go get ourselves.

Music - love lots of types, tonight we are going to see a brazilian band (love the rhythms). Try to take in local live music as much as we can, and we both play in a band. Like to support our local musicians, and Portland have a great music community.

Coffee - our house special is Sumatran Dark, fresh ground and brewed. We get our coffee from the bulk section of our local grocery store.

Sumatra beans are some of my favorite!!

I am an observing of nature and geography snobe.

I like what I like because I like it. I don't go for things just because they are the most expensive, or the highest rated. Some of what I enjoy are quite expensive, and are highly rated, but those are not the reasons I enjoy them. Let's take sake for example. My favorite is Kubota Hekijyu. At around $60 for a small bottle it is not cheap. It has a flavor profile that I enjoy immensely. It's older brother Kubota Manju is rated much higher and is nearly double the price. For my tastes it's not as good. Does that mean I turn up my nose at someone drinking Sho Chiku Bai? Absolutely not. There's a saying many cigar smokers have, and I tend to apply it to anything. "Smoke what you like, and like what you smoke." It's used to mean enjoy yourself. Don't let others shame you into smoking cigars you don't like just because others don't approve of your choice.

d_day Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

I am an eco snob. people who still haven't got how selfish & inefficient the consumption of beef; the one-way use of plastic bags; the chasing of the best surf, driving up & down the coast; the doof-partying in pristine rainforest is ... are trying my equanimity. I hate that.

I thought for a moment i might be a beer snob... then i remembered that my domestic beer of choice is Icehouse which, apparently, most beer drinkers won't touch with their Ex's mouth. Sure, you'll drink Bud-water, which is effectively piss with all the flavor taken out of it, or Milwaukee's Beast, but Icehouse is bad beer. And you hipsters out there and your ironic Pabst Blue Ribbon and nylon mesh and foam trucker hat, don't get me started on you, you feckless gits! Do you actually know what you really like, or did you all follow Irony down the rabbit hole so far that you're so lost that you have no actual clue what you really enjoy and what is a fashion accessory? Sorry, I spun out there for a second. As for people hating on Nickelback... i like them. I like that drop-D tuning and the crunchy sound that comes with it. This band a thousand clones, so, OF COURSE theyre 'awful'! They're so bad that everyone wanted sound like them so they could point at them and say, 'You see? This is how it should be! You suck!' You lot are just as hollow as the people who hate clowns because everybody hates clowns.... it's like you think by being like the crowd, it'll somehow make you interesting. The only clowns I truly dislike are the ones who don't talk... they're like mimes, and i don't like mimes because they don't talk

(sorrt, i clicked poorly... rant not over) performers who don't talk but clearly want your feedback make it hard to figure out just what the fuck it is they want. That's a lot of work and it gives me anxiety because I don't know if I'm giving the performer what they want... why am i working so hard just to help someone mildly entertain me?! Go piss up an invisible rope and bother someone else with your silent antics.

I could go on, but I think I have an answer... I'm a Snob-snob. Like what you like. Dislike what you dislike. Whatever, but for fuck's sake, be GENUINE about it. If you want red wine with your popcorn, go for it. If you like paintings on velvet and don't get modern art? So be it. Odds are the pretentious hack that's talking down to you because you think Pollock's work looks like somebody taped 10,000 paint brushes to a science-lab monkey and then electrocuted it...we-ell they're probably vomiting up the lines they were taught to say to make themselves sound in the know, but honestly don't get it either, so flick them real hard in the Adam's apple and walk away while they're trying to get their voice back.

Like what you like, and allow others the same courtesy. That little girl you see at the mall wearing sparkly heart antennas, a tye-dye t-shirt under a cowboy vest, a tutu over her favorite gras-stained jeans, and purple rubber boots, dancing clumsily and singing badly? Yeah, maybe she's not a fashionista, or the next Voice, or a prima ballerina, but what she is, is happy, so who are we to poo-poo someone else's happiness because they don't fit the accepted, arbitrarilly decided law of what is Good?

Yeah. Im a Snob-snob lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.