Agnostic.com

3 2

QUESTION MO Deacon/Lawmaker’s Bill Would Ban “Marriage” Unless It Takes Place In Church – Friendly Atheist

I know it's hardly newsworthy when an evangelical is a total tool . . . But this had to be shared.

NerdyOkieDude 7 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is a very clear and obvious violation of the doctrine of separation of church and state.

I'd be fine with that (and not just because I'm opposed to marriage). I'd like to see a secular civil union apply to everyone equally regardless of genders, and then religious weddings could officially be "marriages" (and then just take the marriage certificate to the courthouse to have it registered as a civil union as well, with a retroactive date). This would take the thunder out of a lot of the objections to same-sex marriage (e.g., the argument that it would force ordained ministers to perform same-sex marriages, thus violating their consciences).

@NerdyOkieDude I get what you're saying, but this was an idea I had years ago. My idea was to take away their arguments for objecting to same-sex unions, basically making all legal marriage secular but allowing the churches to have their ceremonies. I actually think it's funny that there's a deacon proposing what I considered to be a middle finger to religious bigots a decade ago.

@resserts I've said the same thing many times. For me it's not caving, but separating the legal arrangement the state has from the religious arrangements of any church or even the personal arrangements of any LGBTQ, straight, or even polyamorous relationship.

You take opposite position as well and say that marriages aren’t legally binding unless they are performed by a JP. Wedding ceremonies and the legal part of marriage don’t have to be joined at the hip.

Distressed privilege is ugly no matter how it dresses itself.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18515
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.