Agnostic.com

7 2

A type of spirituality

There seems to be a lot comments/questions about the definition or existence of spirituality. So, as an artist/painter, if I find a pair of old shoes at Goodwill or Habitat and try to imagine where all the steps have carried the owner, and maybe do some sketches or paintings from that experience, am I doing something spiritual?

AgnoJer 5 Jan 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tend to notice that when people talk about spirituality, they are usually discussing something that triggers awe or another emotion. I feel awe when I contemplate the cosmos, especially when I am alone outside in a dark place where I can actually see the stars. Is that spiritual? I don't think so primarily because "spiritual" doesn't compute.

Yes. That is spiritual. It's not about magic. It's just about your feelings. Your mood. Your attitude. That's the one secular definition listed for "spirit" in the dictionary.

I'd say yes if seeing the items and imagining their history causes you to feel a deeper connection to the world around you.

When all else fails look up the definition of the word. Spirituality: the quality of being concerned with the human spirit or soul as opposed to material or physical things."the shift in priorities allows us to embrace our spirituality in a more profound way" And from Wikipedia: Traditionally, spirituality refers to a religious process of re-formation which "aims to recover the original shape of man," oriented at "the image of God" as exemplified by the founders and sacred texts of the religions of the world. In modern times the emphasis is on subjective experience of a sacred dimension[1] and the "deepest values and meanings by which people live,"[2][3] often in a context separate from organized religious institutions.

Given those definitions I don't think what you're doing is necessarily spiritual. It sounds very satisfying but not necessarily spiritual. Very artistic. Whatever you do, don't stop doing it if it makes you happy.

I do not use the word spiritual. Caring, empathic, thoughtful, creative, yes.

Artistic, creative, but I would say not spiritual.

I don't know that it's worth labeling it like that. I don't typically use the word "spiritual" because it's such a nebulous term and is wrapped up so much in metaphysics. But you're doing your art. You're imagining a life. Chances are good that the life you imagine isn't reflective of the life that was lived, but that's immaterial because the artwork is really an extension of you, regardless of your inspiration. I think I'd just say you're doing something artistic and leave it at that. 🙂

Yes.

skado Level 9 Jan 26, 2018

ha! My definition is really pretty specific. It is just… having to do with spirit. I take my definition of spirit straight from the dictionary. It’s number 8 in my dictionary:

1. an attitude or principle that inspires, animates, or pervades thought, feeling, or action: the spirit of reform.

Historically, art has been associated with spirituality more than any other single thing ever. If a painting lifts your spirits, or triggers an insight, or helps establish a mood, it is having an effect on your spirit. There is almost nothing more central to the language of spirituality than art. Religion itself is a social (usually) art form. Art and religion are virtually synonymous. @atheist

@atheist I just knew you were a spiritual person! 🙂

@atheist Depends on the girl. 🙂

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18552
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.