Agnostic.com

32 6

Why are we here ?

Are we here to glorify some god ? I think we exist just to continue the human species, we have the same mandate from Nature as the viruses , ants , plants and all other animals, we are no different.

Sofocleto 4 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nobody had anything better to be doing.

Jnei Level 8 Sep 24, 2018

I don’t know about you but “I’m here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and I’m all out of bubblegum.” ?????

Who remembers the movie and actor that said that line?

I gave up asking the "why" question a long time ago. This quote about sums up my feelings:

"Perhaps I'm old and tired, but I think that the chances of finding out what's actually going on are so absurdly remote that the only thing to do is to say, "Hang the sense of it," and keep yourself busy. I'd much rather be happy than right any day." -Slartibartfast, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I would take it a step further and say we are here to improve human lives. This is more profound to me than anything taught in any religion.

We are here because DNA runs things. Nothing more.

Carin Level 8 Sep 24, 2018

This is the beauty of philosophy and the human condition. There is no objective answer. Why are we here? However you answer that question, is the reality you will live. You have to find your own answer.

????????????? Exactly so !!! Bravo !!!!!!

We are here to bring the next mass extinction so the earth could have a fresh new start like it did from the previous five .

why, the cause: abiogenesis and evolution. for me personally, because my parents had sex.

why, the purpose: none.

tl/dr version: chemistry works.

Because primordial ooze had a random mutation which made it survive. The crazier part: I doubt it was just life and things got going. I'm sure "life" started many times and hit dead ends. A random life may not have had the ability to eat, or divide/reproduce. It's amazing, the seemingly random result of so many species and spectacular biodiversity. Some chain of life might have had the perfect setup to never have disease or be silicone based, and maybe a volcano erupted and killed all of that particular life.

You could go insane trying to find a reason for life, but it's as simple as surviving.

We are here because there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to go.

Because your real dad fucked your mom....

All life on this planet is due to a convergence of natural processes and substances , almost accidental.

Humans are a blip to the universe. Maybe it's natural law, somehow out of primordial soup spawns a version of life. Then it's gone again without as much as a stain to remember us by.

We are here to learn, grow, get smarter, stronger, wiser. In other words, to become all we can be or the best that we can be.

Humans are here solely because of the evolutionary processes that occurred millions, if not billions, of years ago. We are NOT the paramount of the evolutionary process, we are, in my opinion, little more than another experiment of nature just as are birds, animals, fishes, etc, etc, and the forces of nature in company with our misdeeds will decide whether or not we will continue to evolve or simply go the way of the dinosaurs eventually.

The "Why" that frames the question carries an enormous assumption. Does there have to be a purpose other than that which we determine?

We are here so that the universe can know it exists.

you're asking that in a funny place to ask. almost all of us are atheists or agnostics, so of course we're not going to say we're here to glorify some god.

g

For the nonbeliever, there can, of course, be no answer to this question. I like to fall back on the philosophy espoused by Neil Peart, my favorite drummer, who wrote:

"Why are we here?
Because we're here
Roll the bones
Why does it happen?
Because it happens
Roll the bones

Faith is cold as ice
Why are little ones born only to suffer
For the want of immunity
Or a bowl of rice?
Well, who would hold a price
On the heads of the innocent children
If there's some immortal power
To control the dice?"

We're 'ere becos we're 'ere, and there's no one else. (Zulu 1964)

I worry more about just beign a good persons, who i hope will leave the world a better place by my having been a part of it.

Because your real dad screwed your mom.....

Because we ran out of fuel in the galactic rat race so we had to park it somewhere. And there is no such thing as evolutiion. We have digressed since.

My best answer is that we are here because we are not someplace else.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186054
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.