Agnostic.com

33 22

“Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty.” Henry David Thoreau

I'm feeling rebellious now 🙂 You?

silvereyes 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just question everything

for everything or on school gates

behaving ain't no fun.

ever do something you shouldn't just for the thrill. You know like skipping the step in the instructions to let your dinner set for a minute before eating.

Always!

skado Level 9 Jan 27, 2018

Remember, the motto: "The squeaky wheel get the grease" was supposed to apply to us. The Chinese motto: "the protruding nail gets pounded down", is starting to take over here. It is simply due to population growth and 'diversity'. Too many people with competing needs, wants and cultures makes it harder and harder to govern. Disobedience (some forms) can lead to violence and civil war. ZPG discussed the negative effects of population for years; one doesn't have to work at NASA to understand it. Imagine if the U.S. had the population of China (1.2 Billion versus 320 million) what that would do to our democracy?

However, we should not downplay the importance of non-violent disobedience as compared to the violent type pushed by the conservative 'brown shirts'.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." George Orwell

I would really love to hear what Orwell would have to say today! Still, I feel he really got it with his political commentary.

In our broken society disobedience is more & more becoming a civil duty. which suits me well. I love to rebel, love my freedom 🙂

Henry David Thoreau had issues. Some levels of disobedience are excessive. "Sovereign Citizens".

Always and forever...

This is probably one of the most misquoted writing from the 1800's. This is often associated with Thoreau's take on the civil war and events leading up to it as well as his displeasure over the government. However, it was published 20 years before the essay was used in politics.

The rest of the quote reads "The obedient must be slaves". He is not saying to rebel, or even to break any laws. He even laments (in his way) breaking the law himself which landed him in prison. What the aim of his essay "Civil Disobedience" is referring to is questioning the motives, and structures behind those in authority so that society as a whole is not blindsided and subjugated.

Feeling, hell! Plans for a guillotine are in my kitchen!

Then I am all for liberty

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." Ralph Waldo Emerson 😉

With Trump and his morally bankrupt Republican congress in power, you betcha!!

I don't know what to tell you. I hate to agree but I don't hate so... I don't know what to say. But at the 3:14 minute of this short on the "The WIld One", premiered the year I was born Johnny got ask the question "Hey Johnny What you Rebel about?". His answer is part of Hollywood Folk and Lore.

I've been feeling rebellious since 68..now it's boiled over to outright revolutionary..

Yes I am a Pirate. I'm over 200 years too late. The cannons don't thunder and there's nothing to plunder. I'm an over 40 victim of fate. Arriving too late.... Arriving too late....

Jimmy Buffett

Rules are made to be broken.

I always liked that lyric from Me and Bobby McGee, "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose, nothing ain't worth nothing, but its free...". We are so bound by the things in our lives, unless we are ready to let them go, we cannot be free. Some day, I will get on that Greyhound bus and ride the dog to true freedom. Shirt on my back, ticket in my pocket and smile on my face.

Yes, I only wish I could do something, that might 'move the needle'...toward the center!

Since Authorities are the most dangerous sort of people. We must be disobedience as much as possible, yet never unethical.

Making our own Universe circle way in life possible.

Of course. My whole life as an outspoken atheist is an example of rebellion. I don't follow what White Anglo Saxon Protestants say I should be. I don't care if this pisses people off.

Think he had a point of reference.

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion - Albert Camus

jeffy Level 7 Jan 27, 2018

reading Thoreau for me is like going to a buffet. I don't like over half of what is being served but I do go to the buffet.

"Chew the meat and spit out the bones"—slogan for intellectual life.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18628
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.