Agnostic.com

14 1

I grew up eating red meat. It's one of those cultural programmed behaviors that I've never, ever, questioned. But lately I've encountered more and more people in my life that told me about how much better they feel after becoming...dare I say the word...vegan.
So I just finished watching the movie "What the Health " and I'm starting to wonder, what if...?
Considering that I believe people on this site is generally progressive, I am seeking out some feedback. Have you tried it?

Dionisio 3 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I haven't eaten dead animals in over 35yrs, but the reason I decided to do that had to do more with ethics. I love all animals - all of 'em, and I feel they have a right to their lives as much as we do. Plus, our "meat" industry is a horrendous nightmare, that raises animals in horrible conditions, and then murders them cruelly. And the making of "meat" is an environmental disaster all opver the world.

Here's just a few films to see, if you wish to learn more - most are available online :

Vegucated, Fast Food Nation , Food Inc, Fat-Sick-and Nearly Dead , Meat the Truth, Supersize Me, Cowspiracy.

Also - remember, you can do the transition in stages, it doesn't need to be all at once ! There are all kinds of really good non-meat "meats" out there. And you could start as vegetarian first. Give it a try - nothing to lose, and everything to gain !

This question gets me chased out of the room sometimes, but I am curious: What is the determining factor as to eatability? It can't be life form or you'd be refusing potato. Is it "I won't eat anything with a face"? What about eggs? Fish? Birds (Chicken/turkey). I guess my underlying question is: "Why do you see a difference between, say, a carrot and a squirrel?"

@Dick_Martin Birds qualify as animals too- so they're out for me. I still eat eggs, but only those from my happy, healthy chickens - who will always be pets whether they lay or not. And a carrot or a squirrel ? The carrot lacks a nervous system, and a brain.

I have no idea how I'd feel on a vegan diet. I do, however, know what it feels like to place a chunk of butter-soaked lobster tail on my tongue, and I think I'd rather slit my wrists than give that up forever.

I am starting to eat less to A. improve my health B. to lower my carbon footprint. Its hard to give up meat fully so right now I am limiting it chicken/turkey once a week.

I just try to keep my meat-heavy meals to a minimum, which I'm only so-so at doing. I'm fairly thin and have occasional low blood sugar issues, so I need to keep a fair bit of protein in my diet—easiest way to do that is meat. Also, I love the flavor of it. That being said, I respect people who can reduce their intake, and I need to be eating more healthy vegetables.

We're not vegan but my wife and I have been vegetarian for 15 or so years -- we started because we had a vegan close friend staying with us and it was easier to just not have meat in the house.

Both of us stayed with it after she left. We both found food tastes better without the fat taste in your mouth all the time and we stopped worrying about our weight years ago. Now we just make sure our diets include enough vitamins and stuff. Lol.
I recommend the lifestyle for various reasons -- first it's an easy way to feel good about yourself.

I've been vegetarian so long that I don't remember what I felt like when I was eating meat...but I do remember when I first made the change I felt lighter and more energetic and that's why i decided to make it a permanent change.

Humans have not really evolved to be vegan. Most of us do not metabolize carbohydrates well, since agriculture has only been around for the last 10,000 years. The best science indicates that consumption of easily digestible carbohydrates increases the risk of metabolic syndrome.

I like a ham hock in my beans. They just wouldn't be the same. Its hard to get good fresh produce where I live. So I eat root vegetables, like yams, and carrots. Some times the broccoli, and asparagus is in decent shape, and I add that to my diet. Bacon is hard to resist, and I like eggs. I enjoy a good T bone and a New York Strip grilled on a wood fire about 3-4 times a year. Hamburger goes a long ways in my house. I have to watch my carbs, so noodles, and bread are out. I get by with a little help from friend -- Meat.

I was virtually a vegan for about 6 months. I went down to a healthier weight, felt good. Main problem was eating out as very few places catered well for vegetarians at that time. Restaurants have more to offer vegetarians now.

Food shopping was much cheaper and quicker.

I don't eat much meat, especially red meat...but every once in awhile I enjoy a big fat steak...lol.

I tried being vegan. I did not last long. I know how to cook well, and I like to experiment with dishes from different cultures. I tried being vegan several times , but the longest that I lasted was five weeks.

Actually, several of the skeptical Websites I visit have debunked this movie, including Brian Dunning of Skeptoid.
[vox.com]

The bottom line is we're omnivores. We have been for our entire time as a species. People can choose to be vegetarian or vegan, especially in our modern day of vitamins and supplements, but it's best to do so based on sound science, not conspiracy theory.

The idea of being "progressive" is to make sure that our science is sound. When it's not, we need to challenge that.

I hate the abuse animals get because of our overpopulation. there's no time for respect, caring or husbandry. I am an omnivore like a chimp. also look at all the life killed because of crops and man-made things. 2.5 million tons of pesticide used each year. does a 500-year-old oak have less right to be here than a hippo? what about the creatures we don't like ie tapeworms and bot flies. I think the real problem is overpopulation and greed rather than what we eat. everything that is eaten used to be alive and doesn't want to die.

I eat very little red meat and often eat vegetarian dishes and lots of fish. I rarely eat processed foods and like to make most meals from fresh ingredients - it's cheaper and take little extra effort. I reckon everything is ok in moderation - including moderation.

A colleague at work has recently become vegan, not due to ethical ideals, but as a type 1 diabetic tried it as a way of managing her diabetes. She reports that she has found it much easier to manage her sugar levels and her insulin dose had been significantly reduced. She also reports feeling more energised, but she is does not think that this is necessarily directly due to her diet.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18645
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.