Agnostic.com

43 3

Are you an example for people around you?

If you're in an area where most people Believe, do they see you as an anomaly?
"(S)He's one of those!"
Do you think they comprehend more about non-belief by knowing you?
Do you feel pressure to be a good example?
Are you honored to demonstrate that a person does not need a mythological threat in order to be a good person?

CallMeDave 8 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

43 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I lead an honest life, so, yes. I am living proof gods are unnecessary.

I hope I'm not an example. I'm sort of an asshole and a crazy anarchist.

Nope. My experience has been that you can't cut through the preconceived notions (about amoral, baby-eating atheists) if you tried, so there's no point trying to be an example. That's just where I'm at.

Since I left my old church I've been toying with the idea of letting them know I've been an atheist all along--so they'll stop trying to win me back. I was much beloved and valued for my singing and music, and I think regarded as kind and humble. I am fully convinced that outing myself as having been a closeted atheist in their midst will instantly warp their picture of me into one of Satan's own corrupted, evil minions. It would scandalize them, and perhaps terrorize. I don't want to do that to them.

From my limited sample of interactions with religious people during my life of 64 years, I find that currently, people are much more tolerant of atheists than they once were. Younger people seem to be the most tolerant, though.

That is encouraging

I think of myself as more of a warning.

I like to think that with all of the community events and projects that I'm involved in that the folks in my town have to think about it. Usually after one of these is when people ask me what church I go to. I tell them the Art's Center.

I just be myself if they like it fine if not its their problem

I try my utmost to be a good example to those I meet or know, especially children in the hope they too will take on my aims and attempts.

I only care about setting a good example for my children.

The atheist meetup group here hands out business cards that say atheist when someone assumes they're christian and that's why they're doing the good thing.

I try to be

An example for honesty and integrity. Yes. An example of sometimes being TOO honest and speaking my piece TOO vocally...most definitely.

No, I only answer to myself. I would not presume to be so important that I am setting examples for anyone. I live by my own values and whether or not I can look myself in the mirror. 😀

I do feel like I’m a good example. I’ve been told that at work several times. As a result I often feel that “difficult “ patients are routed my way.
As far as being a “good atheist example “. My coworkers dismiss my non-belief and make comments like “I know one day you’ll be called”. ? I allow this because I don’t want to argue so I guess I’m not.

I don’t really care. If I am, so be it.

no. I'm the guy that makes them think atheists are jerks. I don't care. "well, I'd respect atheists more if they were nice" means nothing to me since the vast majority of the people around me think atheists, nice or not, literally DESERVE to suffer eternal torture. they want respect, I'm going to need a little bit more than "I'd be nicer to you, but still believe you are less than an animal" in order to give it to them.

I try to live an honorable life. I meet people all the time who I get to be friends with, but I don't tell them I am atheist/pagan, but, usually they figure it oit. By the time they find out, we are friends, they know my ways, and it is a non issue. I'm not saying I never talk about it, but usually it is because I don't celebrate Christian holidays and I am asked about it. I have no problem telling people I am atheist/pagan, but I usually let it come up from my friend, and not from my bringing it up.

I get called out for “being such a nice guy” despite not being religious. I don't feel honored by it, I’m disappointed. Disappointed that they cannot value their own judgement.

We may never know the effect we have another people, but the repercussions of our actions goes on far behond what we might think.

I live in a super small town but its still not small enough that I feel Ive got the word out about who I am or what I don't believe or anything; other than family and friends I can't imagine who would know. I don't have any bumper stickers or t shirts (yet) that would give anyone reason to know any relevant labels for my beliefs. I wouldnt care who knew either, but theres no obvious identifiers. Dont really care what most people think of me if they do know, except that professionally I hope my reputation as fair honest and hardworking precede me.

There is no replacement for reputation.

@CallMeDave true dat, its my impulsive nature to always be honest I don't think I could help it if I wanted to. My bosses always seem to be intimidating guys who know they can rattle anyone but Im always the only one in the company not afraid to tell them the truth and speak up for myself if Im bein fussed at for something I can't help and I think they both highly respect it and become bemused by it at once lol. Honestys always the best policy. If you know the name of an honest mechanic or in my case IT guy theyre worth their weight in gold.

@Wurlitzer I'm a carpenter and now I think I should put on a few pounds, and charge more. (-;

For me.. being into Taoism is more of an anomaly than being agnostic. I do try and be a good example without pushing my beliefs.

yet the term at least if not the notion of Karma is coopted by so many prople, often Christians.

@CallMeDave you know what.. I never even thought about that!

@hippydog well, as long as your karma runs over their dogma.

No. I just live my life. They can see me out there in the world not raping or murdering or robbing banks or being a litter bug and make whatever they want out of it. Or not. I don't care.

GwenC Level 7 Sep 25, 2018

I am glad to hear there is one more person not littering. And the rest.

Nope. I have no such desire. I'm too busy being me ?

I hope people see me as good

I don't know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:186801
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.