Agnostic.com

4 6

QUESTION How I became a Fundamentalist extremist in my childhood, its affects, and how I got out. - Atheist Nexus

This is the story of how I was indoctrinated into becoming an Young Earth Creationist, Fundamentalist, Extremist. And how I go out. It was hard to hash through the brainwashing. I would appreciate if you have similar experiences to share or your comments.

DavidLaDeau 8 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Get this. I'm on my break at a public school where I work and your link has been blocked. Wow! Small town MN here where the population is about 3000 and there are about 8 churches and 2 bars if you include the golf course on the edge of town. I've been told that I can't plan activities on Wednesdays after school or evenings unless I call the ministerial committee first. They like to pretend it's the 1950s.

I don't understand, was it specifically blocked by the school district, If so I am flattered. Tonight I'M planning on sending the link to the senior pastor of that church, It will be interesting to see if they bother to respond....I very much doubt it. I will howerer send a nice introduction and invite them to have a conversation with me.

Not specifically just couldn't get by the flagged words I think.

Great piece. Now, if you feel a relapse coming on, you'd better go to AA (Atheists Anonymous) 🙂 I guess that's here. Seriously though, I found your explanation about why you changed interesting, bible studies and other things mixed in, but not one big transforming event. That's probably typical. People I have met who have renounced religion usually say it was a process not a big I saw the light event.

Thank you My favorite Quote is from Christopher Hitchens "Athiesm is not choosen , It's discovered."

Thank you…. 13 years ahead of you, I’d suffered none of that.. But in my early twenties watched the wave arrive ..and with a motley crew of fellow (no women) Atheists, faced the storm. Letters to editors, support for women’s clinics, the gay community, local cable ‘atheist news programs,’ online battles with fundies.. even ‘picketing the pope.’ Imagine that, as you rode the tide, we were drowning…

I think the Republican party determined that without harvesting and harnessing religion in the USA, Humanism and Science would prevail.. So their industrial bakers funneled money into politics like never before ..and the ‘wall of separation’ crumbled. It’s never been repaired, as the Republican party has become dependant on their ‘supercharged’ exceedingly fanatic branch of religious zealots, their hatred and denial of science and humanity continues to fester…

Far removed from the action ...laying in bed with my young wife on the top floor of my families homestead cabin reading American Atheist Magazines cover to cover … while wondering what had gone wrong..? I witnessed ‘your kind,’ in many settings, such as the Oregon State Capitol lobbying their republican ilk against state colleges continuing research on ..anything. Or taking over our school boards with the hidden agenda of killing sex ed and science… They were everywhere - and riding high!

Madalyn Murray O’Hair had said (paraphrased), ‘every religion dies the same death, that of being found out.’ You found out.. I think the tide has turned, and much of the religious resurgence had been due to the ‘baby boomers’ having become parents and assuming ‘religion’ would best guide their young. It’s so complex, and tragic.. But welcome out, I’ve definitely noticed you around here, and appreciate the seriousness you bring to these discussions along with a perspective I lack. Yes, thank you … perhaps you’re that smidgen of hope I had ..through some decades of darkness ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 27, 2018

Thank you so much, that is one of the nicest and most encouraging resposes I have ever recieved.

Thanks for sharing that, these things help me understand a new perspective and I like hearing other people's stories.

I do too. Everyone has a past and It molds how they see things. These prospectives can be very beneficial to everyone, particularly in problem solving.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18691
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.