Agnostic.com

22 0

Do you believe in aliens?

Do you think that aliens exist? If so, are they more or less advanced than us, and do they care about us. Regardless of your answer, please elaborate below.

• 23 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 2 votes
  • 12 votes
  • 5 votes
  • 5 votes
ErichZannIII 7 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It would be arrogant to think we are the only life in the universe. 🙂

It is entirely possible that alien life is out there, if not it is a waste of space

It would be ignorant to think we are alone. My best theory is....the aliens are us in the future! LOL TRUST NO ONE!

I think it possible, but, we only have a sample size of one.
The silence is perplexing.

I believe in the possibility of alien life, given the size of the universe and its age of 13.7 billion years, but the belief in actual aliens will depend on clear proof of their existence.

Definitely yes. It has been demonstrated that mathematically the odds of us being the only inhabited planet in the universe is absurd given the enormous amount of galaxies. Now, the idea of us meeting another of those species... well I highly doubt that will happen anytime soon. We are billions of light years apart.

I believe there is a chance of there being aliens out there. I mean, we already know that some microbes can survive the vacuum of space. And it's believed that "alien" microbes are responsible for life on earth; in part at least.
The big problem is that because space is so vast, we will probably never find out. Space is rapidly expanding at an astonishing rate that IF aliens do exist... They would need to travel faster than the speed of light to reach us. And as far as human understanding goes of the laws of physics go... No matter can exceed that speed.

For me... The belief in aliens is more plausible than the belief of a sky wizard who clearly doesn't care about what happens to what he/she has created.

My 4th grade teacher recently shared this on facebook. The part that is sticking in my head is the part about how small our signals are that we are sending out their in hope of finding aliens. It os a very big universe. It doesn't seem irrational to think rhat they could exist. Sorry if link doesnt work not sure about sharing videos from facebook?
[m.facebook.com]

MsAl Level 8 Jan 28, 2018

I believe we are a product of them

We are alone in the universe when we use the "biggest we". There was a time when people who lived more than a day of walking didn't exist and then eventually they were strangers and eventually they were neighbors and eventually they were just part of "us". If there is life out there, it came from the same big bang as us, so they're just our cousins. The universe isn't small, but it was at the instant of the big bang. Just an odd thought of aliens... and politics...

I believe that it is highly probable that self replication molecules/compounds exist elsewhere in the universe.

It is possible that those have resulted in some sort of phenomenon that could be described as life.

The hypothesis that life exists elsewhere in the universe in the absence of any evidence to substantiate it, must therefore remain just that - a hypothesis. If life has developed at a similar rate to here on earth, then the potential is that any intelligent life is at a similar stage to us. So any signal we may receive from them will be potentially thousands of years old.

So with respect to life on other planets, I remain agnostic.

Did you mean illegal aliens or beings from other galaxies? If you mean beings from other galaxies, then I'll lump them together with deities because until I see evidence of them, I'm going to go with no.

Yes they exist and some are more advanced and others are less advanced and still others are advanced in ways we are not equipped to calculate. example My slitherboard is better than yours.

@ErichZannIII Slitherboard is something I just made up on the spot. Their computers might still be as big as your average school locker, but the rocket powered boards they strap onto their tentacles might travel at 500mph. How could we calculate weather brand X slitherboard or brand y slitherboard was better? Which one has the flashier paint job when the aliens using them see in the ultraviolet or infrared spectrum? Which one is more advanced when brand x can pull more, but brand y has a quicker take-off?

Do I believe they exist? Sure. Do I believe they've visited Earth? Not necessarily.

I don’t believe in anything, however, statistically there should be life elsewhere in the universe.

Our universe is tooooo large to think we're the only ones. Is there evidence? None that I know of. Do I believe in the alien stories that we've all heard? Nope.
Just my opinion.

Infinite space, matter and time = infinite life

gater Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

@ErichZannIII Space and time are both infinite. You are referring to the Observable universe, 14 billion years, 90 billion light years, expanding. the remnants of the big bang.

@ErichZannIII as I already said - the Observable Universe is expanding.
The Universe by definition can not expand.
You need to understand the distinction.

There are an infinite number of alien societies throughout the Universe - the trouble is reaching them - the distances keeps us apart.

However - If a group built a huge spaceship - large enough for a society, they could travel for thousands of years, and eventually reach us.

gater Level 7 Jan 28, 2018

Yes, and it does not matter. The distances to possible "Goldilocks" planets is so great that travel contact is highly unlikely.

I will grant the alien dilema the same treatment of god. Proof. Because an atheist to believe the Universe is so Fucking Big that there have to be another lifeform. Then it must believe also that in such a Fucking Big Universe there must be a god somewhere slaving a shape of lifeform or being worshipped by one. Because is a Big Universe after all and pretty unknown to us. Proof.

@MichaelSpinler So let's go back to the same... and your universe as you just put it over to me has no means of disproving me... what if in its infinitum boring way of existence god go around the Big fucking universe creating new worships? god just sticking around a few millenias of years, stirs the pot and leave to create the thing in another galaxy within that big universe full of planets to have fun with... Maybe he come back every 10,000,000 for audit and is gone again. Planets does not means life as mercury and pluto been telling you at this moment. You want aliens but you don't want god... Funny but is kool with me... just funny.

@MichaelSpinler So based on your logic... just because there is not a god on earth... what will stop of being a god in another planet right? What do you know of another planet? Can you name me right now a planet other than earth with a lifeform as you know... right now at this moment? yes? no? You can not show me proof of aliens on another planet... so show me proof of not a god in another planet. yes? no? you can't either can you? I believe there is no god but I can't prove you since I never been to another planet were god possibility may exist but if your only argument is a probability percentage based on earth math... Not Enough For Me Until They Show Up or We Visit Them.... So aliens and god are in the same boat. No Proof.

@MichaelSpinler Show me the aliens... see? I can show you life on earth that believe in a god... but you can't show me alien life can't you? can you? I don't mind, believe in aliens all you want, not believe in god all you want.... is your life. I will believe in one when I see one... gods and aliens in the same folder and folder thrown in the fire.

@MichaelSpinler always numbers... no proof... always numbers... fugazi, fugazi.

No.

To me there is no way that we as in earth is the only fertile planet with life on it. There has to be life elsewhere.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18880
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.