Agnostic.com

21 2

Assuming you are out of school, does continuing to learn matter to you? If so, what do you do to make sure it happens?

chicagojcb 7 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Education isn't something you can finish." Isaac Asimov

I didn't go to college until I was in my 40s but even today, if something interests me or makes me curious, I will research it until satisfied.

I will always be learning, but not in organized classes anymore. I seek information through all available sources.

...continue to learn after skool....hmmmmm.... I didn't start to learn until I was out of skool.

Yes, I step outside my room. There is a whole world to explore on a daily basis. Earth is a Large Lab.

Yes. I’m a teacher.

I am fully committed to lifelong learning. I will never know it all. Things change, things get forgotten, learning takes care of both. The first step in becoming a lifelong learner is learning how to learn. Developing a sense of curiosity about the world also helps. Don't just accept that something exists. Examine it, question why, how and what causes it to be so. What are the relationships between things. Experience is a great teacher. Adults learn best through experience. Try it, be it. Become one with it. If you really want to live, then become a student of life.

Bingo! And funnily enough, life becomes much more interesting and exciting. It's a bonus.

Read...and then read some more! Then I got to a point, that I didn't devour books and articles, anymore. But, I believe all that reading helped me in ways that I can't describe. I read a book now and again, but not like the past. Also, in my case, I only read non-fiction.

My mother was still devouring a book a day at the age of 94 but she didn't go on the internet.

Its a TRAP! Lifelong education and self improvement only makes you realise that you are surrounded by morons who ruin everything because of their ignorance. Whats more, these morons will hate you because being smart is like being evil to them. You will end up drunk and nihilist and suffering in mental agony.
choose dumb, be stupid, get a head injury. Ignorance is bliss

Tolstoy's paraphrased wisdom of "the successful man or women is the one who never put their head above the parapet".

Crap please acquaint yourself with -

[qz.com]

@BookDeath actually, there are studies that show a simple lifestyle with religion is the key to long and happy life

@FrayedBear much wisdom xD

@FrayedBear Fascinating! Great definition of stupid, and it absolutely explains things like why some people vote against their own interests. I've stolen the graphic for later reminder. 🙂

@JiunnWong then I will be happy to die young and bitter. Which given my current age should probably be tomorrow. Crap, I've got so much to get done!

I didn't finish school, so it was important to take on a lot of learning later in life, I told myself I have done enough study, I never want to do it again. Today I withdrew at the last minute from a uni course in cyber security management, thankfully I realised it was mostly academic rather than real world.

Sounds like the best of lessons @Rugglesby

It's kinda funny.. If I were to go to college, at this point it would be both redundant but completely free.

I learn ALL the time. I love learning, I'm not so good with studying. I read about 50 books a year of various types. I read websites, I follow several blogs. I talk with people and learn from them. Learning is good, learning is normal. We assess new information all the time and learn from it. I don't understand how people cannot learn. It is wired into us as humans.

"Live and learn. Or you don't live long." - Robert Heinlein

There are soooooo many ways to continue learning after official schooling is over, but I think the common thread of all types of learning is exposure to new things. Here is a personal example:

A few years ago some electrical outlets stopped working in my house. I decided to not call an electrician, and just watched a bunch of "how to" YouTube videos. I was able to fix the problem! I attempted to do the same thing when I had an electrical problem with my Jeep, but I was unsuccessful. After a while I ended up joining a meet up group, and those folks were extremely helpful - I fixed my jeep! Now I do all kinds of electrical and electronics work on my own, and I have friends (from the meetup) that I never would have met. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a professional, but I have learned a lot, and I continue to learn.

Learning never stops....unless your brain only repeats what others tell you and you don't analyze the info. received.
Attending conferences, taking those classes you never had the time for while working. Discussing and reasoning every bit of info, that falls on your hands.
My students knew they have to come to class with answers that were discussed among themselves several times over.

Absolutely.
I grew up in a crap town with crap schools.
They only put emphasis on sports and very little on knowledge. A lot of our textbooks were grossly outdated. Most of the stuff I know today, I learned in the years after I left school.
I learned from other people, by watching documentaries and by reading.
And what I learned I researched to make sure the information was accurate or in line with scientific understanding.

No, no crap schools but crap teachers.

@DUCHESSA Where I grew up, the schools were garbage too. We had nothing. We didn't even have any classes like band, art, etc.

Learning stuff is my favorite activity. The only problem is trying to fit what I want to learn into the official "continued education" bureaucracy's bullshit (mostly so that they can feel important) criteria.

Yes, I google things.

I hope you also have learned to be a critical thinker, since google serves up facts and crap with equal abandon. If you haven't read it, I highly recommend Carl Sagan's "Demon-Haunted World" which among other things gives people a Baloney Detection Kit (Dr Sagan did not have the foul mouth I have). Enjoy!

Continued learning is absolutely essential in my field of software engineering. Not only does technology advance, but what people expect from it changes. I have to change with that or I become irrelevant, and that requires learning.

"A day spent without learning something is a day wasted." – Anonymous

Absolutely! Youtube, audiobooks, and online access to articles make it too easy to pass up. You have to almost willfully stop learning.

One of the few things that my dead brother said that I have respected and retained :"the day that you stop learning is the day that you die".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18887
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.