Agnostic.com

7 5

Do you ever imagine what the sky looked like to early man?

I've always been addicted to the sky. I've seen the stars in the desert and I try to imagine what the sky looked like when the only light pollution was a scattering of fires. I can understand why early man would create the pantheon of legends, tales and deities over the ages to attempt to make sense of things that inspire so much awe.

verdefae 5 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

seeing blue.....

[radiolab.org]

Yes, quite often. I imagine them being both awed and frightened, and making up stories to explain their feelings. I also see them learning to recognize the celestial patterns and learning to use them in different aspects of their lives.

marga Level 7 Feb 4, 2018

Yes. I do. I imagine our ancestors, men and women, seeing patterns and shapes in the sky and making up the story of the year.

Yes. I do. I imagine our ancestors, men and women, seeing patterns and shapes in the sky and making up the story of the year.

I have spent a good deal of time at sea, and in areas far from any civilization. I don't need to wonder about it, but I do wonder why man has such a terrible fear of the dark today. There are lights everywhere that lights can be.

In 1948, I joined the Junior Astronomer's Guild at Griffith Observatory. I remember the concern then about light pollution from the city. The same was true for Mt. Wilson. Later, it was encroaching on the usefulness of the Hale instrument at Mt. Palomar. Now it is so bad that kids raised in the Los Angeles basin see only a few stars, the moon, and the sun.

It intrigues me, too. I’m on a dimly lit (in numerous ways) portion of US Virginia’s Blue Ridge at an elevation where, when it’s cold and little humidity, the ‘stars’ (including other suns, distant galaxies and neighboring planets) don’t even ‘twinkle.’ I envision riding our planet through space!

It’s obvious that ‘something’ had to be concocted to fulfill the curiosities of early humans, I’ll even give them points for imagination! ...but not anymore. There’s no excuse with all we’ve learned to cling to myths … it’s a disservice to our species. I’m thankful to be alive in a time & place that has allowed me to understand more about what’s out there than anyone before me…

Varn Level 8 Jan 28, 2018

I never really considered the effect of light pollution until I spent a month at a biology station in the Adirondack Mountains. It seemed that there were a dozen times as many stars as I could see back home (You could even find satellites and follow them across the sky!). I envy folks who live in rural parts of the western states for this....If I was living in the times of early man, the night sky would scare me to death; every star would look like the reflected eyes of a predator!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18908
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.