Agnostic.com

44 7

Is being an atheist important?

Is it important to let people know you are an atheist?

ThomasLevi 6 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Being an Atheist is as important as being honest sane and neighborly. I was born this way and cannot imagine living my life any differently than Atheistically......I will not lie for 2 rapist popes, be irrational as bible thumpers nor threaten anyone with alleged hells nor bribe others with alleged heavens

It doesn't define me. However, it is more important to live a life based in reality and facts than one in delusions and willful ignorance.

Faith is belief in the absence of facts. Willful ignorance is belief in spite of the facts. Willful ignorance is often mislabeled as "faith" by religious persons.

It depends on the situation. If we're casual acquaintences and the subject doesn't come up, then no. If I am asked to join/do something affiliated with a church, then yes. If the person is genuinely close to me then my attitudes and proclivities will come up naturally.

Freeing oneself from the clutches of rigid ideology is what is important.

Being an atheist is natural and ordinary. We've all heard how all children are atheists until they are conditioned by adults to believe; we've all heard how everyone is an atheist for every other religion on earth but their own. And everyday experience informs us that a person's religious identification has nothing whatsoever to do with their moral behavior, which is what really counts.

I don't volunteer the information and when the subject comes up, if I have a political or business need to avoid giving offense to others, I identify as "not religious" and only use the word "atheist" if pressed. In a low-pressure situation, I treat it as both unimportant and the equivalent of any sort of religious identification.

How often do people attach importance to the color of their eyes? How much importance should be attached to that variable but immutable characteristic? That's the appropriate level of importance of a person's religious identification, which includes atheism.

I think it is best to avoid the issue at first in order for them to get to know you first. Most non-Atheists still have a prejudice against Atheists. But this is starting to change.

I think it is important for people to separate their religion and politics though I'm not sure if that is actually possible. It doesn't matter to me that I'm an atheist. It does to some people, usually the religious ones.

I'm with what most already said..I don't go around broaching the subject, but if someone makes a point of trying to engage me in a religious conversation I first try to discourage them by mumbling "Uh-huh" in a distracted manner and changing the subject, but if they get in my face I just say I don't believe that way anymore, or that "not everyone believes that way." I'm not being confrontational but my point is still being made.

That gives others the option of letting it slide if they wish. I also mentally change what they're saying to make it compatible with my beliefs..like changing "God' to "the Universe" or "my higher consciousness," and "thoughts and prayers" to "positive energy."

If they are really pushing my buttons, I can also the deploy the technique of seeing it from the perspective of "best intentions." For example, I can tell myself that "His saying that I'll go to hell is coming from his wanting to save my soul, and he feels it's his duty, or he also will be tortured forever. He's just afraid for both of us." This is harder to pull off if the person is behaving in a rude, belligerent manner.

I don't think anyone else cares about my stance on gods, except me. With the exception of my Sister, who, out of misguided good intentions occasionally tries to "sell" Jesus, even my close friends care not one iota about my deal. But then most of my favorite folks are in my life because we each recognize the similar open status of our minds, and have respect for one another.

It's no more important to me to let the world know I'm not a believer than is is to let them know I have two hammer toes on my left foot !

If it comes up, or if I'm asked, I believe it's extremely important for me to be honest about my atheism. I don't hide it under any circumstances.

Depends on the situation. If I expect to or would like to have a genuine or honest acquaintance with them, ABSOLUTELY. If not, no. It kind of goes hand-in-hand with the other part of my personality that believes in radical honesty. If people cannot handle my being an atheist, better that we get that out of the way quickly. And, also, I just don't want to be fake around people. And being an atheist is an important part of my life. Not so much the title, but more so I guess it's that NOT being a believer is a big part of who of I am.

Also, if people I KNOW try proselytizing to me, I speak up -- because I don't want to hear it.

If I am in public -- and say a cashier says "Have a blessed say," I mostly ignore it. But, I did write an e-mail to Costco letting them know I didn't want to be proselytized at their stores. I haven't heard it since.

I don't make an issue of it. I am who I am, if you want to know me better you will find out fast enough. It does not define me.

No, not for me and letting people know is not important to me either. I find it interesting how many need to state they are 'christian'.

That's precisely why I feel it's important for me to be open about it. If they're going to do it, so will I.

@KKGator BUT if asked I totally explain my position. In the day today stuff there is this one guy in the apartment complex that brings up bible stuff pretty regularly sometime I say something sometimes not. He's a very big time misogynist and recently brought up the snake, apple, Eve and I just looked him in the eye and told him 'Don't even start with that crap" and he shut up. He's also a bully.

Is it important, I guess that depends on the person. Is it important to let people know that also depends on the person and/or the situation.

I am a religious agnostic because of science, an atheist because of probability, and an anti-theist because of religion. - Matthew Cook

That's two questions lol. First question: no, it's not important. You don't believe in gods.There's that sorted! On to something important. What's for dinner (mac and cheese, I hope!)? Are my socks clean? Are my underwear on inside out? See?

But your second question... well, that's different. I think it only becomes important when the other people are trying to validate some point of theirs, or to lump you in with them so they can add weight to some point they're making and they're using religion to back their point (or make their law). There's no need to go around shouting that you're an atheist. I don't believe in the Horrible Bugblatter Beast of Feegle Nay Mumpty, but you don't see me telling everyone about it. Unless that disbelief plays some role in some event, what does it matter?

Yes. It is far better than basing my outlook on life on a lie.

And yes. Hiding it as if it is a secret implies it is something to be ashamed about. Being open about it provides an example of being a good, peaceful person living a good life without the fear of eternal punishment as the motivation. That doesn't mean I shove it in others' faces or wear it on my sleeve (or t-shirt.) I don't put bumper stickers on my car to advertise it. But if asked, or if circumstances make it relevant, then I will speak up (if it is not inappropriate to do so.)

Only when they insist on religious conversation or stepping on other people's beliefs. I don't run up to strangers and tell them I'm an athiest because that's not the only thing that makes me me. It's just a part of who I am.

Is not a matter of "being important" but of you feeling it's being important to you.

About as important as not believing in the tooth fairy.

Personally, only if people ask and argue. I generally let people believe what they want. I try not to judge people too much because it's a free country, and lately I've not been pestered because, though people may not understand, they understand I don't judge them.

No,why should it be important?

Not the general public. Perhaps people you work with and people you live with.

Not really , the beauty of being an atheist is that it doesn't consume enormous quantities of time .

The label is not important. What is important is freedom from slavish devotion to religious ideology.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18913
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.