Agnostic.com

13 1

Could you do a 5-45 minute talk on why you're and atheist?

Could you do a 5-45 minute talk on why you're and atheist and why you feel the need to be an open and outspoken atheist.
Most paths to gods are exactly the same but the path to no god range vastly and quite frankly I could listen to those all day.

ThomasLevi 6 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, I could do a very long talk on why I'm agnostic and NOT an atheist. Atheists are equally misguided as believers. Perhaps they come to better conclusions without having to jump through the hoops of a deity, but still, they're people asserting something that cannot be demonstrated.

They lost me at Abraham and Isaac when I was seven. I could do a talk then run like hell.

No. I was lucky to be born this way.

It woudl be easier to talk about inaccuracies of the bible, how the stories of the jewish religion were an amalgamation of four different previous religious traditions, which they adapted and edited as their own.

As just one inaccuracy, in the story of the Tower of Babel (Babylon), historians and archeologists say they was a tower which remained unfinished for a little over 200 years, but then construction was resumed and it was finished (oops). It is incredible that afte we sent ment to the moon, people would believe that people could build a tower to heaven... and if it weren't possible,then why would god be upset about it? Like most of the bible it really doesn't make any sense... especially since the tower ws actually completed.

Yes.

Boxes Level 3 Jan 28, 2018

5 minutes, you betcha. 45 minutes? not without becoming overly pompous and condescending.

Gads, man, just 45 minutes? Isn't that a bit restrictive?

I do it all the time. Just ask any of my acquaintances (and watch their eyes roll). I got that from my late partner who was an in-your-face, lifelong atheist from a Moslem country. Her body language let her get away with it. Mine not so much. Now I feel I have to do the work of two.

Absolutely. I talk about it at least once or twice a week on my radio show. My big crusade now is to lift the non-profit tax exemption from all religions. We could pay for medical and social services with that dough!

Great idea they preach politics from their pulpits and do not deserve tax free status.

I could do a 5 minute talk or a two hour talk. I've thought about it a lot.

I have a stand up routine on the subject that could easily fill 45 minutes.

I could, I'm sure, write up a speech that covers my religious upbringing and my progressive break from religion. If I didn't get much into philosophical concepts, but was detailed enough about my experiences, I'd probably have 10–15 minutes of material.

Yes.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:18920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.