Agnostic.com

5 4

QUESTION Germany Navigates Uncharted Legal Waters of Gender and Parenthood - TheHumanist.com

While it’s a victory to transition to one’s innately-determined gender and to be legally recognized as such, it’s becoming more and more evident that gender identity and expression is fluid, and a non-gendered title should reflect that under law. Germany’s ruling in favor of a third gender gives hope to an estimated 100,000 trans people living in the country—those who conceive children but who aren’t legally recognized by their preferred title, those who want to adopt children but can’t due to marriage law restrictions, and even those soon to be born into this world who will be made to fit into one box or the other. These small victories can help those who are transsexual, intersex, transgender and other non-binary identities to gain the same basic rights as their cis-born and same-sex counterparts. Moreover, it also helps to provide personhood, privacy, and protection of non-binary people and their families.

zblaze 7 Jan 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Funny, (actually sad for us) that Germany is beating us to the moral and decency claim.

Apparently they are really ashamed of some of their heritage and aim to make the future better.

@RavenCT Unfortunately, the Jewish state is using the German history to have the world ignore their own shameful behavior. It is said, abuse, the gift that keeps on giving.

@JackPedigo And how are we doing here in the US with our shameful behavior towards 10 million native people?

@Spinliesel You mean how have we done? Here in the Pacific NW there are lots of tribes and they wield tremendous power. My best friend's mother is native American (did you see my post about gluten-free flour?). Yes, most tribes suffer from poverty and also other issues but they are mostly intertwined in our local culture. Here is a recent link. Scroll down to first nations. I have been there and it is amazing and sometimes sad.
[seattletimes.com]

Wow, interesting times we live in.

Whenever someone writes that I think "Ancient Curse: May you live in interesting times,"

@RavenCT The first time I heard it was 9/11, it was an Ancient Chinese Curse. And if I believed in curses of any kind I'd say we've been thoroughly cursed.

@HippieChick58 Ah I think it might be from "The Art of War" I'll check my Kindle tonight. And yes I hear you. And I just Googled that and the origin is English! Gees: [en.wikipedia.org]

Since the beginning of time 'fitting' in was the ideal, and the more victorian the attitude towards sex the more difficult it is for some one who is not fitting the mold. I have the belief what does it mater who you love, it's more important that you love. Then there is the legal reality and the desire for titles and part to mesh with ones identy and have the legal rights that cis-born, etc. have. Baby steps but they are steps, America at the moment is devolving and regressing. sad

A friend's daughter found themselves in a similar position with respect to registering a birth here in the UK. She'd transitioned to living full time in the role of a woman, but given that she was the one that the sperm came from, the only option on the birth certificate was 'father.'

I hope we're moving towards a much more flexible world. One where you can be listed in the parental role of your choice, regardless of whether you provided the sperm or the egg and the biological incubation. Surely all that matters is that a child has two parents on there. Some might argue that it might stigmatise the child in future, but it's not so long since being born out of wedlock (the literal meaning of 'bastard' ) was massively stigmatic. It's acceptable to the point of normality these days.

The interesting thing with Europe is how it generally becomes more homophobic and transphobic the further east you go. Certainly if same sex marriage/civil partnership/no recognition for same sex relationships is a guideline. So hats off to Germany for doing this, being kind of in the middle ground geographically.

Yay! It's going to be something people will have to learn to understand everywhere. Some people just don't fit in the very basic CIS mold. I look forward to a day when we have good pronouns for this. And tolerance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19022
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.