Agnostic.com

13 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no doubt whatsoever that Elder Things and shoggoths are involved in this. No good will come of it!

Jnei Level 8 Oct 1, 2018

Hrm. "God particle", Higgs boson, was a missing piece and solved a puzzle. This looks like a conundrum and breaks particle physics.

Lucifer boson? Satanirino?

Santorumonium (from the root Santorum - I consider Rick concentrated evil)?

There's no mystery here...

[history.howstuffworks.com]

It's Hitler's UFO project...

/snerk

camne Level 7 Oct 1, 2018

the article keeps talking about these passing through the earth, in comparing them to neutrinos, but since they don't actually have source knowledge that is an assumption based on the fact that they detect in the same way cosmic rays do. they may be emanating from Antarctica, which would nullify the whole "cosmic particle passing clear through the earth but not acting like a neutrino" part of the theory all to hell.

there is a lot of supposition and hyperbole here that I don't like.

that said, I'm very interested to see them tune the tools and get more data, and if they find stuff that expands the standard model that will be cool.

This. I'm also curious to know how they know it wasn't a reflection of the particles from an angle that would put them toward the detector from the bottom. I'm sure they have something, and I'm completely sure the author of the paper wouldn't even have a clue to ask how they know it's actually passing through and not any other available explanation, but it would have been nice to see some of the alternative explanations listed and described, rather than merely ignoring them. Good comment, @HereticSin.

These comments are on a Science post? There's more woo going on here than at a Halloween 'Haunted Mansion'! I don't think I'll do my usual "Shameless Plug" (tm) here for my Science group, I'm afraid some of you might find it!
Now, I agree that this article's headline is hyperbolic, & needlessly so, but some of the "explanations" put forward below go way beyond this. Tho I realize that some were made with tongue firmly in cheek, not all were. I will admit to disappointment, but maybe not as much surprise as I would have expected.

Be quiet or trumpie will shut down the experiment

Sounds monkeys might be flying out of someone's butt.

Jeez... I guess it's too late to edit it. Should have been "Sounds like monkeys might be flying out of someone's butt.

@jorj - seems the option goes away after a certain time. No ability to edit this one.

@jorj - I'll try from a different device. My tablet has been acting kinda wonky lately.

well the first things that came into my mind is that something activated a generator of sorts. perhaps an unusual physical event happened that changed normal matter into a new form of high energy that is bursting out of Antarctica, via a conduit.

thanks and let me know if you see any new info on the subject

So far just read the condensed version.
Sounds good, got the magazine on Saturday haven't dug into it yet.
And yes keep the god thing out.

Interesting. I like it when science gets shake up.

Where can I get info on these?

At this stage who knows what this is? If we continue along paths of Trumpian science all we need is to simply start making things up.

Interesting!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191005
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.