Agnostic.com

55 7

What's worse?

What is worse Physical abuse, emotional abuse, or verbal abuse?

• 29 votes
  • 73 votes
  • 1 vote
Ravenwolfcasey 7 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Having seen all three, the idea of me seeing a male inflict "any of the above" to a female is just plain Wrong.

@maturin1919 I would submit that in both cases, suggests that violence(mental, physical, verbal) is still wrong, especially if the offender is just obviously just plain ugly, wrong, or a dumb bully. There is truth to the axiom that violence begets violence and sadly, violence begets More Violence...thereby elevating the chances of violence increased to higher levels or more(verbal & emotional upped to physical violence). There are ways, critically chosen word(s) and/or legal process(I resorted in 2003), that can easily put the offender "on notice". If it cannot eliminate it, it can minimize more "violence begetting more violence"...since any civil/legal act puts the offender under a public microscope. And since those type of offenders are really bullies...Bullies are Merely Functional Cowards who act out when they "think" that they free from any consequences..

All abuse is terrible

Emotional abuse if worse because it takes longer to heal from. This type of abuse can last years and shape people’s future. In my opinion it’s also by far harder to leave a emotionally abusive relationship

Most of the time abuse come in all three types at once, emotional is the worst though.

Sticks and stones to break my bones but words will never hurt me - is so wrong...

For me emotional abuse would be the worst.

Nardi Level 7 Oct 4, 2018

Vernal abuse and physical abuse are just different variations of emotional abuse. You don't physically hurt someone if you aren't trying to also hurt them emotionally. The emotional aspect of the abuse is most damaging, I believe, and the most difficult to overcome. But physical abuse is emotional abuse and so those who have been physically abused have both physical and emotional healing to do.

Been through all at some point. takes years, if not forever, to heal.

They’re all awful.

"Would you rather have a nightmare about--"

I'd prefer not to have any nightmares, thank you.

Emotional/psychological abuse is often the most painful and difficult to get over. And the abuse can be inflicted verbally, non-verbally (through policies and procedures like discrimination or shunning), as well as physically. It's possible for someone to be abused physically and not really be aware that they are being abused. But if they are abused emotionally they definitely know it.

Physical abuse can and does kill. This is Domestic Violence awareness month. Here we set out silhouettes showing those women, men and children killed in Domestic Violence. I will try and make a post with pictures.

Why is there NOT a " All of the above" option as well.
Every form of abuse is as bad as the next in my opinion.

I did not put a All of the Above..because obviously they are all bad but I wanted to see what people thought...about them individually

They're all bad, having been on the receiving end I wouldn't choose any one of them

Abuse is abuse. Bad news anyway you experience it.

All three are just as bad...especially when you are subjected to all three simultaneously...throw in sexual abuse and you have a view of what some childhoods were like. Self esteem is a very hard fought battle.

With all due respect it's kind of a ridiculous question. It is sort of like asking, " which is a worse way to die, being impaled by your steering column, or being decapitated by a guard rail through the windsheild?". In either case the outcome is the same and both are pretty bad. All abuse is bad snd there is no slide rule of better or worse. Its just a matter of the extent of abuse.

I think emotional and verbal abuse go hand in hand.

Depends on intensity.
Point is that huge physical abuse is visible and easy to prove, so it is easy to stop.
Emotional abuse can easily be hidden and difficult to prove, so difficult to stop, thus can be a lot more aggressive than the physical.
Any way I think physical is worse because it can instantly activate survival reactions that changes everything instantly.
Emotional abuse in general takes time to become severe, physical can be instantaneous.

All of the above.

Physical abuse sucks. I feel like verbal abuse should be included in emotional abuse.

Emotional abuse takes hard work and incredible time to heal. Bruises heal much faster. Both can be deadly.

Often emotional or verbal abuse is much worse than physical abuse!

It has taken me many years to even confront the verbal/emotional abuse. It has been so damaging. forgiving and stopping the cycles has helped me heal quite a bit. We can be much better humans. 😉

All forms of abuse are emotional. Physical wounds heal, but the emotional element endures. Verbal abuse is only words, what lasts is the feelings those words evoke. Without the mind the body is nothing. The scars that can't be seen are the hardest to heal.

D. All or any mentioned above.

Abuse is abuse. It fucks with you. I have had the luck to experience all at different points of my life. Some alone, some in combo. It all sucks.

All the above.

All 3 can lead to death or prolonged suffering. If I had to choose 1 of the 3, I would have to go with physical. Physical abuse directly causes psychological damage as well as physical. The other 2 sometimes indirectly cause physical damage. That said, I’d prefer not to put one form of abuse over the others. I’ve experienced all 3 forms, and in my case, the physical caused the least damage. This is definitely a case by case kind of question.

If you do not get married, just live together you can leave at any time. No reason to take any abuse. The only thing worse than abuse, is a pathetic person who is so weak ("but...but...I love him..." ) that they put up with it.

Men stay in abusive relationships too. Just because people are unmarried, it doesn't mean they don't have financial entanglements, children etc. Rarely are things that simple.

They can’t always “just leave”, money, children, and the biggest one, “I’ll kill you if you try”, and they do. The % of women killed by a crazy partner is insanely high. Don’t judge what you don’t understand, have some compassion, and look up some facts as well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191167
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.