Agnostic.com

31 2

Plagiarism, anyone?

How do you feel about posts wherein OP--with no attribution--is passing off as their own something they're swiped from someone/somewhere else?

• 19 votes
  • 1 vote
  • 13 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 41 votes
  • 4 votes
  • 2 votes
misternatureboy 7 Oct 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The very worst form of plagiarism is bubonic.

Once one person starts doing it, everyone around them starts doing it too.

Having taught writing, and for a while at a small college, I realized most people have little to no idea how to cite or use proper documentation, and thus, often plagiarize (some have been taught to do so improperly at their high schools). And, albeit I think of him as a great politician, even Veep Biden plagiarized years ago. Of course the Trumpester fire doesn't care about plagiarism or flat out lying.

I always try to give credit where due.

" Nothing new under the sun" I don't know who came up with that phrase, but Col. Sherman T. Potter said it at least once

If I use an idea or a skill I learned from someone or somewhere else I almost always try and attribute it to them.

I looked up plagerism online and was directed to Rian Johnsons THE LAST JEDI

Plagiarism, anyone?

Original content by mat

Did jesus ever said all those things they say he said?

Isn't that about whether or not you make money off of the retelling?

If I tell you a joke I heard did I plagiarize the guy I heard it from? Do I owe that guy credit or money for the joke he remembered hearing from someone else?
If I have a reproduction of a painting hanging on my wall do I need to tell everybody that sees it that I didn't paint that?

What bugs me more is when people state nonsense as fact.

Welcome to the internet, by the internet constitution on rule 24, this matter is already clearly solved and regulated:
24. Every repost is always a repost of a repost.

I voted "I dislike it and don't do it," but that's not wholly accurate. I don't like it, but I can't say I never do it, though not passing it off as mine. There are times when I overlook separating a bit of text out so that either the source is cited or it at least is obvious it has come from somewhere other than me. Usually, if the site allows it, I go back and edit the post to at least let folks know it wasn't mine. Plagiarism as such (deliberate as opposed to accidental) is something I never do. It's not only lazy, it's downright dishonest.

You missed an option

I never really thought about it and still won't 🙂

But you will.

People steal quotes all the time, there's quotes you can find quoting people who were quoting someone else.

If you quote someone, credit where it's due. If you thought it up yourself and someone else said it first (probably) then honest mistake. If you're trying to pass off someone else's knowledge or wisdom as your own, you're probably a fucking idiot who's more concerned with what people think of you than who you actually are. You're doing it wrong.

… is the highest form of flattery!

Can I copy that?

Lot's of folks probably do it without ever knowing. Just regurgitation of something they've read or heard or saw on a bumper sticker.
Knowingly passing off another's work as your own is always wrong. Ask any bluesman.

Well, as I always said, you can fool some of the people some of the time... I kid. ? Yeah it's a little sketchy, but in online forums, that's pretty much what I expect. I do tend to post a lot of snopes links when people repost disproven tropes, and that includes false attributions, but I'm not anal about it.

Reading the responses, it seems to me that there are a number of different situations that people were referring to in their comments. I took the most extreme negative comment because as a retired academic I immediately thought scientific paper. Others cited song lyrics. I do think there's a world of difference between submitting a paper for publication with unattributed material and quoting someone on a website.

Some people have enough creativity to copy/paste because they are lazy, other may post stuff because they feeling like sharing, others will add their own spin with additional remarks, other will get serious about adding and expecting everyone else to contribute....all that is fine but, plagiarism???...we are not writing a paper or developing the cure for anything, are we?

I like to cite my sources. Especially when it comes to quoting others.
I try not to advance other people's ideas as my own, I feel that is
intellectually dishonest.

I will acknowledge that I have not always been successful in that endeavor,
but, when it's happened, it's never been intentional.

Are you referring to the lyrics of a John Lennon song that was posted recently. I typed a reply stating that it's appropriate to cite the source when you post someone else's work, but I didn't submit it.

JimG Level 8 Oct 2, 2018

I tend to reference. Force of habit.

You didn't reference where you heard, force of habit, from. ?

@Anonbene is it Shakespeare? Most things are.

As a listener I verify and authenticate to ensure accuracy.
Repeating or sharing knowledge is fine.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:191588
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.