Agnostic.com

18 4

Anyone ever have a DNA ancestry test?

If you’ve ever had one done, have you learned anything different about your genetic history from DNA test?

I am curious about it. My mother’s brother had one done so I know my mom’s side. Curious about my dad’s side though.

What about you?

MyLiege 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I did the ancestry one a few years back. I wanted to see if I could find out anything about my father, whom I had never known. I am 100% European and 43% Jewish. So...my father was Jewish. Mom had told me he was Italian. He had to have come from Poland, Ukraine or the like. Although I have a world of Jewish matches, There has not yet been anyone who knows who he was. Both my daughter and granddaughter did ancestry and we show up as appropriate matches.
My daughter got everyone in the family 23&me kits for xmas (they were on sale). Have not gotten results yet.
Of course I trust DNA because...science.

My paternal uncle had it done and part of it said that he is 4% Neanderthal.

I've been wanting to do one but came across this recently. Still would like one done for funs but... [gizmodo.com]

Yes, strange and somewhat disappointing results, some of my ancestry seems to originate in the Faroe Islands where they have a dolphin and whale killing festival which I have been opposing by supporting Sea Shepherd for years. It is so offensive.

I've thought about it, but I haven't followed through yet.

I think DNA ancestry tests are just an arm of the government to collect each and every one's DNA for purposes yet to be revealed. Similar to your fingerprint used to unlock your phone. Beware.

Ooh I really wanno do that. I'm mainly British isles with some French and Indian.

Yes. It was interesting. I could almost trace my families First, I am almost 4.0 percent Neanderthal (a conservative female formercolleague says that my Neanderthal percentage is muchhigher). Next a have a trace of both Black and Pima or Aztec Indian DNA. Then about 1.o percent southern European, probably Spanish. Then comes about 20 percent German, and about 40 percent English-Scottish-Irish. The rest is a broad European pool. Know that my paternal family came from Germany around 1750, and my mother's family came from Switzerland around 1730. The English=Scotch-Irish came from marriages in the southern colonies and states.

The question is where did those traces of Black and Indian come from? The amount of those DNA traces indicates that it occurred somewhere around the 1500s or early 1600s. It is most likely that in maternal grandmothers lineage, there was a Spanish solder or settler who had a child with an Aztec or Pima Indian, Then, later, that Spanish branch was sent to Jamaica. The Black trace is similar to that of many Blacks who came through Jamaica.

Try it! It is worth the trip!

My mother was adopted but her birth mother was known and allegedly we are descended from gypsies. Stories differ as to her father was with the choices being a full blooded popogo native or a white man. My mother had straight, thick coal black hair so I always assumed the native.

I was unhappy to hear about being gypsy for years and recently started researching and discovered that black hair is not uncommon.

My father said we were Scottish and that his aunt had researched it back several hundred years but I was not old enough to care about it. He died when I was 30. Years later I was forced to admit that my father had lied about a lot of things (such as the babysitter being pregnant by him the same time my mother was pregnant with my brother) and now I question everything he told me.

I should have my results back any day and if I'm lucky, my sibling will be there

They arent accurate, they sell your data, and 23andme is connected to the LDS church just to make it even creepier.

If you or a relative does it you will spend the rest of your life hoping that you are not falsely accused of a crime. DNA testing is nowhere near 100% accurate as shown on TV, pretty much anyone in a family will show up as a match. So if you use 23andme and one day someone in your family leaves evidence behind there is a big chance the police will come knocking at your door. Added to this since most people live close to their relatives you will equally be a suspect.

If I were a theist I would pray for all the people who are going to be falsely arrested because of 23andme but I am not.

I thought DNA matching was expressed in %ages of probability being the same person.

That is worrying that your information is not secure and also shared.

@Donotbelieve here is a copy of their transparency report detailing how many LE requests they have had:

[23andme.com]

here is a pretty decent article about dna of relatives being used to obtain false convictions:

[wired.com]

I am having trouble finding a good source about the LDS church connection. Kindly remind me later to dig it up.

@Treasurehunter it is and that is the issue. Say they can make a claim that the odds of it being wrong are 1 in a billion. That is pretty impressive until it occurs to you that you have a brother who lives close by and there are 7.2 billion on earth. Probability is a hard thing to understand, imagine arguing with a person waving around a giant metal pole in an empty field while it is raining and him saying "its ok you are more likely to win the lottery compared to being hit by lightening". While it is technically true what that person is doing is very freaken dumb.

So yes those dna match tests are super accurate but the underlying problem remains: people tend to live geographically very close to their relatives. Its not your dna is being compared to everyone on earth it is being compared to only a small group of people who live where you live, saying 1 out of billion means is only accurate if you look at humanity as a whole.

I have actually had three. First one showed the majority of my DNA came from Scandinavia. It also implied that my father wasn't my birth father since my sister's was so much different from mine. Second one was to see if I had Neanderthal DNA because the first one didn't show that. Third one was a sibling test to compare mine and my sister's DNA. We're definitely sisters.

The two commercial ones I used were My Heritage and 23andme. 23and me shows the Neanderthal connection. My sister used Ancestory. We also are registered at [gedmatch.com] . It has interesting information.

Never had one on myself, but I had one on my dog. I found out that my very mellow border-collie mix isn't mostly border collie, but rather bulldog. It didn't specify English or American, but either way, it would account for her stubborn streak.

I got us one for Christmas, waiting on results.

Yes. Both Ancestry and 23andMe. The biggest surprise to me was it was exactly what my parents told me.

Ancestry is better if you are trying to research your family tree. 23andMe is better if you want to know more details about genetic predispositions to disease.

Bucket list not a top priority

It's just lies and it's meaningless.

I'm not sure if you are joking... It is neither lies nor meaningless. Why do you think that?

@Donotbelieve going to seek DANA in a country like US is a waste of time,and I tried these so called online samples,they gave me those segments that said part of me is European, none of my descendants ever lived outside Africa.

No. Surely we are descended from Adam and Eve? I'm sure I read that somewhere 😉

My youngest son did the 23 and Me thing a few months ago. But, he never got the results. I'm guessing he's an alien.

Duke Level 8 Jan 29, 2018

Immaculate conception perhaps?

@jlynn37 LOL! I'm pretty sure I remember how that happened.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19312
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.