Agnostic.com

46 12

Has your disbelief ever stained your reputation?

The A words-- Atheist, Agnostic, A-hole. Okay, just kidding. Only the first two... has being non-religious ever "stained your reputation?" Or, otherwise ruined how people view you?

silvereyes 8 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If they don't like me I don't need them

On the contrary. It embellished it.

Damn right

I have one old friend IRL that is a real holy roller, he unfriended me on Facebook because of the things I post.

His delusion level: High. (Part of his e-mail address is Truth Finder. lol)

I now live in a college town, so most people talk about religion with curiosity and openness, if at all. For my family, back home -- yes, it affects what they do and don't talk with me about. I guess out of respect. And it worries my mom and grandmother. Their choice to worry though. I do find it interesting -- the beliefs we all hold that help us through this strange world. No issues with religion -- only with when it is used to demean others or withhold civil rights or decency.

A couple of times with family and former friends.

Most of the people who really care about me don't mind that I'm an atheist. Once when dining out with a couple of family members, I remarked that I am not a Christian. They fell silent for a moment, but the conversation quickly resumed and didn't criticize or try to change me. On a number of occasions, I've encountered disapproval here and there, but it hasn't caused any serious harm in my life.

@Jello_vero Yes, it is. And perhaps I'm taking their apparent lack of disapproval a bit too much at face value. I guess it's a situation where we get along by just seldom bringing the subject up.

I get what you’re asking, but these words partially describe me. They don’t strain my reputation, they are part of it.

I wouldn't say that, but I do have relatives that say "I know he was raised better than that", and church members that have said to my friends "I don't know how such a good young man got sucked up by the world".

on the contrary, it strengthened my reputation as a rebel.

Only in the eyes and minds of the convoluted. Which equals I do not care what people think of such twisted morals as religion has to dictate. For they follow the path of lies mapped out in a book of such deception as the bible that not even Dante`s inferno can pareal in the depravity.

The concept of God is beyond human imagination. Art and Science are free of religious organization.

I lost a few "friends" in school, but we were never close to begin with. All the people who know I'm an atheist don't care, but I haven't told most of my family yet. Most probably wouldn't care, but they could tell the few who would make a big deal of it. I don't usually mention it unless it comes up though.

I lost a few "friends" in school, but we were never close to begin with. All the people who know I'm an atheist don't care, but I haven't told most of my family yet. Most probably wouldn't care, but they could tell the few who would make a big deal of it. I don't usually mention it unless it comes up though.

It might, but I don't practice atheistic evangelism. Politically though, I don't accept nonsense and it has better defined who my friends are.

jeffy Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

I live in a small town a little over 500 people in Missouri. All Christians here. They know I am a Atheist. We all get along and respect each other.

Not yet...that I know of.

After my involvement with a church, I'm sure certain heads would explode if they found out. Like, full-on crisis of confidence moral dilemma time.

Not that the other person showed on their face or mentioned verbally.

If it has, it's not to my knowledge.

Yes, but a little bleach and some mild detergent removed the stain. Accidents do happen.

I'm sure it has, but likely only with close minded folks who have a superiority complex.

I don't wear my disbelief on my sleeve like the religious folks do. I have told the JW's and Mormons that knock on my door that I don't believe what they do and quietly shut the door.

As far as I know, no.

Nope! Everyone still thinks Im awesome and amazing 😉

Sacha Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

No. I don't make it my greeting; others don't use theirs as a pick axe.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19340
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.