Agnostic.com

46 12

Has your disbelief ever stained your reputation?

The A words-- Atheist, Agnostic, A-hole. Okay, just kidding. Only the first two... has being non-religious ever "stained your reputation?" Or, otherwise ruined how people view you?

silvereyes 8 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As far as I know, no.

No. I don't make it my greeting; others don't use theirs as a pick axe.

I learned a long time ago that it's a waste of time and energy to worry about what others think of me. I am reasonably comfortable with who I am and if others wish to judge me negatively without getting to know me I cannot change that. If people view me negatively because of who I am, then that's on their sorry judgemental asses. Those who know and accept me are the ones that matter. Everybody else can go to hell.

In other words, I'm pretty sure that there are people who think poorly of me because I am atheist. I can also be an a-hole sometimes (it's a skill that took me quite some time to learn!! lol) Do I care what those people think? No, not particularly.

You probably all live in the US where there are genuinely religious people but over in the UK where basically no one admits to being religious we are subject to a far worse tyranny where instead of worshiping a god they worship the state. I wish I was kidding but they hail the health service as some kind of giver of all and they foolishly relish the idea that they are saving people with it when really its corrupt to the point that whistleblowers have been fired and made homeless to silence them.

My old Xtian friends I left, think I've lost my mind.

It's probably slowly doing that right now, but not terribly much yet.

I gonna have to call a "lifeline" on this one.

My disbelief I do not share with others here. Nor do people seem to care what I believe. My actions, I trust, are enough.

Yup, without a doubt. I could give miles of examples, but none of them matter to me or the people I associate with.

Please feel free to take that as a "NO".

Yeah a little. People look at me like I’m lost or something or act like I can’t be that good of a person. Oh well. Shame they’re afraid to make a good friend. ¯_(?)_/¯

Not yet... I'm really not out there yet..

Not the first two but definitely the last one especially when I start talking about immigration and the problems with misguided charity programs. Luckily, I have developed a tough hide.

Quite the opposite - if I professed a faith where I work then my colleagues would think I had lost the plot 😉

If they don't like me I don't need them

Damn right

I have one old friend IRL that is a real holy roller, he unfriended me on Facebook because of the things I post.

His delusion level: High. (Part of his e-mail address is Truth Finder. lol)

I now live in a college town, so most people talk about religion with curiosity and openness, if at all. For my family, back home -- yes, it affects what they do and don't talk with me about. I guess out of respect. And it worries my mom and grandmother. Their choice to worry though. I do find it interesting -- the beliefs we all hold that help us through this strange world. No issues with religion -- only with when it is used to demean others or withhold civil rights or decency.

The concept of God is beyond human imagination. Art and Science are free of religious organization.

I lost a few "friends" in school, but we were never close to begin with. All the people who know I'm an atheist don't care, but I haven't told most of my family yet. Most probably wouldn't care, but they could tell the few who would make a big deal of it. I don't usually mention it unless it comes up though.

I lost a few "friends" in school, but we were never close to begin with. All the people who know I'm an atheist don't care, but I haven't told most of my family yet. Most probably wouldn't care, but they could tell the few who would make a big deal of it. I don't usually mention it unless it comes up though.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19340
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.