Agnostic.com

17 1

Is it better to live a fulfilling life of virtue or to pursue only happiness and pleasure?

Is it better to understand the world around you and to seek to be the good in the world or simply to find your own version of reality that suits keeping yourself and other happy?

• 9 votes
  • 5 votes
Gabriel 4 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Once I read that the Dali Lama was asked about our purpose in life. He responded that our purpose in life is to be happy, and to serve others. I try to follow this advice. I am grateful and I work at helping others, especially the homeless. I am working also at not getting angry or upset about things I cannot control. I'm not sure what virtue means. Think happy...it works.

They aren't mutually exclusive, but being happy and feeling fulfilled is paramount, if you want the motivation to keep on living.

I don't think its an either or question they are all helpful options and to enjoy a full life exploring all options is helpful I think if you look out for new experiences of any kind and consider the impact on yourself you may get a sense of what it is you want more of and what it is you want less of. You don't have to linit yourself you are allowed to have anything that is on offer.

My first thought was, can you do with? But then critical thinking kicked in and if you are doing virtue and fulfillment as you define it, then you probably have happiness and pleasure. It also seem that chasing happiness and pleasure are things and moving targets. Once achieved you what more or different, but virtue and fulfillment are more of a process, a way of life.

They need not be mutually exclusive.

Why does one negate the other? Suppose making others happy makes you extremely happy!

They are both fine, as long as you don't hurt anyone along the way. There's nothing wrong with happiness and pleasure. Of course virtue can bring happiness too. I'm never happier than when I'm helping someone else (most of the time).

everything is done for happiness and pleasure...some times 'your happiness and pleasure' is just what will make you less miserable.

So can we be fulfilled with the virtues of happiness and pleasure or do we have to choose? Seems kind of arbitrary.

depends who for

I don't believe this is an "either'/or" proposition. It's completely possible, and reasonable, to do both. Actually, I think it's far more healthy to do both. A "good" life is supposed to be about balance. Besides, all four of those words are subjective, and conceivably mean different things to different people.

Most people reflect happiness in their virtue. They are able to lead because of their honor. Loving and being responsible and compassionate.

You ever seen anyone happy when talking about their virtue? I have not. I see serious faces, poker faces. And then again... I know very little of virtue. Pleasure, happiness... yeah book can be written.

@GipsyOfNewSpain. People with virtue are ones that are told they have it. They are happy already.

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time" Enjoy-Pleasure-Happy works well...virtue could be suffering and unhappiness.

Hedonism ceases bring happiness with time.

Living a life of only pleasure becomes empty and hollow and what happiness there was disappears. One has to achieve something of value to achieve real happiness.

There are enough pleasures to last a whole lifetime so I am still discovering and discarding pleasures some because is not my lane. My life never been empty or hollow so I disagree. And to me the "holy ghost experience" is an orgasm where I cry tears to the delight of the lady that provoke them. That is a Virtuoso!!!! bro.

One thing is not more important than another. Everything in moderation.

I was denied austerity as a child. Lol!

What NerdyOkieDude said.

skado Level 9 Jan 29, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19429
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.