Agnostic.com

41 15

I was told by a Christian that atheist stay stressed cause they always doing research on everything. What do you think?

So there is a Christian girl that knows I’m an atheist. She spotted me at the library one time when I was doing research on all the different type of religions and their similarities and decided to bother me. She told me that atheist must stay stressed out with all the research we do. So I told her it’s a bad thing now to want to be educated and know what is real and what isn’t real? I mentioned to her that things must be stressful for her, considering her belief teaches eternal hellfire and her always needing to ask for forgiveness and always doing things just right if she doesn’t want to go to Hell. Her life must be stressful to think everyone around her is going to Hell all the time. I told her that there was nothing wrong with learning and wanting to be educated. That’s what the human brain is for. It’s not my fault she doesn’t care about her mental health and refuse to bother to educate herself by feeding her brain knowledge, yet just accept things on blind faith from a book written by Bronze Age people from thousands of years ago.

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have come to realise that life if full of secrets and lies. After all, if someone asks you a very personal question, you don't have to tell them the truth if you don't want or need to... I used to think that no scientist ever told a lie because they could prove things by demonstration, but now that we have the internet it has become apparent that some scientific demo's were just magic tricks in disguise, but most of us didn't have the knowledge to see it. To me, religion is a load of ancient nonsense that was written down thousands of years ago, Science might be a load of modern nonsense written down last century... take your pick..

I think you have a point, there is a platform now, that everyone can use to promote themselves and their thought process, and since no one starts out knowing a great deal, we must struggle through with millions of people at different stages of learning! Then there people who are hung up in one stage! It really taxes the senses trying to hold one's own mind and still try to understand where the other person is coming from!

Unlike religion, which tends to not only be unchanging but promotes that, science, even if it promotes an incorrect view, will tend to correct itself. Since to be valid science it must be falsifiable & peer reviewed B.S. will eventually be found out & corrected. Religion states that there can be nothing to correct, that, for instance, the bible is inerrant, therefore no new knowledge is needed or wanted.

It depends on why someone is doing research. Researching to prove an "answer" can be very stressful because the material found will likely support both sides to a degree. Using cognitive thinking in research searches for facts, and the culminate effect points to the "answer." One is human-driven;the other is fact-driven.

Doing research to educate myself about different things and to get familiar with different beliefs.

@EmeraldJewel go with fact-driven and keep what you trust and discard those you don't. You'll get a general idea. Good luck and have fun. Learning is fun

I don't know what makes you stressed, but I'm stressed that we're all spralling towards the great void of nonexistence, and even our best efforts can only slow the fall. Then I remember that stress is damaging to my health and stess out even more. Then I have a panic attack. So fun.

"great void of nonexistence"! I have no idea what is near at hand- and Nature, if it is cognitive, has never sent a messenger to tell us.

Well, yes, we all eventually "spiral towards...nonexistence", & death is a bummer, but I surely won't stress over it. It's like stressing over gravity because I can't fly (on my own).

Ignorance is far more stressful than knowing the truth. I’d rather think out a problem and find the best possible solution than wait for a non-existent deity to “show me the way” 😉

I've been researching and analyzing things most of my life. Never felt stressed, even when working to a tight deadline.

Some ppl with religious views are anxious about their doubt, always looking for validation and attacking anything that seems to produce positive results from a non theist approach (I.e. your researching).

those kind of people desire somebody to lead them because their brain is different than ours, people that think are always trying to understand new ideas and concepts.

dc65 Level 7 Jan 29, 2018

I am in no way stressed by researching to find answers, and I am constantly driven to learn new things, been that way all my life. Religion is the easy way out: heaven/hell, good/evil, and when you should be concerned with finding the truth or mending what's torn, you just say "leave it up to god and everything will be fine." It also helps, if you are poor, to send money to the millionaire that preaches to you so he can pass your tribulations on to god for you in the style to which he is accustomed.

I've been on both sides. My ignorance as a Christian was short lived. I couldn't take the constant hypocrisy all around me.
Learning about different religions, cultures, etc. takes away some of the stress. I always try to see things from both sides, and I'm sad she was taught that ignorance is bliss. Honestly I remember being told how great it was that I was close minded and not into secular things at all. Christianity and other religions, in my opinion, often push people to be that way because it's easier to control the masses that way.

Some people don't find the search for knowledge stressful. Some of us actually find learning stuff fun. Weird, huh.

I have siblings who suffer from more forms of Catholic guilt and worry than I could possibly survive. They also use their 'faith' to escape responsibility regarding the awful mess we are making of the planet, saying things like 'It's in god's hands'. I ask why they don't care about the future for their grandchildren and they actually believe it'll all be fine cuz the magic man in the sky will fix it. Totally baffling to me. I prefer reality and science.

As opposed to worrying about everything, every thought, every action because you might burn in hell for eternity!? ROFLMAO!

I personally don't engage in these sort of conversations, as they always lead to the same end , and its rarely pretty. I just make an excuse and get off as there is nothing to be gained by a -lose /lose head banging conversation, on either side.

I simply have no deities. Nothing to research, I just don't believe. No stress. I'm not out to convince anyone of anything, it's a free country believe, or don't, I don't care. Next time you see Kitten, tell her to talk to a few more people.

EmeraldJewel, Gosh does it hurt when you exercise that brain organ so much? I can watch Ken Ham without having to risk brain strain all day, I don't even have to think. Greg Hovand is nice also, he tells me what to think all the time. If I am afraid that my brain is too stressed, then I watch Dennis Prager, there is always a nice numbing sensation that qucikly follows.

Ugh I can’t stand Ken Ham! I just want to slap his ugly old face every time I see him on tv for being so deluded and trying to poison the minds of young children with his lie fest of a creationist museum.

Research relaxes me. I need a job as a researcher.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.