Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fuck yeah! It's the only holiday worth celebrating.

Damn, this post broke my level 6 cherry.. Wasn't even paying attention.

@FatherOfNyx Congratulations!!!!

@FatherOfNyx Well now you're going to walk funny. rofl

Congrats!

@RavenCT I expected @KKGator to say that!

@phxbillcee You know, sometimes I like to leave the lines for other people.
I know I'm not the only smartass in the room.
Besides, the Gator game was on and I was distracted.
Bite me. 😉

@KKGator Mark out a spot, baby!

@FatherOfNyx Good for you. I finally level 7 last Thursday.

@freedom41 Congratulations to you, too!

@freedom41 Cool! Congrats.

@phxbillcee Sometimes a line MUST be picked up. It would have been criminal to step over that one.

Hell yes! I guess you haven't seen my group..."I Love Halloween!" Group

No, I haven't seen your group.

If you're into it, click on the link. 😀

@CaroleKay I might try it in the near future.

@CaroleKay I want to get into it I really do. It seems like so much fun!

@SukiSue It's so fun. Our favorite Holiday!

You do you! I've been an atheist my whole life and I still go all in for christmas and halloween. I don't like easter traditions so I don't bother with them (although i've entertained the idea of a treat hunt for the dogs). Holidays are whatever you make them. If you want to ignore it, that's awesome too.

I like Easter based on the old meanings. Life and rebirth. I love Spring.

@Angielove I live in Florida. We don't have seasons.

@klang72 I can see how Easter wouldn't appeal to you. Florida is also beautiful. I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for 6 months. Those Summer months ran me back up north though.

@Angielove Well that's very kind of you to say. Florida can be beautiful in the same way the flames that dance over a dumpster on fire might. Personal opinion.

Hahahaha!!! It’s just like Matt Dilahunty said,” Don’t think you’re wrong for wanting to have fun just because someone tried to take that fun and slap their Jesus all over it.” All holidays should just be a way in life so live to the fullest!!!

Isn’t Halloween another holiday that that religion tried to steal from pagans? I celebrate the original intent.

I think your right that the religious fools took it for there own.

Well, I think it would be more accurate to say one religion stole it from another religion.

See my comment above

Most would as most celebrate Christmas too, or at least the giving or exchanging presents.

That is what Christmas should be for. Along with spending time with family. I wish we could rename that day. It would really piss off the christains.

the real thing about holidays is for family to get together

@benhmiller Yes, I believe it too, however it is also very sad for those who do not have any family or who are not in touch with them.

There is nothing wrong with an atheist observing Halloween or even Christmas for that matter. They have morphed from religious holidays into folk festivals. Ask any little kid what Easter, Christmas, and Halloween are about and they will tell you, "the Easter Bunny and candy, Santa Claus and presents, and wearing a costume and candy. No need for an atheist to be anal about such folk festivals.

Not to mention most Christian holidays were adapted from pagan rituals/celevrations ?

My family never done the religious thing sometimes they played before eating I did no care for that but played along so i can eat.

nothing ruins a holiday faster then going and sitting in a church with clean nice clothes on when you are a child.

I can read Tolkein without believing in elves. I can watch Doctor Who without believing that time is a ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey... stuff. Why do I have to believe in ghosts and vampires to celebrate Halloween?

You mean time isn't a ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey? I'm devastated!

@CommonHuman I second that. My two hearts are breaking!

What! No vampires! I'm bummed!

Actually, Halloween, or All Hallows Eve, began well before xtianity...
[en.wikipedia.org]

& I love Halloween, btw!

Yes, it sure did.

Scary movies - costumes - dressing up - fun for adults and kids, candy and decorations with choice as to whether you opt in or out. What's not to like?

It's just engaging your creativity not your belief system.

The only part that was religious (when I was forced to attend Mass) - was All Souls Day - November 1st - you went to a Catholic Mass on that Day.

Halloween has zero to do with Christian religion and a ton to do with old superstition and some Wiccan beliefs. (Pagan Beliefs - etc.).

I'm good with all of that. I hope I never get too stuffy for it.

I didn't stick around long to observe the catholic holiday that you named and I'm glad I didn't. It's more important to enlightened than brain washed.

@freedom41 My family was Roman Catholic. I can't argue that they thought that's where you got morals from. I could explain it to them now - but at that time that was common thinking.

I won't be angry about that. But the time spent in Church would have been better spent on more Sci Fi or something? lol Maybe some HP Lovecraft.

It's a well known atheistic ritual founded on our "Faith" of Evolution.. it's the best season and astrological day to eat all of the babies.. yes pumpkin spiced babies.. deliciousness.. #sarcasm..

Mmmmm. Pumpkin spice bebes. Yum!

@OpposingOpposum MMMMMMMmmmmmmmm......reminds me that I had my first piece of (seasonal) pumpkin cheesecake (this year) at The Cheesecake Factory a few days back. Soooooooo good!!!

I observe it by turning off all the lights and hiding in the back.

I only had one or two kids stop at my house anyway and I can't have candy in my house. Buying candy for the few people that would stop by makes no sense, so I just pretend I'm not there.

I can take it or leave it.
Costume parties used to be a lot of fun.
Now, it's mostly just for the kids. Like christmas.

agreed

Sure, it's fun. I like Christmas lights and l will eat an Easter egg. The things l enjoy on these holidays have nothing to do with religion.

xmas is about family getting to together the same with thanksgiving and Easter. The Christmas time was taken from the pagans we all know know about winter solstice.

Hell yes! Let's egg another church!

godef Level 7 Oct 6, 2018

So, pretend to be someone you’re not and potentially scare the shit out of someone? Why the fuck not??

Plus candy!

Halloween isn't a Christian celebration. You van be an anti theist and still be religious. You can worship nature.

It's been a logn time sine Halloween has any kind of religious context , even if its originas may have originally been religious and/or superstitious. Now it is just fun and games.

So dress up, and do the Time Warp...

It's just a jump to the left...

I celebrate the holidays, just not the meaning of the holidays.

I was going to say the same.

Hell, I love Christmas.

godef Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

Only for the costumes!

Not a fan but it doesn't have to be a religious or superstitious holiday. It also doesn't have to be diabetic inducing. It can just be a good excuse to dress up like a slutty or scary whatever. Raise your freak flag.

How can you ignore free candy?

It's psychologically useful for people to get outside of themselves every once in a while.

When I was a kid, halloween wasn't observed in my country. But american consumerism wasn't going to allow an untapped market so some years back we started adopting it. When my kids were little it was fun to see their delight. I have no interest in it now.

True, it was the same in England. We just had mischievous night !

It's an excuse to get drunk, eat bad shit and dress silly. Why the hell wouldn't we summon demons once a year?

Right on!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.