Agnostic.com

135 5

Do atheists observe Halloween?

Since, most don't believe in ghosts and other silly stuff that goes along with the holiday. Do we still observe some of it for the children. I rather ignore it like the rest of the religious holidays.

freedom41 9 Oct 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

135 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's about having fun, costumes snd candy. Best to my knowledge, none of those things are in conflict with lack of beliefs

It’s not really a holiday it’s just a dress up day, it’s all in jest and doesn’t mean anything and a great reason to dress up and flirt.

I have no problem handing out candy. Halloween is so distorted from it's roots it basically like Valentine's Day or Sweetest Day imo

It's my favorite holiday!

American Wiccans do consider Samhain (Halloween) a religious holiday. The story is that it is the day on which the veil between the living and dead is the most permeable. It's sort of the same as Dia de los Muertos in that food is put out for dead relatives, except in Dia de los Muertos it's on November 1 for spirits of children and November 2 for spirits of adults. (By the way, it's pronounced sow-wen.)

Halloween isn't a religious holiday.

CM86 Level 1 Oct 22, 2018

It is my favorite holiday. I love the thought of scary things even though I do not believe in any of it.

Just another holiday to me. A way to take time out of mundane life and just have some fun, kick back, maybe have a Halloween party, order some pizzas and put in some scary movies while having friends or family over.

Maybe even dress up as your most desired fantasy creature and go to a haunted house and have some fun.

It can be fun but I mostly ignore it too.

Not this one. Or xmas.

You're 7 yrs old and all year long your parents tell you "Don't eat that!" "That's not good for you!" Given the opportunity to procure a large bag/bucket of candy? You bet your ass!

I use to boycott holidays when I first became an atheist, but then I realized I'm not going to let someone else's delusion or POV dictate how I live and enjoy life.

Kids may say if I step on a crack, I break my mother's back. That doesn't mean I spend the rest of my life intentionally watching every step I take b/c of some absurd belief. If you want to boycott...go ahead. If you want to participate and enjoy them for the secular holidays they have become...then I also say go ahead.

I love it ! being without a god doesn't mean being without fun I have laughed myself silly over all the pictures here of halloween. in Burnley lancashire there is the day of 'the nutters ' a local tradition and in Padstow there is a Mayday celebration with a hobby horse and people singing the may song through the small streets- people make fun thats what we do, being irreligious I wouldn t know but i have had a few goes at reading the bible and it wasn't fun or informative fun is medicinal!

We aren't a monolith. Some do and some don't.

When I was a kid, halloween wasn't observed in my country. But american consumerism wasn't going to allow an untapped market so some years back we started adopting it. When my kids were little it was fun to see their delight. I have no interest in it now.

True, it was the same in England. We just had mischievous night !

I don't care for it much now other than that it's in the fall and the fall is my favorite season. I like the movies on tv during October because of Halloween. I used to like it as a kid because of candy and chocolate. I went to an adult Halloween party a few years ago as the Gingerbread Man. Other than that, I don't care much. It can be fun though.

Hell !
Free candy

It has no real historical history behind it. I see it as a way for people to make some good money with seasonal stores.

Halloween has always been my favorite holiday and I will always celebrate it. But just like any other holiday I respect others choices in observing/not observing holidays.

Don't think it is a religious holiday.

zesty Level 7 Oct 7, 2018

Just celebrate the first full moon after the autumnal equinox.

Well, if I manage to get done an Alice Cooper style make up it'll be a happy Halloween for me.

Oh hell yeah! Best holiday of the year!

I love all holidays. It's a reason party, socialize and take time off work and school.
Halloween is about mostly candy and fun. I love it

Did you know that believing in Christianity is the gateway to the occult? I like the candy. I even like candy corn. Why is there candy corn? Sounds like it wouldn’t be very good. I think it’s good because it’s not actually candied corn. Someone was paying attention.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:195160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.