• 9 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 2 votes
#Flu
Akfishlady 8 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How bout just, nah. Don't feel like getting up. Plus, my immune system is strong.

Been without it since my military days were over. First thing I say No to when walking into a VA Medical facility. My immunity system has not been compromised. If anything enhanced. When in spain, whole family got chicken pox... except me. no vaccine, just poor stubborn me that didn't had it as a child either. You guys go ahead... Free Will. vaccines are like sex, not for everybody and not everybody needs it.

@GipsyOfNewSpain isn't pox in kids shingles in adults. ? I had only 2 blisters as a child and 2 blisters same area on my face as adult. .. military injections are massive. ..makes a great big bubble in your butt then we March for miles until the bubble smoothes out

@GreenAtheist My wife had pox not shingles and destroyed her face for a few months.... And took years for last sign to be gone... talking early 90's, I never heard of shingles until the other day... trying to get you vaccinated or whatever for the damn thing... Big Pharma can continue Kissing my Latino Ass. I hated those 6 month deployments because will pump us up. I remember Navy Boot Camp they gave us the most painful shot the day before qualifying as a swimmer in the pool. You can be out of the Navy if you can not float for 5 minutes on water. You couldn't raise your fucking arm. They did it on purpose. We survived the damn maiming shot. Military service is a trip but I loved my 20 years.

@GipsyOfNewSpain carry on sailor Larry Carter Center PNSA '71'73 FITRON 126 NAS MIRAMAR

@GreenAtheist Miramar eh? Yeah all my communications training was in NTC San Diego... My ex wife told her doctor that I got her pregnant in the pool of our Point Loma apartment. Great memories of San Diego.

@GipsyOfNewSpain sand crabs own alnost all of NTC & NAS only the hangars air strip & barracks belong to the USMC for helos & harriers

@GreenAtheist Wow... I grew up walking distance from a Navy base in San Juan. No longer there... Roosevelt Roads... Gone... so I reckon Sabana Seca must be gone... No more Puerto Rican stationed at home. Those NTC buildings were old WW2 barracks. Next to the Sub Base opposite side was the Navy Bootcamp and then Marine Bootcamp. Nice neighborhood Point Loma. Even the uniform changed. San Diego was big time with all those bases.... Carrier base... what was the surface base? 32nd street? ...and you have the amphib too. San Diego was the Hub in the west coast.

@GipsyOfNewSpain I only drove by NTC SSC to report the gate Jon Voight chained himself to is gone and a strip mall there EM CLUB gone same with Miramar north campus no longer behind government fence Navy Exchange building is a sand crab department store

I still don't understand why people still think they cause mor illness

Some, as I have a reaction to the flu shot (I have a slight reaction to eggs). After several bouts I finally put 2 and 2 together and realized it was the vaccine. But that's just me and it should be taken by others.

I get one every year, but i can't say that I don't have any concerns. The last time I had the flu, it was really bad, and , knock on wood, I haven't gotten it again since I started getting the shots ?

Neither have I. Yay!!!

I get one every year. I have no idea if it does anything but, the company I work for pays for it so...

Duke Level 8 Jan 30, 2018

So does mine! 🙂

I love my immune system and it loves me, I just don't get the fully blown flu, if people at work have it I may get a tickle at the back of my throat or a slightly blocked nose for a couple of hours, touch wood, I have not had anything any worse this century. Flu shots are essential for frail and those with compromised immune systems but they are not any guarantee.

They are harmless when they don't work and priceless when they do.

I was a bit reckless in a conversation with my M.D. a few years ago during an annual wellness visit and wasn't concerned about getting an influenza vaccination. She simply said, "People die from the flu." Enough said.

Absolutely!

When one is not vaccinated, one has a higher chance of passing the flu to the very very vulnerable in our society.

Also, many people do not realize the flu kills many people every year - being dead and not there for one’s kids and grandkids surely cannot be better to one’s getting a vaccination.

I am a huge proponent. I get one every year.

the government don't give a flying fuck about the individual but they do care about you costing them money. as the flu jab is free for me as I'm asthmatic I have it. the same reason I wear crash helmets and seat belts.

I got my first one last year when I was pregnant and I got one this year cause I don't want my daughter to get sick- the hospital in my town isent equipped to take care of her so they get flown to Vegas- and I would do anything to keep her safe and healthy I also got her her shots- I don't get why ppl expect things to be a 100% and nothing in life is 100%

I get a flu shot every year. I'm particularly glad I got mine in November.
I usually also get the pneumonia vaccine, too. I've had pneumonia. I never
want to get it again.

Well, full disclosure on my "Absolutely" vote: not this year. Bad timing, including two colds, delayed my getting the shot so I haven't, but I've had them every other year. Plus, I've had pneumonia twice so I keep my pneumonia vaccine up-to-date.

I have a compromised immune system, so vaccines make me sick. Unless I absolutely have to have it, I decline, but wish I didn't have to.

LizL Level 5 Jan 30, 2018

2 years ago ‘now’ it felt like my deathbed with the flu.. I’d got the shot, as usual, which, like this year, was not very effective against one strain (H1N1 I believe). I’d just began to recover - then instantly was hit again with the same intensity … around 3 weeks down.. I’ve skipped it the last year and ‘this,’ as I’m no longer working in schools, but will get one next October...

Varn Level 8 Jan 30, 2018

I had mine this year. Still got the flu. But, I had a really mild case of the flu and I think the flu shot helped in that regard.

No flu for years - I like that

jeffy Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

I got my flu shot last year because I started a new job and therefore a new pool of germs. And most of my coworkers have school aged kids. I got my flu shot this year because they relocated our office to another building and I'm working among more people in a more open environment. Next year, maybe I will be brave enough to skip the flu shot. However, so far I've been well. I work disability claims and I've worked a few that people have been sick enough to qualify for short term disability, which means you're out of work for usually more than a week.

My answer is no. For me only. I have autoimmune and nervous system conditions. My body doesn't react to vaccines they way it's supposed to.

Every year I get my flu shot and while this year I still got something my doctor said was the flu, was nothing more than a mild headache and dry throat. In fact the VA makes flu shots easy with drive up flu clinics and they will inoculate the entire household. My room mate who helps me take care of my elderly mother, my elderly mother who hates needles and me. We roll up, stick our arms out the window and before my mom can fret and worry about it, it's over and we're on our way to get her a donut. Easy peasy.

The choices in this poll are inherently flawed.

smox Level 4 May 7, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19545
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.