Agnostic.com

21 1

Do you miss the social aspect of church?

I have been wrestling with this issue for some time. I was involved in the christian church for many years. Even in the times when I had serious doubts about the whole thing. I believe one of the reasons I was clinging to it was due to the fact of the social aspect. With being on the outside of the church, I sometimes miss being involved with others.
Does anyone ever miss being involved with others in the church and feeling like you are a part of something bigger?
What are your thoughts?
The reason I joined this forum was to make a connection with others of like mind, but I still feel a need to have a physical connection with a group of people.

MissingLink16 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

21 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't, but I was "lucky" to have been raised in Catholicism. I can't speak to all Catholic churches, but where I grew up, social activities were not part of the equation, with the exception of the annual church festival, which was more of a fundraiser than a fun time.

I think the most appropriate quote is from Kevin Smith's "Dogma:" "Catholics don't celebrate their religion, they mourn it."

As I came out of a church that was total in or total out. They shun, so it was traumatic for a time. At the same time it was a huge weight off my shoulders.

gearl Level 8 Jan 30, 2018

I suspect I might, had I attended.. Instead, I’ve joined various civic organizations. We’ll meet, make & plant trees, build trails, monitor nature, display alternative energy sources, show ecology minded thought provoking movies, ‘walk/ knock and drop’ campaign literature or pick up litter… And though no one speaks of church, we’re aware of each other's families, jobs, hobbies and health. It does not have to revolve around religion 🙂

Varn Level 8 Jan 30, 2018

No. Not one bit.

Nope. Everyone was lovely, but I felt the connections were shallow and that grated on me.

I'm weird about socializing anyway. I'd prefer one deep soul-to-soul connection to a hundred acquaintances. I'm an introvert, so socializing for me is a costly investment; because I'm a weird loner the return is low.

I don't miss it. It wasn't particularly social for me, but more of a duty. My parents were pretty much loners and didn't socialize at church. As a teen, I went to church with my friends, but we didn't get involved in church activities. My social life was, and is, family and friends outside of any venue like church.

No. I never got the "social" aspect of church. I really didn't care for the people that attended and I also did not like attending a Catholic school for boys. As a matter of fact that school started me on my transformation from a Catholic to an Atheist.

Yes. You could check out some alternatives. Sunday Assembly is kind of cool.

In a word, yes. But there are other communal outlets that can be explored if one feels the need.

I went to Sunday school as a little girl and I loved meeting the other kids, singing and the Halloween and Christmas festivities. But that was it.

I have a Center of Inquiry , less than 10 minute drive from me, I haven't been in a long time. They have fun once a month pot luck dinners. Other than that, the conversation are more on a serious note for me at this time in my life.

Do you have any Meet Up groups in your area? I have really enjoyed meeting new people and the various events/activities. I have made some nice new friends and we get together on own too.

ags2 Level 5 Feb 6, 2018

I don't know if there are any in my area. Not sure how to go about looking.

Go to Meetup.com, (it also has an app) and search for your city

Not at all, it was all fake.

JK666 Level 7 Jan 31, 2018

Not really. I didn't ever go except with my Granny. everyone she knew was older and very kind, and they never asked "you read the bible?" or "I'll pray for you" etc. when I went with my Dad growing up there was no social interaction afterward or during the week. we weren't even relgious in practice. it was simply to feed my stepmom's narrcisim and ego

Nope, I still go every Sunday. There is very little one can say to an atheist about what is not even believed. Also, not much other than a good question or two you can share with an agnostic about what he doesn't know. But, in church, once you are all through all the God stuff, there is reasonably good coffee with donuts and pretty good conversation most of the time. What would you choose?

Yes, the same way I miss the social aspects of college life, high school or the old neighborhood gang growing up. I worked in an airport for a while and a lot of us would go out socially in groups. There was a Thursday night poker I was in for a while. Now I play guitar and sing at open mics primarily for the social benefit of interacting and meeting other musicians and with the audience. Sing a couple songs and suddenly people start talking to you.

No, not really. The people I used to go to church with were assholes for no reason.

I used to attend occasionally just to keep my wife happy but she’s finally accepted my atheism and doesn’t pressure me to go with her anymore. Hell when I used to go with her a little I’d go to sleep during the Sermon.

No. They always bring up religion at church!

Yes, I miss some of the people terribly, but I can't in good conscience even enter a church

gater Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

@twshield I am an Atheist - however those were good people, and I miss the singing

No... I am old enough to go to a Club.

no its only pretend anyway.

Why don't you return for the social benefits you obviously enjoyed? I have been associated with several activities in various different churches, enjoyed my participation and do miss the social aspects they provided me. I never considered there being anything "bigger" and it was simply social and enjoyable. The nonsense was simply ignored.

You don’t feel that by participating in church related social activities you’re legitimizing their ‘nonsense?’ I’d not grace them with my presence ..and boycott their bullshit ~

I just started going to a Unitarian Universalist church the month. I feel comfortable in the sense that I don't have to "drink the kool-aid" of church dogma. You can be an agnostic and still feel welcome.

@Varn you do you and I do me. Live and let live.

@jlynn37 ...yah, I get that.. But it doesn't answer my question.

@Varn No I do not feel it legitimizes anything. I do not support the institution in any way. I just enjoy the social aspects that I have participated in. I have no done that in many years now.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19603
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.