Agnostic.com

2 0

Original posts and their OPs' user names (but not profiles, or any comments) visible in Google search. Feature or bug?

Are original-post pages meant to be visible to the greater Web? I can see this being useful in drawing new members to this wonderful community. But (1) some original posts are very personal, (2) some OPs use their real names, and maybe, just maybe, (3) the tinier thumbnail images used on the original-post pages could help identify, to nonmembers outside this site, an otherwise anonymous user. I didn't know that this could happen.

Out of pure narcissism -- I've been hoping to eventually drive down a more notable Josh Karpf's ranking in Google search results -- I did just a search on my Agnostic.com profile image (which I use on other sites) after logging off and wiping my browser cache.

In doing so I found that original posts, and the smaller thumbnail and the user name of their original poster, are readable as Google search results, although you can't still click through to the user profile or to the comments without logging on. (Screenshot attached below.) Still, the original post and poster's user name/smaller thumbnail ARE visible outside this site.

P.S. I tried this a few times, always searching on my own image, and got a second original-post page half the time: [agnostic.com]

josh_karpf 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Users can make their profile visible to members only (see account settings page)

Admin Level 8 Jan 30, 2018

@josh_karpf @dkp93 good point. I just changed the setting to include posts (e.g., you can hide your posts from non-members if you hide your profile from non-members). Note: this does not include comments and replies.

Uh oh! This could be problematic. I'm tagging @Admin to make sure they see this. Thanks, @josh_karpf! This is one time when narcissism was helpful! Lol

dkp93 Level 8 Jan 30, 2018
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19637
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.