Agnostic.com

27 8

Spirituality: Same nonsense by another name?

Am I the only one driven to distraction by that weird grab-bag of ideas lumped together under the heading of "spirituality?" Religion is easier to critique because of the weaknesses of its core ideas and the sketchy nature of many its institutions and followers. But spirituality? Its own adherents can't even clearly say what the heck it is. (Something to do with "purpose," "nature," and often, cheesy pictures of wolves ...) Many people will acknowledge my atheism, and then immediately insist that I must then be "spiritual." Anyone else experience this, and more to the point, is annoyed by it?

The-Krzyz 8 Oct 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

27 comments (26 - 27)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmm...you might be confusing "religion" with quantum physics.

Einstein taught us that all matter is a form of energy, so since energy can neither be created nor destroyed, we have always existed and will always exist in some energy form.

No reason to think energy souls or entities don't exist, and quantum physics already tells us different dimensions exist.

"For physicists, the distinction between past, present and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion." -Einstein

Two things... Our energy will still exist in the form of heat, but we will no longer be with it. It's more of a containment or proximity issue rather than anything else. Also, if other dimensions exist, and they more than likely do, our energy is from this dimension. Physicists would classify extradimensional energy transference as being "destroyed" (in as far as it was removed from the system, which, as you know is proven false by the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics; if we view the universe as a closed system, that is).

Not annoyed so much as confused. For example, I met one atheist who doesn't believe in God, but believes in ghosts but can't say exactly what these ghosts are or where they come from. Met another who doesn't believe in God, but believes we are descendants of aliens who colonized this planet. When I asked where these aliens came from I was told they came from "The Source" where all the energy of the Universe comes from. Used to think I understood atheism. Now I'm not so sure.

All atheism is a believing in zero gods.

arent buzz words fantastic and the matrix films

@xenoview But doesn't that mean that if you claim to be an atheist, but believe in something that is god-like, that you are not a true atheist and are deceiving yourself and/or others.

@Heraclitus
I don't believe in any gods.

@xenoview Wasn't referring to you personally, of course. Was referring to the OP.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:196508
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.