Agnostic.com

44 9

Were you the popular type in high school or more the keep to yourself type?

I guesss I can say I somewhat kept to myself, but I did have friends and was involved in activity, plus help raising my younger brother growing up. I hope I don’t sound too much like a loser. Hahaha!

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Pimple faced nerd with no confidence or social skills. Stuck to myself a lot.

I hung with the hippie crowd..it was awesome

Jealous, I was as close as our school came to having a hippie and was only because I surfed in Byron Bay OZ, and at that time that is where the hippies were, so a hippie crown of one.

I've always been a loner. I didn't understand then at school and tried to fit in. I hated school.

Painfully shy. Barely talked to anyone but a few friends. I think some may have thought I was stuck up, but no, just too afraid to speak. I don't know what happened to that girl but somewhere in my mid twenties the tables turned, and now you can't shut me up!! 🙂

Lol I was like that, too. People actually thought I could not talk. 8th grade for me was hell, though as everyone hated me and I was bullied.

@EmeraldJewel, I was lucky, no bullying.

you're slung with all these strangers and expected to get on with them. all my siblings were a good bit older than me and bullied me or told me to fuck off and then at school similar shit from teachers and kids. I've taught myself way more than anyone ever taught me and often the hard way.

I was a gymnast, so I got a bit of a social override from that, but actually a bit shy...

I was the loner in high school, I preferred it that way. I still am a loner for the most part.

Everyone likes my antisocial, nihilistic self. I don’t get it.

Dork, definitely not one of the cool guys, high points few, and as for popularity with the girls, well let's not go there. But even then I'd take religious kids on, even a Reverend Jonnie or two in debate. Guess the dye was cast.

No... I didn't fit in. My buddies and I became introverts. We had our own agenda. The ladies next door and growing up to quickly.... we were a mess...

My experience is similar to yours. Had some good times...but my oldest friend is from college. I have a lot of friends who have died.

classic nerd with math and science skills. Mostly kept to myself.

I grew up on a mission in Haiti, returning to the US every five years for one year. Our mission school was tiny..one or two kids per grade, and we did the CA Calvert Correspondence course.

We started school in Oct. and were done before Easter, only went to school for half a day, no homework, but had usually completed our course work by Christmas, so the missionaries, who had to have college degrees to be on that mission, would take turns teaching us their college courses. To their annoyance, we learned masters courses as quickly as anything else.

I didn't believe the courses were really college level until I started attending Asbury College and found I'd done the identical work, written papers on the same subjects while in middle school in Haiti. I didn't have to study for two years, since I'd already studied it all!

I did study anyway, though..couldn't stop reading all the books in the school library since books were precious in Haiti.

When I was fifteen, I attended Jessamine County high school in eastern KY, and was shocked at how silly it all was. The teachers liked to blather on about nothing, when everything we needed to know was already in the text books, insisting on keeping us all captive and boring us, then assigning us homework as we were leaving!
I thought they were all stupid.
Eventually, I gave up trying to learn anything and joined my fellow classmates in pinging people with a pea shooter when the teacher turned her back. Well, at least, I fought back, if hit by a paper wad.

Glad to hear you studied anyway and loved books. Is Haiti still low on books, I wonder? You would have been a great friend to hang around.

@TerrieKing60 If you like to read also, I'd love to hang with you..except we'd be staring at our books. Sounds good, actually. I switched exclusively to reading Kindle books on tablets after I moved to Thailand, in 2010.

I had so many books at my farmhouse, I couldn't store them all inside the house and had to rotate boxes of books from the attic. Before I left, I donated them to the library, and gave the best ones to my niece, who home schools her kids.

I was a keep to myself type, very quiet shy, kid in high school

I was quiet, shy, an only child from a broken home when I met my best friend in 7th grade. Her family was well known in the community and she had an older brother and sister. In high school she was the jock, the class beauty, homecoming queen, class president and I was the girl who was always with her, so by association I was one of the popular kids.

I was the ultimate loner, smart enough in my own way, not the smartest kid in the school academically, maybe number 3 but I didn't associate with the dorks either. I got on better with some of the teachers than kids, not as bad as it sounds, went surfing with a couple of them, by 16 I looked older so could go to a pub and have lunch and a drink with some of them. I began high school the most unfortunate skinny kid you could imagine, never saw kids outside of school. In my spare time I was active, long distance swimming, surfing had strenuous part time jobs. Came into my own just before I left school, we had a week at a research station on an island, civilian clothes. So all the guys had teenage boy physiques, I was 6ft2 with a 56 inch chest tanned and toned. Everybody including the teachers with us were like Shit XXX has really got a body. To add to this, a group of bikers ransacked the place while we were there, not a bikie gang, just a bunch of would be s. I didn't get to bask in my glory, my parents exited me from school a few weeks later. I have never seen any of those kids since, kept in touch with a few teachers for a bit including the super strict principal, aka Hitler who tried to stop my parents taking me out of school.

I was the go-to target for softcore bullying K-12. And college.

You know how a sick chicken gets pecked on, and all the other chickens can't stop pecking on it? I'm the sick chicken.

OK, I can really relate to that, instead of sympathy, they all get off on picking on the poor bastard who is already doing tough. From 6 to 14 it wasn't soft bullying in my case.

I kept a very low profile in high school. Flying under the radar so to speak. 😉

Was out cast. I was on jr varsity basketball team my freshman year. Never found that the jocks could talk about anything. I stayed around the nerds protected some of them. None of the jocks can play chess. Nerds rule the world anyway.

A lot like Hominid's post - I was a city boy relocated to a closed knit rural community, so I was not very popular at all. It didn't help I was one of the smarter students that screwed up 'the grading curve' for the rest of the class. I was only accepted (and not beat up everyday) because I joined the varsity football team and so instead got beat up everyday with pads on at practice. I was the lightest member of the team, but at least earned some respect - the big guys on the team always came to my aid if someone started pushing me around.

I ate lunch alone everyday for the duration of high school. I rarely spoke to anyone. I wore a long black coat and did well in my classes. I am thankful I graduated before mass shootings became a thing or I would have been under suspicion. I just wasn't interested in that world. I was a self styled stoic and I was more interested in perfecting my emotional control. I worked out every day without fail. I do miss those days of hitting the bag for an hour in the basement.

Only one friend and he barely admitted it in front of others (but he certainly didn't mind my sucking his dick...sorry for the crudeness but true).

Fact of the matter was I was bullied and shunned and ridiculed and generally despised, and if I had had access to a gun, Columbine would have been called Poston and happened in 1982 in Arizona. I seriously fantasized about going in and shooting them all.

I guess it was fortunate I didn't have a gun toting father. And that I grew out of it, found my place (enough so that I wasn't quite so miserable by 1985), and as the saying goes, it did get better.

I was neither. I was known by everyone in my highschool. I was trusted and respected by everyone. But I didn't hang with popular people. I hung with a small group of nerds. My honor was so well known, I could walk in late, and I would never be questioned. They all knew that if I was late, the cause would be rational. Course there were some that hated me because I made them feel stupid. But they still respected me.

In elementary Catholic school my brothers and I were not from Italian families and were marginally popular. In middle school and early HS I was average popular. As a senior I had few friends but was on the varsity tennis and track team so my lack of friends was my choosing. Besides I did not want to belong to the jock football, baseball clique.

I did not fit in. I wasn’t athletic or popular. I did have a small circle of friends. We used to play Dungeons and Dragons.

Definitely not popular . I was probably the only one to cut class and go to the library. I did not fit in .No clubs, and no sports except I enjoyed swimming class and art class.I would get really depressed at the end of summer in anticipation of the new school year.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19737
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.