Agnostic.com

17 1

How many of you have exited from a cult?

JK666 7 Jan 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This place is starting to sound like CA....Christianity Anonymous. ...LOL

Mine was a cult of death..called ..Christianity.

I'm an ex Mormon. They have sort of left the "cult" category in some ways, but its damn close. It takes a bit of thinking to get out when you are bred into it. I still have brothers and sisters and friends who are devout.Their solution of life after death, an exclusive hold on the "truth", and social inclusiveness are big incentives to stay "converted".

If you don't dig too deep, the teachings have a lot of appeal, and the no-drink, no-smoke, no promiscuity can be really helpful to a community.

I don't try to talk them out of it, because for the most part, they seem well ,happy and secure, and if it works for them, why not. I certainly don't think Atheism is the solution for blind happiness. Reality is a lot more challenging.

Probably most of us as all religions are cults.

I almost became a wiccan. I attended all the classes and missed the day I was to form an allegiance with the 2 gods. I just couldn't do it. The people were nice and hungry for new people to join their group.... I told myself that I'm running from one to join another. That's crazy.... I never went back.

Yes, I exited from Christianity

Not a cult, but I am an ex commune dweller, the guy who ran the place was a real authoritarian - oops, that was me. And I was, teh place was bankrupt and going into liquidation when I took over, I made it all legal, and everybody loved me for about 5 years, but then they wanted to go back to their old way, so 6 years later I left. The place was worth millions when I left, and 10 times that now.

I was indoctrinated into the Christian church. I've been out of it for about 15 years.

Does playing Dungeons and Dragons count?

Yes, Catholicism! It's probably the biggest cult around.

BTW, I lived in Fort Wayne for 12 years. I liked it, but I must say I like the weather in OK better.

I consider Jehovah's Witnesses to be a cult so yes.

gearl Level 8 Jan 30, 2018

I am an ex JW too.

I exited the Lutheran Missouri Synod cult.

Like the Amish mafia or something?

Yes, Catholicism. Well, it's just a bigger cult is all!

Does Xtianity count?

Do the United States Navy counts?

I was in that cult not so bad now looking back as it was doing it.

@azzow2 Thank You for your service and sacrifice.

@GipsyOfNewSpain And the same to you.

I got out 16 years ago. I used to be a Jehovah's Witness. The rest of my family shuns me to this day.

JK666 Level 7 Jan 30, 2018

That’s a hard one to leave! I’m sorry you were ever hog tied into that crazy house.

And to think - you are their greatest accomplishment ~

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19767
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.