Agnostic.com

19 1

Did you go to your senior prom/dance/formal?

I am curious if people participated in what is considered a coming of age activity here in the U.S. I decided not to go to prom in high school and maybe attended one homecoming dance. College was a different story. It was not important to me.

How about you?

• 35 votes
  • 13 votes
  • 19 votes
  • 2 votes
SteveB 7 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I actually had 3 girls ask me to go. I was too punk rock for such things. If I had it to do over again I still wouldn't go.

d_day Level 7 Feb 9, 2018

I went and even dated her again 45 years later.

I attended Jessamine CO high school my freshman year, Union School, school for diplomat's children in Port-au-Prince, Haiti, for my high school sophomore year, correspondence courses for junior year, then went to college at 17 years old, in 1970.

I was allowed to join my Union School classmates for their graduation ceremony (about 12 kids in all) but there was no dance. I did attend a sort of "prom" banquet put on by missionaries, where I wore a satin formal and had a date, but no dancing. It was frowned on by religious folk at that time.

I married another MK (missionary kid) who also had never danced, and had zero interest in it. After our divorce in 1995 I began clogging, ballroom and jitterbug dancing and never looked back..had a ton of fun and people would clear the floor and clap for us (whatever dance partner I had at the time).

We did it all..lifts, wrap around the waist, slides across the floor through his legs, etc. fancy, athletic stuff into my late 50s.

I miss that since I moved to Thailand in 2010, but I plan to move back to KY asap.

Yes. Went 'stag' on purpose because everyone was just getting nuts about who was going with who. Danced and had a good time.

In all my Jr and Sr High years, I went to ONE dance ! And didn't even dance ! I was super shy. My socializing was done outside of school. I was a stoner LOL My best friend and I hung out together on Prom nite. No dates for us . As for the last 12 years, I MUST dance or I am Not happy ! 🙂

I went because my boyfriend wanted to go. Skipping would have been my choice.

At my high school in those days the junior class, along with parents and community members, built elaborate theme sets within our triple gym. A Hawaiian theme when my older brother was a junior...it had a two story grass roofed building at one end...a waterfall along one wall, attendants dressed as natives. My junior year we built a two story paddle wheel boat at one end with water under it with the paddle wheel turning...and a two story Bourbon St. row of buildings at the other end...a live band played from an upper room. Senior year was a giant geodesic dome in the middle of the gym, with live band. The entire gym ceiling and walls were always covered...usually with fresh cut saplings or something...you couldn't tell it was in a gym. Small town Titusville, PA...great place to grow up. They brought in dozens of small tables acquired from local clubs for the event...then there was a prom til dawn where we showed movies in the gym, pool tables and other games were brought in...magicians, caricature artists, hypnotist acts...all kinds of stuff to keep the kids from the evils of drink and debauchery all night. We had a fantastic art teacher who was the driving force behind this. I don't think they do it that way anymore.

You wouldn't catch me, dead, at a prom. I didn't go to any of my 3 college graduations, either. It's all phony.

In my day in Puerto RIco a Prom could last up from 9:00 PM to 6:00 AM with a lot of Salsa Bands. I didn't showed up until 1:00 AM due an elicit deal I had that night. And my Honor Student GF told me you can't seat on my table now because my parents are mad at you. So I did what I could to stay out of their sight like dancing slow dance with 2 girls at the same time one in each of my legs in front of her table. And ending the night with the Sophomore she hated the most. Not the way I planned for sure. But turn out like that. In Puerto RIco they were Big events done in a Hotel with bands coming from New York and parents could purchase tickets and anyone from anywhere will attend since the bands were the drawing ticket... it was more a money maker than a night for the graduates to remember like in USA. Now I have no idea how it is. I graduated on 1972... I attended an average of 5 proms at least every year from 1969 to 1975 I think. There was no such thing like being invited.

Are you kidding? I was a super nerd and scared of girls. I only wanted to study physics!

Now look at me, a trail of women and tears (and no physics).

We have a "Senior/Year 12 Formal" I left school 6 weeks before the end and wasn't invited. My kids went to theirs and both were seriously underwhelmed.

I went. Was a waste of my time. I looked fabulous though.

@SteveB I don't have any. They disappeared many, many moons ago. If I did, I would.

I went to my senior prom with my high school sweetheart. We would eventually be married for 25 years. Proof we were happy at one time. Lol

I completed all my credi8ts a semester erly, so I didn't even takje any classes the last semester, let alone go to any events.

Went camping instead.

I went to prom... I made my own prom dress and I also made my boyfriend, his pants and shirt at that time. It was a good memory for both of us. He is no longer on this planet but the memories I hold dear.

Nope, I was still very involved in the church at that time. They didn't approve of dancing.

@SteveB, no, but maybe we should have. lol 🙂

I Do Not get that Dancing thing ! I am the happiest when I am dancing !

@flowechild62 me too!

@NFAguy53 Hahaha! Good one!

The girl I was dating at the time was a class below me, she convinced me to go to both jr and senior proms.

Wasn't interested. Getting the car ready was more important.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19948
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.