Agnostic.com

13 1

I need some intelligent advice and kind words. Here's the situation I'm not understanding:

First off, my boss likes to mess with two of us, and does it in a serious tone. Then will say she's just messing with us. 2 of us fall for it and end up in tears. A week ago, I was talking to her about Village Inn's pancakes. She mentioned blueberry ones. So I thought it would be a nice gesture to go get some and bring a hot breakfast to her. The next morning I asked in Messenger what she would like. She never saw the message in time. So remembering blueberry pancakes, I went and ordered them to go with sausage and 2 fried eggs. When I came in early to bring them, she said thanks, but she doesn't really like blueberry pancakes. She said my assistant manager does. I felt bad because I got the wrong type she didn't like. Well, she ended up not eating any of it until the afternoon. She tried the pancakes, but didn't like them. The eggs were spoilt as well as the sausage. I felt bad. She said she appreciated the thought though. So on Sunday, I told my assistant I felt bad for choosing the wrong type of pancakes. There must have been some type of miscommunication there. Yesterday she told me not to buy her anything ever again. I thought she was mad. So I felt bad. (I'm a sensitive person in general) The assistant came in and told me she's messing with me. Well, it was hurtful instead of funny. Now this morning, I go and get on Messenger, and my boss blocked me. I went to work on my day off and said I'd wait to talk to her and work things out like adults. A crew member said she's fine, but give her space. So I left. If she really is joking, this isn't funny. She takes joking to the extreme. When people normally joke with me, they are being mean or body shaming me. I grew up being bullied and the butt of everyone's joke. So I've grown to hate joking. I messaged my assistant manager. (she didn't block me) I'll wait for her message. Is she joking with me? I deleted the conversation, I always do when people block me. Or is she really mad? I had a bad day at work yesterday because I thought she was pissed. I don't want to be fired. I have a major inferiority complex. This type of thing just feeds it. I hate having to always feel bad about myself. What should I do when I go to work tomorrow? Any wise advice you guys may have? If this is a joke, I don't find it funny at all.

Sarahroo29 8 Jan 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You might want to see a therapist or attend support meetings for those with ADHD. You can learn more social cues from this. - I've never ever understood that people don't come from a place of friendship no matter how you are interacting with them. I'm unable to treat someone as their "position" rather than a human being who might just be kind. (Once they've proven they are unkind I get it). But a bit of therapy about how other people interact with the world would have been great. - It also might help the inferiority complex.

Thanks.

Remain at work and in work mode while on the premises, then take everything about work off your mind until the next work day. Buying your boss breakfast unasked could be considered inappropriate at best...worrying about how she treated your breakfast gift IS innaproprpriate. A co-worker could report you for "trying to buy favors". Please stop this behavior and just do your job during the hours you are paid to work!

Stop trying so hard! And don't take everything so personal. Some people just don't like people spending money on them. Relax take a deep breath do you job to the best of your ability and stop there. Above and beyond isn't required. Take your co-workers advice and give her space, some bosses don't like to get to friendly with their employees.

She is with others.

My assistant manager messaged back and said I overwhelm people. I have no social skills whatsoever. I didn't have friends growing up. I never get to hang out with my close friends. I just need to learn boundaries. I grew up a loner. I was ahead academically in school, but I had no one but teachers to talk to.

Others gave good advice. You're a genuinely good person, and you are open to learning, so you'll get better at navigating life. Best wishes.

She is a bully and a toxic person. Stay out of her way and find another job as soon as possible...or go above her and report her to her superior. I am sure there are others in your job that will do as well. You are not the first person she messes with. No, nope.

The important points have been covered.

I would add only this: if you know you are a sensitive person AND you know someone has a history of messing with people to the point of making them cry, you need to avoid that person, as much as possible.

That is a bully and sensitive people are like catnip for bullies. (I should know.)

Do your job, do it well and stay out of her way. She has an employee who will come in early to bring her food, not only that but comes in on her day off to try and sort out a personal problem. Most bosses would love an employee like that. If she cannot appreciate you then look for a better job or better boss. What you tried to do was a kind thing. Now she may have thought that you were trying to curry favor with her. If so just keep your distance. Same goes if she is playing mind games. Just keep doing your job well and maybe look for another one.

My assistant manager said I overwhelm people. I wrote this above. On the top.

@Sarahroo29 It is difficult to get by when you have poor self esteem. The tendency to over compensate is strong. I myself was bullied a school but I learned to overcome it. However I still have a habit of making jokes all the time as a residue from that time. I found that being good at something is a great way to start. In my case it was chess and later music was a benchmark that I could fall back on but it could be anything so long as you can say " well Im a very good.... " Remember this always. There is, and only ever will be one of YOU. Youre are a totally unique human being. Nobody in the entire world will ever be you. Rejoice and celebrate your uniqueness for it is your gift to the world.

@273kelvin No one likes different, real, nice, caring, godless, hard working, intelligent people.

@Sarahroo29 Yes they do and I am living proof if any were needed (ok maybe Im not that hard working lol). But I have lots of friends and have had many loves and 3 children and oh so many times when I was really glad to be me. Dont you ever beat yourself up for being you coz the world would be the poorer for your absence

So not in the work world but are folks normally on Messenger with their bosses? I find that odd. Also what if you send a private message to the wrong person?? Gees. Just curious not judging. Messenger didn't exist when I worked full time.

They aren't on my FB.

@Sarahroo29 When you said "Blocked your messages" did you mean texts? I call them texts. That was my confusion. 😉

You boss sounds horrible. Like a horrible person. When you know someone is going to misinterpret what you say to the point of tears - you don't do it. Period. Everyone is somewhere different in understanding what lies under what is being said/expressed, If you have a Human Resources Department you may need to go to them. You do sound like you have issues - but this boss is making it all so much worse (deliberately?!). HR might be able to facilitate a sit down meeting. "Messing with people" is not good leadership behavior. If you aren't in therapy I'd suggest it so you can get stronger from what you've survived instead of still feeling like a victim. - So I'd first suggest speaking to your boss - perhaps including the 2nd person she "messes" with. And from there Human Resources if it isn't resolved or doesn't improve.

My assistant said to give her space.

@Atheistman Supervisor? Assistant manager is the lowest on the chain.

Do you have social contact with these people you work with after work. If so that complicates things. If this is just something happening while at work, I suggest you be professional, do your work as required and not get into petty work related issues with other employees including bosses. (IMHO)

I don't hang out with any of them. Just using Messenger for my assistant boss.

You strike me as an extremely sensitive person. I get you were trying to be nice. It was a lovely gesture. However, it wasn't well-received. Regardless of what people are telling you, I'd err on the side of caution. No more gifts of any kind for anyone at work. Stop trying to figure out other people's motivations and just concentrate on doing your job. If your work environment is as toxic as you've described, it might be time to start looking for something else, somewhere else. Don't up and quit, but definitely start looking for a new job. Don't trust anyone you work with. If you're always feeling bad about yourself and second-guessing everything you do, perhaps professional counseling is in order. I think most of us could benefit from a little therapy on occasion. Don't let the assholes get you down.

Thank you both. I appreciate the back-up.

@FortyTwo She sure did @KKGator....

I'm in counseling.

What kind of work do you do and in what sort of organization?

In general, it seems like you have a lot of anxiety and might benefit from seeing a therapist. Also, most of the time what happens at work is not personal.

Check out, "The Four Agreements": It is a book that many, including myself, find useful. Good luck!

1. Be Impeccable with your Word: Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.

2. Don’t Take Anything Personally
    Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

3. Don’t Make Assumptions
    Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

4. Always Do Your Best
    Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

I work fast food. I see a therapist already.

@Sarahroo29 Well then I suggest assuming your boss is an asshole and don't try to be friends with her. Realize that if she stops being able to get you upset, then she will stop trying to mess with you as it will be no longer be fun for her. She keeps doing it because it works. If it is easy for you to get another job - go for it. Again - good luck!

Great advice - I'll take it myself...

@shockwaverider I'm job hunting tomorrow.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:20009
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.